How High can you go on a single charge

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
I cannot seem to find any info around on this subject so you experienced E-bikers what are your findings .
whats your Battery
how many feet of ascending have you done on one charge
how heavy are you

what is the best gear and power mode to eek out the maximum height gain

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A piece of string question, list your bikes spec and we'll make some guesses.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
A piece of string question, list your bikes spec and we'll make some guesses.
No its not. The OP is asking how high you can go, not how high he can go.

I don't have any data myself, but I know there are peeps on here who like to climb stuff.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: trouty

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
No its not. The OP is asking how high you can go, not how high he can go.

I don't have any data myself, but I know there are peeps on here who like to climb stuff.
How high can you go on a single charge? that's a how long is a piece of string question to me. So you give an answer, then guessing the OP uses your answer to estimate how far he and his bike might go, seems rather vague to me.

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
Maybe Vague but just wanting real world data from the folks who are riding at the moment .

I have not yet got an Ebike ( waiting for delivery of a trek powerfly 9 fs plus )

Yes lots of variables I know but some data to compare would be cool as eagerly wanting to get my mitts on the ordered bike and do some data collecting of my own .

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
400 wh classic bosch, flat in 15 miles with 3,000 feet of climbing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How much ascending do want to achieve and battery size is all important.
I use lipo packs so on a typical 50 - 70 mile / 5 or 6 hr ride to and from the downs N or S, I can accumulate approx 3.5 - 4k of climbing. Climbing will reduce range so if it is very local riding then you could probably manage more. For my rides my lipo's are configured in to a 31.2 ah pack or approx 1120w/h
Eddie with his KTM does some impressive rates of alp climbing so may he can give you some estimates.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have one e-MTB climb planned for 2018 which is totally off road and covers 8,740ft of elevation gain over a distance of 15.40 miles. That climb will take the best part of two batteries to complete, and will form the end of a 650 mile ride, with the sole aim of setting a world record. I have completed the last stage of the ride many times to the 4,131ft elevation gain point over a distance of 9.7 miles, and each time this has taken one battery to complete. No one has ever ridden up or down the remaining 5.7 miles and 4,609ft of elevation gain. Anyone doing so, would potentially face a very lengthy prison sentence, and a very hefty fine.

Below is just one example of a reasonable climb, using one battery (Well almost). There are many more.

Battery changed at the ten mile point, and ride down not recorded. I had to gain permission to ride the last five miles, as it is a hiking only route. It turned out that my permission wasn't as legit as I had been lead to believe, but no one seemed to mind, and thankfully unlike in the UK, every hiker was super friendly and supportive.

10.4 miles with an elevation gain of 6428ft Mostly off road.

Climbed using a mix of eco, tour and sport.

The concrete is there to gain traction. I only made it half way up, before the bike tried to loop, and I had to push and carry the bike the last half of this section of climb. :(

Part one of the ride back down. Only the first clip is of the actual route. I took an alternative route half way through the second onwards.

The target for 2017, is to go beyond the above cable car station and to reach the one at Piz Gloria. I have seen one clip of someone riding down after having taken the cable car up, but I have no idea if anyone has actually tried to ride up. That is what e-MTB's are for. :)

This screen shot taken from the clip below, shows the Birg cable car station that I reached this year (shown with red arrow) and also shows with a yellow arrow, roughly the summit of proposed world record setting ride.

I also plan to tackle the ridge on the hiking path that is shown on this photo, marked with a red arrow. I have no idea what is on the other side, but it'll be fun finding out. I just wish that I could be out thee right now doing it. I get so much fun out of going for elevation gain.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Give Eddie a budget he will do Everest...

