Hovding Airbag for Cyclists

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Finally decided to order a hovding airbag as they are now on version 2 and down to £250, to use for commuting.

hov1.jpg

Have used for a week and here are my intial impressions:
It is very well made and is more comfortable to wear than a helmet and i'm hoping for less headaches caused by neck scrunching! as i tend to be keeping my neck a bit straighter.
It doesn't feel too heavy on the shoulders at all. It also fits in my rucksack where my helmet doesn't

hov2.jpg

For me it is a p.i.t.a to put on without looking in a mirror to line up the Zip at the front. I am slowly getting to grips doing it without looking though.
it is easy to arm and makes an audible noise when arming & disarming.The usb charging point is easy to get at too.
It won't protect from a foreign object striking you on the head, though highly unlikely.
I was a bit nervous at first thinking just how sensitive it was and taking corners that extra bit carefully or bending down but you soon ignore it is there.
I wouldn't use it for off road mountain biking until there comes the day it can be reused! I am definitely going to keep using it and the helmet will be a backup but hopefully it will never deploy!
Yes it's expensive, yes it's another device to keep charged but a good addition (as Flecc reiterates no.1 is a mirror & common sense) to the safety conscious like me.
thanks
Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These do make a lot of sense and give far better protection than most bike helmets.

Might be a bit sweaty on the one or two days of the year that summer occurs in Britain.

Advertisers