Hi

SanPat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2020
I'm Sandra, 52 years old, from the north-west of England, purchased a second-hand pushbike last summer, hadn't ridden a bike since I was around 14! I got it because I had broken my heel a few months previous and was unable to walk far without limping and being in agony. Although I was nervous at first I soon got those childhood joyful memories back. After going on a long bike ride along the canal towpath with my three daughters a few weeks ago I've decided to get an electric model so I can keep up and go further afield. I do have asthma and a respiratory condition called bronchiectasis which does affect me going uphills on the bike also.
I've spent a few days browsing through the forum, which is great, I've gained lots of useful information, perhaps too much as I now have a headache! So I am going to be asking for some advice in my next post.
Hopefully, I will have my new Pedelec in the not too far future.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
Welcome, I like cycling towpaths because of the lack of cars and lorries, however, walkers, dogs and moored craft that hammer a pin into the path to tie up to can be a hazard. I recently managed to get my front wheel into a hole which had me off the bike, luckily I fell away from the water, a bit bruised but no other damage.

Reactions: SanPat

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Hi SanPat welcome to this informative and friendly forum on all things associated with electric bikes. Once you get your new bike you’ll find the fun factor flood back and really enjoy getting out and about.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sandra from your intro post I would think you will be best off with hub motor with simple pedal/cadence sensor so that you can simply twirl the pedal around to get going should you feel out of puff also one where a throttle can be used as well.
The other pedal system is torque sensing one used by middle motor branded bikes these require you to ride more physically and they multiply you input by 3 or 4 times but not so good if you haven't the puff or stamina.
You might want to try both types of bikes with these systems, not to compare one against the other but to compare how you think you would physical manage on a bad day or if your breathlessness showed it's face.

SanPat

Jun 3, 2020
Welcome, I like cycling towpaths because of the lack of cars and lorries, however, walkers, dogs and moored craft that hammer a pin into the path to tie up to can be a hazard. I recently managed to get my front wheel into a hole which had me off the bike, luckily I fell away from the water, a bit bruised but no other damage.
Oh dear Tarka, glad you didn't get badly injured and fall in. I must admit I don't like it when I have to go around people on the canal side of the towpath for fear of toppling off and in!

SanPat

Jun 3, 2020
Sandra from your intro post I would think you will be best off with hub motor with simple pedal/cadence sensor so that you can simply twirl the pedal around to get going should you feel out of puff also one where a throttle can be used as well.
The other pedal system is torque sensing one used by middle motor branded bikes these require you to ride more physically and they multiply you input by 3 or 4 times but not so good if you haven't the puff or stamina.
You might want to try both types of bikes with these systems, not to compare one against the other but to compare how you think you would physical manage on a bad day or if your breathlessness showed it's face.
Thanks for this information Nealth, I have wondered what the difference was in the two and which would be best for me....