On a normal bike on sealed "roads" I can climb to about 900 metres from sea level and that spot is about 45 km from home (which is more or less sea level). That is with a 20 Ah nominative (16 Ah usable) 37 V lipo battery.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its 100km so about 6 and 2 back up.:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it depends what way you go straight up its 5.5 miles

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Did someone mention Everest. Everest without the snow below, now how many batteries would that require?

https://www.strava.com/activities/775056852

Got to say Nealh, that is bloody impressive. :)

Give Eddie a budget he will do Everest...
I'm having to settle for the Eiger. :)

Back on home turf and off road, I never seem to get the range that everyone else claims to get from their Bosch powered bike. I would guess that the average using say 75% eco and 25% tour, might come out at 30-35 miles over roughly 4,000ft of elevation gain. It could also go as low as roughly 20 miles, but without looking back through my ride stats, I have no idea what the elevation gain would have been, but suspect that it would still be about 4,000ft. Head winds, and muddy conditions make a lot of difference.

Talking specifically about the Bosch system.

I get more range from riding the hardtail than I do the full suspension bike, but the CX motor is not in my opinion a battery friendly system when compared with either the Performance Line or Active Line. At a push I might say that it gives a one gear advantage, but even then, I'm not that certain.
If I wanted to cover range, over road terrain with average elevation gain (if it exists) then the Active Line would take some beating, and if I wanted range over off road terrain, then the Performance Line would get my vote.
Above all else though, I think that final drive gearing plays possibly the most significant role between any of the systems. Much can be gained or lost through gearing and the rider in put required.
That is just my opinion though. :)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
awesome adventures there Eddie thanks

i have a week biking in switzerland next year so better get used to carrying a spare battery .
looks like I should get a good day out in the dales with one bosch 500 battery .

I have a friend who makes his living from lithium batteries i wonder if he could build a spare pack for my soon to arrive bike
anyone looked in to doing this with a worn out battery

Reactions: flecc

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
Hi Trouty,
I cycle around the dales Inglebourgh Clapham, Pennygent areas i am around 95kg using a Haibike 400w not sure on the total ascents i get around 20 miles however I am not very power conservative. If the route looks more than 20miles would take charger and plan for a stop, Always nice to have an excuse for pub lunch :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Got to say Arstu, that is bloody impressive. :)
I did 6 reps with him as the dark and rain came in to distract him a bit, my battery was done when I left him with just 4 reps to do. As you say bloody impressive, and that's his second Everesting challenge this year.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
i have a week biking in switzerland next year so better get used to carrying a spare battery .
looks like I should get a good day out in the dales with one bosch 500 battery .
Sounds perfect already. :) Where are you heading off to?

As for carrying battery, you soon get used to it, and I don't ever really notice that I am carrying it. Though part of that is probably down to my superb Camelbak Mule.

You bastid Artstu, you made me loose a night of sleep!

You had me mentally going over the ride below, with thoughts of Everesting! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/656138180

Perspective is a very odd thing as well.

The overall ride length was 6.3 miles, normally it would be nearer to ten, but I took a stupidly steep short cut. And the overall elevation gain was 4,214ft (1284m) The climb was completed using tour, and two very short bursts (as in seconds) of sport mode. The battery level was down to one bar after the climb.

If I have read correctly the Everesting challenge is 29,028ft (8,848m)
To complete the task using this route, I would have to ride it 7 times, with the total distance being 44 miles which 'sitting here' kind of feels doable.:D

Using the same route again, but completing the challenge by riding just the first 1.7miles that has an elevation gain of 1,525ft (464m) I would have to ride the route 19 times, with the overall distance being a mere 32.3 miles.

Completing the second version would surely be an impossibility for anyone. If you open the ride up on strava and scroll along the gradient scale at the bottom, it is a completely mental climb, and all mtb guide books recommend not doing it, and to take the train up. I've ridden it on a pedal mtb, and ended up spewing my guts up halfway up the climb.
Everesting certainly looks an interesting challenge, but you would certainly have to choose your route wisely, and even then, be of super human fitness level.

If only I was so much younger and 7 or 19 times fitter!:D

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Artstu

Related Articles

Advertisers