How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
flecc, I'm hoping to get a second e-mtb sometime soon, and if you are in the Ashdown Forest area when the weather improves (spring onwards), I'd gladly take you for a ride in and around the area. Sticking to the permitted rights of way of course. :) Using the permitted routes, you can link together a very nice 20 mile 'ish' ride. Be prepared to stop at either a coffee shop or pub though. ;)

In relation to the tolerance on AF, there is always going to be some that will spoil it, and I can think of one lad that I went for a one and only ride with. He seemed to think that he had a right to ride where ever he wanted, and he ended up getting into a shouting match with a land owner, and made threats towards her. I didn't know the area that we were riding in, and had trusted him that we were on permitted routes, and we weren't. I felt very annoyed that he had both confronted the land owner, and also the fact that he had mislead me.
I don't really have to much of an issue riding in certain places where perhaps I shouldn't, but I'd certainly never involve any one else in this, and I'd certainly avoid all confrontation, and bend over backwards to do the opposite.
In the case of AF, it's one of the reasons that I ride at night time or very early morning before anyone else is up.
I'm currently in the process of trying to gain permitted use to ride in two separate private woodlands that back onto the forest, each of about 500 acres. If it comes off, I'll be very happy.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I am always pleased when the illegal quad bikers have ridden on the local bridle paths as they smooth the way for old men on bikes. Horses do make a mess but not as bad as a collision with a quad bike would.

D

Deleted member 4366

The photographer was taking photos of butterflies when the cyclist tried to grab his camera? Are the police really that stupid?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Are the police really that stupid?
That can never be ruled out, but I suspect the giveaway was the hundreds of pics of butterflies on the camera's SD card.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The photographer was taking photos of butterflies when the cyclist tried to grab his camera? Are the police really that stupid?
I hope that the photos of butterflies were better than the one of the cyclist. :D

And what about this bit.

"At the time he was riding a black and orange mountain bike, but is also thought to have a white bike with black trim."

I suspect that there is much more to this story.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
70 mph winds here,no way am I going out in that.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
No photos from todays 20 odd mile ride, but it was still an interesting one all the same.

Someone from my home town started to follow me on Strava this week, then sent me a message suggesting a ride together. After exchanging details, today was the day, and after introductions we set off.
I suggested starting off on local mod ground, as I knew from my previous ride earlier in the week, that it was very dry in there. Clearly we weren't supposed to ride it, and we did get a surprise when a load of soldiers jumped up from the ground! Modern camo gear is very good. :D They were far enough away for us to ignore the shouting, and we just went on our way and quietly left the grounds. It's a very good short cut and potentially cuts out five miles and also some dangerous roads. Gunfire or roads!! :confused:
Actually I've ridden enough through there often enough to know when and where the live fire is. :)

The guy that I rode with had never seen an e-mtb before, although his in-laws both live in Holland and ride e-bikes. I think that the concept possibly puzzled him!
The ride was a really enjoyable one, and like when riding with SRS, it was good to be riding with someone of similar age (21yrs old cough) and with the same interest of just being outside enjoying the open space on mountain bikes.
The ride was of very mixed terrain, some road stone tracks through the army ground, public metaled highways, a bit of grass, and guess what, MUD! Thankfully not so much mud today though, and I returned with almost clean clothing.
What did impress me, is that I think that I really must be starting to get fitter. Despite the length of the ride, I returned after having only used one bar of the batteries five available. Riding with someone else, certainly makes hauling 20 plus kg of un assisted ebike far easier to do. On one a particular climb of about a mile long, I usually tackle it using tour mode, yet today I did the whole climb without even thinking about using the battery power.
I wonder what percentage of riding is actually down to your own mental approach, rather than a physical one. Don't get me wrong, my knees and ankles are feeling it, but it's still good to know that I can do it. :)
The guy that I rode with, ride three evenings a week, rain or shine, which is similar to what I had been trying to do, but have recently slipped away from. The next ride together is Friday evening, and I now have in mind to possibly just use my pedal mtb for when riding with him, and save the e-mtb for when riding on my own. It should hopefully help increase my fitness level a bit more.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Did he try your bike?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I managed four & half miles today before the first bar went out. Either me or the battery is knackered.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Kinninvie, I had thought about offering him a ride, but my frame size is the largest, and he was riding the smallest. The seat post doesn't really go down low enough to allow for short riders. Shame though. :(

Croxden, My battery often drops half to one bar within the first mile of leaving the house. No idea why it does it, but it seems to settle often this. Yesterday it is fine and didn't do it.

