How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Best thing i ever bought an electric bike.
Brilliant. :)

Where was the photo taken?

Braver man than I Eddie, I don't mind getting muddy and don't mind getting splashed when going through water but I get no enjoyment from cycling in the cold and wet.
I must admit that I didn't really enjoy it either. I was out for a very slow ride searching for a locally lost dog. I went out to search anywhere and everywhere that thought might offer shelter to the dog. Sadly no luck though.

Currently I'm sitting here like a bear with a massively sore head. My knee has been getting progressively worse, and yesterday I was on a roof and twisted it big time. To say that I am grumpy would be an understatement. It's beautiful and sunny, I can barely walk. :(

Last edited:

les drew

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2014
Brilliant. :)

Where was the photo taken?

I must admit that I didn't really enjoy it either. I was out for a very slow ride searching for a locally lost dog. I went out to search anywhere and everywhere that thought might offer shelter to the dog. Sadly no luck though.

Currently I'm sitting here like a bear with a massively sore head. My knee has been getting progressively worse, and yesterday I was on a roof and twisted it big time. To say that I am grumpy would be an understatement. It's beautiful and sunny, I can barely walk. :(
That was taken at scaling damn not to far from whitby.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I love Whitby and am aiming to ride there this summer.
Its 74 miles from here on the sustrans cycle route 168.

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I have ridden a small one briefly and had some concerns so I am arranging a more extensive test of the correct sized one this week. I do not want to say too much on a public form until I have been able to do a more representative test. There are some software oddities that I would need adjusting. Got a new motor in the AMT Pro and that is going well but it does seem a little stiff. I actually switched to dry weather lubrication yesterday so of course it has tipped down ever since. I hear that Haibike and Bosch are keeping the same SES gear for the 2016 bikes.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I understand. :)

I thought about putting dry lube on the chain as well just a few days ago, but decided against it for now. :)

Recently I have been using a MuckOff wet lube, and they must have changed the properties of it. It works incredibly well, but boy does it attract a build up of dusty black mess. :(

In respect of riding, twisted knee or not I had to get out on the bike yesterday, just to keep my 'relative' sanity. Thankfully it appears that pedalling had no adverse issue with the knee so all is good.

Last edited:

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I've been out riding every night and this bike is made for exploring. It's great on sand and mud. Today I really need to clean my bike(s).

Riding waterfront. Overcast and light rain.
20150518_195531-1.jpg

Gnarly and slippery single track.
20150518_200255.jpg

It's getting greener but where are the warm spring days? It was +8C.
20150518_200623.jpg

Last edited:

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I have also been using the much off wet oil, albeit the ceramic version. I went back to Muc off dry because of the thick black paste that forms in dusty conditions, although I have been really pleased with it in the wet. I like to keep my chain spotless and it is certainly more of a chore with the sticky lube. The ceramic has a great smell by the way. In the summer I clean and lube my chain every ride, I can remember only once did I spray WD40 on my chain in the whole of my childhood.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sherman, that looks a lovely bit of mixed terrain. Once again, stunning photos. I particularly like the "gnarly and slippery single track" :)

Lumos, I'll have to try the ceramic version. I've always been a bit dubious about chain lubes and their claims, but do feel that Muc Off is the best of the bunch that I have tried. I always carry a small bottle of it in my rucksack as well, and have had to resort to using it a couple of times when in chalky conditions.
I'm another who also likes to keep their chain spotless, and like you, I clean and lube it after every ride.
I tend to degrease it after every ride when washing the bike, then use an air line to blast all the moisture out, then spray it with Duck oil, blast it once again with the air line, then liberally apply chain lube, wiping the excess off before going out for the next ride. This also includes the side links for the simple reason that I can't stand to see any corrosion forming. I'm just as anal over the rear cassette as well. It's an odd thing to say, that the silky smooth clicking from my bearings as you free wheel is a pleasure to listen to. I'm sure that I'm getting worse. :D

