How i can increase max speed of my bike?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Here's an idea Col.

Put your thoughts into a single thread then whenever you feel the need to preach to others just put a single post linking to that other thread.

That way the threads are not derailed, readers can be aware of your thoughts & we don't scare off new contributors.

Oh & have a good read of the link in my post above.

Reactions: Ryan Yorke

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have to say that I am with KTM on the speed issue.
Bikes are not that popular in the UK and there are a sizeable number of car drivers that would happily see them banned from the roads.
As we saw with the recent death caused by a courier without brakes, a sudden 'Black Swan' event caused by a derestricted ebike could generate huge unwelcome publicity in the newspapers.
It is foolish to stick your head in the sand and fail to perform any critical analysis of the current situation.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
No Col

You asked that question with the specific purpose of furthering your cause knowing full well you would follow it up in the way you have.

Problem is that you have gone down this route so many times you have ended up believing yourself.

Now how about my suggestion above?

Which suggestion above... the one where I said stop posting if you want me to stop disagreeing with you or defending myself??

The question is simple, because I want to understand.

Why do people think its ok to ride home made electric motorbikes and yet they think its not ok to ride petrol ones? This is what I don't understand.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
The one about rather than derailing other threads open a thread about your query & link to that when you feel the need.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Okay I'll help you out.

Start a thread on the subject:-
"Why don't people buy a motorbike rather than try to increase the speed of their pedelec."

Then whenever somebody asks about increasing the speed of their pedelec put a single post on their thread linking to yours & ask them if they would contribute to your thread.

That way their thread isn't derailed, they can be aware of your thoughts & we don't scare off new contributors.

Reactions: Ryan Yorke

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The same old chestnut that goes from pillar to post !!!
The OP should have posted in the s pedelec/non eapc sub forum then we might not have the same old chestnut/right or wrongers arguing the toss as usual and getting nowhere except going around in circles :(.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Which suggestion above... the one where I said stop posting if you want me to stop disagreeing with you or defending myself??

The question is simple, because I want to understand.

Why do people think its ok to ride home made electric motorbikes and yet they think its not ok to ride petrol ones? This is what I don't understand.
They think its OK because they can get away with it. Try ridding a bicycle with a petrol motor responsibly in a cycle lane/path and you won't last long. My distrust in government stems back to been 14 and not been able to ride a moped legally. I thought they wanted us to be European !

Sent from my T1005 using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I don't think he's been that bad, he's not understood my original post, but I'm sure we can let him off.

He's not understood that I was asking a question, granted it was a loaded one, but it was a question that hasn't been answered. If you're going to ride an illegal eBike why not just ride an illegal motorbike?

Or if you're talking about my posts, its not a personal crusade, I'm just the one speaking about it on here. Its an industry wide crusade coming fom all but one major bike brand, and all motor brands and its backed by governments across Europe.

Which is why bikes sold from the launch of 2019 won't be able to be tampered with.
Whatever safeguards the manufacturers put in there someone will find a way to bypass them.. I suspect some will consider it a challenge!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Whatever safeguards the manufacturers put in there someone will find a way to bypass them.. I suspect some will consider it a challenge!
The majority of hackers do it for the sport of cracking something that someone else has created to be uncrackable. I'm sure they will be lining up to take on an unmodifiable ebike.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
and my point about the dongles also appears to have been lost on you. I don't think it'll cause eBikes to be banned. I think it'll cause eMTB to be banned from trail centres, bike parks, mtb events etc etc, which will kill the industry and the sport for lots of people who love it.
This is my concern too. If that were to happen my mountain biking days are over and all because some fudgenugget considers themselves above the law.
Before anyone starts spouting off about speeding, that’s individually accountable and punished accordingly.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
+
This is my concern too. If that were to happen my mountain biking days are over and all because some fudgenugget considers themselves above the law.
Before anyone starts spouting off about speeding, that’s individually accountable and punished accordingly.
In 1959, myself and 3 friends walked up Pen y Fan, the highest mountain in the Brecon Beacons. The ground we trod just had a few sheep tracks and the whole of the mountainside was available to walk.
20 years later, walking up the mountain became extremely popular with hordes of people doing it every weekend. The result was they wore a 10 foot wide track in the sparse grass cover, exposed the underlying soil leading to swift erosion.
The result was that the track needed repairs and walkers confined from other parts of the mountain.
To suggest that using what are effectively motor bikes on bike trails could lead to the same situation and therefore banning of ebikes on trails.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's because illegal e-bikes are environmentally sound compared to the i.c. ones!

It's a bit like the criminal who feels virtuous because he only steals from the rich who can afford it. :D

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Ryan Yorke

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2018
Nottingham
I feel bad if am implicit in scaring off the OP, and I hope that is not the case, but after all, I wasn’t the one responsible really.
I am new to this forum myself, but from experience on many other forums it is certainly frowned upon for anyone to hyjack other people’s threads for their own personal crusade. (Like it or not, two very fitting terms.)
KTM, it seems you find this incredibly difficult, but if you try really really hard it’s quite simple, before posting just try and ask yourself ‘Is what I’m about post answering the OP’s question?’, ‘Is the OP asking about the legality of ebikes’ and ‘Am I posting this to be helpful, or for my own personal agenda?’ Maybe you could suggest the OP moves his post to the dark, dirty, sordid section of the forum that is the S-Pedelec section.
Personally I don’t care about EMTB’s, I’m sorry, but my opinion is if you’re fit enough to go down the slopes you’re fit enough to get back up again. The use of bikes for commuting has huge benefits for the country and the planet, such as fewer cars on the road meaning less congestion and more importantly pollution. Also a healthier population meaning less strain on the NHS. EMTB’s just benefit individuals that can’t be bothered to do the work. If that’s the case, why not get a motorbike to ride trails, as after all, they are a far superior product.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The problem is that i want higher speed..

Pedal faster. :D

Good point. They're push bikes, pedal assisted ebikes. Motorbikes can't go where they can go. That would be illegal and quite apparent. A modded / dongled ebike is not totally apparent. Would it be totally illegal if it cut out at 20 mph instead of 15.5 mph? Only if it's a legal ebike. If you were seeing it, doing 20 - 25 mph on the road, you'd be none the wiser. :)

15.5 mph is, is generally considered by many to be too slow for commuting purposes. However, anyone on a far unsafer racing bike can belt along at 20 - 25 mph, and often considerably faster, without it being a legal issue.

Therefore, I deduce that it's probably safer. and much less apparent, to get one of the new type e-racing, drop handlebar, style bikes and to fit a dongle to assist you with a more suitable commuting speed. No-one would bat an eyelid.. and you'd be much safer riding an ebike than pedalling like a whirling dervish to reach the same speed on a regular push-bike.

Come to think of it, most of the cycling commuters that I pass are lycra clad roadies on racing bikes. There's an opportunity for some of the trades-persons on here to create an ebike to suit that popular commuting need. Even without a dongle. :)

image.jpg Haibike_XDURO-Race-S-Pro.jpgR_Biketronic_Race-R_Biketronic_Starfighter_1.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Yorke

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2018
Nottingham
KTM did not hijack the thread, he merely pointed out the illegality of the Ops proposal
Which is entirely in accord with the purpose of this forum
It was you RY that attacked KTM
Again I’m new to this forum, I’m not sure how things work here. But on every other forum I’ve used deviating from the topic intended by the OP to a topic the poster wishes to talk about is literally the definition of hyjacking a thread

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nealh and LeighPing

Advertisers