how long is your chain?

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Thought I'd change the matted oily chain on my Raleigh Leeds- panasonic motor and hub gear.
What would you think- well i thought that too -a single speed 'BMX" chain should be fine. So had one in the shed and then find it's not as long as the one I've just removed - by about 12 links. So, luckily having kept excess links aside in the past i made up an equivalently long one only to find the new chain's 1/8th" width won't go through the jockey wheel/ derailleur [transverse gap] rear mechanism. Dig out a 7-9 gear job which is an encouraging 3/32th" only to find is not long enough and this time no spares; went down LBS nothing longer than 116 links in any chain - and i need at least 124 - so have to buy 2 chains and then find the ones i bought are in fact too wide - because they're single speed- ok..er?... it seems all s.speed are 1/8th"- yes that critical.
So cleaned the old chain with meths and wire brush and put it back on.
Q; i suppose most electric bike chains are extra long; hoping i can use the 1/8th"s on my Lafrees - haven't looked yet - otherwise i'm stuck with a lot of useless shackles.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Mines about 290 links
But don't worry you can help your kiddies , spares are always handy , having them stops things breaking.
It's true, thirty minutes after dumping a spare you suddenly need it!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just stick to the same make and starting with buying two chains, just keep the leftover and use it at each new chain time.

But the correct longer chains can be bought from some of the e-bike companies. It's usually the bikes witn rear of seatpost batteries that need them, due to their longer frame length.

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
yes. i've come to the same conclusion. 2 chains or special 'e-bike chain' of 132 links i think it is from 50-Cycles.
On inspection i think the panasonic mk 1 will take the 1/8th as opposed to a 3/32ths chain. K-Sera

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it is the 1/8" on the original Panasonic unit. 3/32" Derailleur chain sits too high on the chainwheel teeth, riding on the shoulders.

Reactions: marwigan

Advertisers