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
My technique is to arrive home in the 11th gear, clean the bike, use the Park Tool chain scrubber with the delightfully citrus flavoured Park Tools chain cleaning solution. When shiny and rinsed I dry the chain with a rag, dry the rest of the bike then with the bike still on the stand liberally apply the Muc Off wet or dry so that the chain is pretty wet. I then keep peddling and change down the gears until the excess oil has got onto the cassette as it will start rusting immediately otherwise. I tend to put Rhino Shine on the bike at the end and the cassette gets some of this as well to cover the bits that the oil didn't. Finally I wipe off the excess oil before I go out the next day. The ceramic wet Muc Off is purple and smells divine so it got my vote. I have never had to re-lube mid-ride when using it but with the dry when I get caught in the rain is gone at 15 miles or less.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi all, I've had an enjoyable few hours reading all the off road posts some really interesting posts and excellent photos.. After considering an eBike for some time I still could not make my mind up then saw and read the reviews on the Haibike sduro allmtn rc and my mind was made up.
Ordered the bike from J. E. James in Rotherham as they were my nearest dealer (Good service and really nice staff) This bike is the best thing I have ever bought I use it mainly off road battery life is amazing and just can't stop smiling as it powers me up the hills. So far I have covered around 200 miles and as an indication of battery life one run was 24.8 miles with 1780ft of ascent and used just over 50%. Will keep you all posted on mine and the bikes progress. Ed. In North Leeds, West Yorkshire

Attachments

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Billliant Izzyekerslike, always good to have another e-mtb out there, and good luck with bike. :)

Now we just need some photos of it in action. :)

Three from yesterday evenings very chilled ride, trying out a new location.

And one from a few evenings ago. Kind of urban exploring, but without any buildings.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It seemed a shame not to get out and enjoy a bit f the bank holiday sunshine today, so down to Wilimington it was, for a short ride of that section of the South Downs.

Today's ride swapped mud for Cow and sheep poo, and this was something that I'd forgotten the joys of.

This was the best part of a mile of having my legs whipped!

Someone kindly warned me about these before I reached the field. Apparently they had already chased two sets of today. I aired on the side of caution, and just rode along the adjacent field. As it happens they were fine, and just being inquisitive. Still better to be safe than sorry though.

And some of natures finest. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not my bike tho.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The composition of the KTM against the log pole is excellent Eddie it is worthy of being in a picture gallery.
Interesting to see a colony of honey bees (feral) living under the man hole cover, probably an escaped captive swarm as such today many ferals don't servive due to mites and disease that weaken them.
On another note I haven't been able to get out for a proper ride since the13th as work at home and my bees have kept me busy so looking at going out early Tuesday for 5 or 6 hrs.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Many thanks for the kind words Nealh. :)

Ref the bees, I hope that they do manage to survive. They were certainly very busy and very noisy. They were just beside a gateway on one of the bridleways. At the moment I suspect that their greatest threat could be from someone interfering with them, which I hope won't happen.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only a complete fool would think of interfering with them and would maybe find out at their peril. I guess they will be ok until until one of the utilities decide they need to lift a cover plate then will get a little shock, then it will be a job for a fellow beekeeper to rescue.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A hobby that has always appealed to me, but somehow I've never got around to. We are about to get a new next door neighbour who also happens to be a bee keeper, so who knows. I've already told him that he is more than welcome to place some hives in our garden. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you use a dongle on that bike ed?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Being an apiarist is a very rewarding and a fascinating hobby and the honey is like nothing you have tasted forget the bland rubbish that supermarkets sell. Time is needed and sometimes they do test your patience but I LOVE IT :D:D, hence why I don't get out on my bikes as often as I would like to( esp May to Sept) but when I do I really enjoy the rides.
Maybe your new neighbour can lend you a veil so you are able to look in when he is carrying out an inspection/ manipulation.

Advertisers