Hi TK, the set up seems to be very good, although I really need to play around with the tyre pressures a bit more. I've been airing caution and running them high. I was told to expect pressure loss between rides, but this hasn't happened either.
My one and only regret, is that I didn't hold out and wait until the Panaracers had been released (they are now) There is nothing wrong with these tyres and the grip is superb, it's just that I like Panaracers more.

I remember reading on here someone's comment about me cleaning the bike after every ride, and they couldn't understand why I do it. Here is the reason. It was dark and horrid when I got back in yesterday, and left the bike in the van.

This is what greeted me this morning. The soil here is for some reason very corrosive. :(

I am also becoming increasingly convinced that Nyon is not in the least bit suitable, or even designed for e-mtb use. The system is just too big, vulnerable and simply put, not durable enough. I'm afraid that it gets a big thumbs down from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinKitten

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I popped out for yet another evening/night ride tonight. A fraction under 26 miles, which a fair bit was ridden with no assistance. The battery would probably only have made it to about 20 miles max if I had been lucky. As it was, I returned with it completely depleted. I have to say that the performance line motors offer pretty poor battery life over the Active Line motors. I guess that is the consequence of an extra 12Nm or torque.
It was a mixed ride of off road and on road, with the off road sections being particularly muddy and wet. Thankfully I stayed on the bike, but it was a close call in relation to putting feet down into very un appealing mud a few times. Clipless pedals and low speed become a dodgy mix! :)
Annoyingly my main helmet light, packed up, I guess that it was as charged up as I had thought that it was, and without suitable lighting, I opted for a short cut, back through the army camp. The first decent into it, is probably about 1 mile long and very fast. I got to the bottom of it, and was halted by "no access live fire in operation" signs and tape. ******! I couldn't face turning round, and would never made it back home with even a remote glimmer of battery life left, so chanced it. That's the fastest couple of miles that I've ever ridden off road. :) They must be using silencers these days!
In truth, it's easy enough to spot when the camp is in use. The two give away signs are gun fire and helicopters. Neither of which were happening tonight.

I still prefer riding at night to daytime. I just seem far quicker at night time. I guess that if you can't see it, it can't hurt you, and when you do see it, it's too late to let it worry you and put you off.:D
Plus it's so much quieter and nicer. It's just great being outdoors.

So once again, the bike is dirty!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It must be a lot warmer down south. Either that or you're very hard. I did about thirty miles today with the temperature hovering around 29 deg Farenheit. There were lots of patches of black ice on the single-track roads, which made it very dangerous, especially as it's all up and down. We have snow now, so I won't get much chance to go out tomorrow.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You aren't selling that one to me Dave. It sounds horrible.

Far better to be sitting in front of an open fire when conditions get like that. :)

It was icy here yesterday morning, but it quickly warmed up. I did have to force myself to get out and ride, but once out, I didn't want to stop.
Sadly working outside as I do during the day, doesn't always inspire going back outside again after coming home to warm up. Rain has stopped play at work today.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think I'm like you. I go out for a few miles to get a bit of fresh air, and then keep going until the battery's flat. I'm on target for a record breaking January. More details coming on Feb 1st. I've been out everyday this year so far except one, due to an errand I had to run (in my car).

To be honest. I can't think of any bikes that can take the sort of punishment that you dish out. Even a non-electric bike would require a lot of maintenance; however, I agree with you about the robustness of the Nyon. Have you thought about trying a BBS01/2 on a decent MTB?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My issue is that when I do come back from any ride over 20 miles, my knees quickly tell me that I have actually covered more miles than I should. It's really frustrating when the mind is willing and keen, but the body can't take it.
I'll look forward to the Feb 1st. :)

In relation to the self build, I can eventually see two builds happening. :) It won't be for a while though yet, as another bike is on the cards to go along side this one, but it'll happen.

Reactions: TinKitten

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I'm still getting used to my new oxydrive kit and am primarily using the bike off road.
I must say that it's very capable as was the bike before the kit but now I am much more capable with it!
Hopefully the electrics will put up with the mud and water which are inevitable when you wander off the beaten track as I did today, 20 miles around my local woods. Tried to flatten the battery using full power but still had a couple of bars (of six) left at the end of the ride.
Also tried to rig a beavertail xl mud guard to save me from the splatter... I'll have to rethink that one, definitely need a crud catcher on the down tube to keep it off the battery though.

:)

Last edited:

Advertisers