Help! How long your chains/cassettes last for +500W middrive motors? Does middrive make sense for commuting?

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I was wondering does middrive make sense for commuting use? What kind of mileages you get out of your drivetrain with motors like bbs02 or tsdz2?

We get a lot of snow here during winter so I have to change tires multiple times per year to studded and to non studded depending on snow/ice situation. During winter and spring(approximately November-March/April) we have a lot sharp gravel on roads which punctures a lot of bike tires. So I thought middrive could be easier and safer for maintenance.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I've change chains on my Bosch ALP mid drive every 1700 miles and I plan to change the cassette somewhere north of 6000. The front sprocket I changed from a 38 to a 32 so that will take me to 10,000+ I imagine.
If you're worried about chain wear, especially if your bike is getting covered in salt a lot, a chain guard makes sense for commuting.

Darren

Reactions: mt247

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
For commuting on the road a simple geared rear hub motor will remove rather than add stress to your drive train and your drive train will therefore last a lot longer.