How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Good speed there, Jamie.

Nearly 15mph over 20+ miles is respectable roadie pace, so you are doing well on a mountain bike, even with a battery.

Have you de-restricted the bike with a dongle?

Looks like you would get some use from one.
Sorry Rob, I missed your reply yesterday, yes it's got a dongle fitted.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice one again Jamie. It's really good motivation having someone else who is willing to go out there and get wet and muddy!

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only fool! :D

Looking at your jeans, the best investment that I have made recently after trying on many different brands, are these Rose bib tights. ROSE Thermal bib tights DESIGN III offers at the cycling shop Rose Bikes UK They are fantastic and worth every penny.

My next ride should be Xmas day morning. I've been looking forward to this one, but if this weather carries on the way that it currently is, I may sadly pass it by. In my mind the day was going to be crisp sunny and cold. Somehow I can't see that happening.

I'm also still aiming to do the Spam Winter Challenge on Salisbury plain this coming Sunday, although the 125mile drive is putting me off slightly.

Out of interest, where are you in the UK?

Last edited:

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Hey mate, yeah I've got to get some some waterproof trousers, will check them out in the link.

Im out again tomorrow afternoon, I've got to got to work in the morning.

I'm in beaconsfield, junc 2 of the M40.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It hurt to pay the same price as cheap boots, but I bought myself a pair of Sealskinz socks today. Sealskinz Thin Ankle Length Waterproof Socks for protection, warmth, comfort, moisture wicking. Buy from outdoorgb.com They seem to keep getting recommended on various forums, so I figured that I would give them a go.

Beaconsfield is a bit of a trip for me, but I'll have to pop up some time next year for a ride out. :)

Until seeing your bike Jamie, I'd not even given the Haibikes a second glance. Looking at Martins website, that is one impressive range of bikes, and just as importantly a good range of frame sizes. I reckon that you made the right choice of bike. :)

edit...Along with the hard tail, the full suspension Haibike is now certainly growing on me, especially when comparing the spec with some of the other UK available offerings. It's also good to see that they still offer 26" wheels. :)
Again just out of interest, did you go for 26, 27.5" or 29" wheels?

Last edited:

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Cheers Eddie, yeah I'm more than happy with it, Mine has 29" wheels, I'm 6ft 5" so went with the biggest frame, it's a big bike, about 8" longer than my other bike.

I keep thinking maybe I should have bought a full suspension bike, will keep this one a couple of years and see what's about then.

I was just reading about this, looks great fun.

http://electricbikereview.com/stealth/bomber/

Stealth Electric Bikes UK | Bomber | Electric Bike | Electric Dirt Bike | Electric Motorbike - Stealth Electric Bikes UK

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It was being shown a Bomber that first drew my attention to E-bikes.

A lad around here has one to commute on, but I haven't ever been in a position to be able to stop him and have a look.

Whilst I really love them, they do have some issues in relation to frame/swingarm cracks.

A lad called Lee Piercy(I think that is his name) and his brother both bought Stealths and both had major issues with them. He got so fed up, that he created this. Voltz Bikes The components are certainly better.

I still love the Conway E-Rider. Conway E-Rider Shop The downside of this bike would be in the event of any issues cropping up. They are quite a high maintenance/vulnerable bike.

Lovely!!!

[video=youtube_share;4GVehaWIGx0]http://youtu.be/4GVehaWIGx0[/video]

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I keep thinking maybe I should have bought a full suspension bike
I came from full suspension to a hardtail and couldn't get on with it till I fitted a Suntour SP12-NCX suspension seat post. It's a very fluid action with no jerkiness, unlike some of the telescopic ones I've tried.
Although not a substitute for rear suspension I think it's as close as you'll get on a hardtail.
Around £70 but well worth it to save your spine.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I came from full suspension to a hardtail and couldn't get on with it till I fitted a Suntour SP12-NCX suspension seat post. It's a very fluid action with no jerkiness, unlike some of the telescopic ones I've tried.
Although not a substitute for rear suspension I think it's as close as you'll get on a hardtail.
You seem to love trying to see me spend money! :D

Here is another video of the Conway. It isn't as noisy as it sounds in this clip.

Part 1.

[video=youtube_share;FiYsoiLCB4M]http://youtu.be/FiYsoiLCB4M[/video]

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Coo - I bet the cyclists love him: Not really the way to win friends & influence people; taking an electric motorbike up there!

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Will have a read up on them bikes now, cheers.

Got soaked again today, nice ride along the grand union canal.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just noticed that fastest speed, that can't be right.
This might explain it, as taken from Martins website.

Dongle

There are 2 downsides to fitting these -
1) The HID will read the wrong mph, you can easily fit an after market computer/use gps phone to see exact mph. Or after 7mph you can double the speed shown on the HID.

2) The range can be affected due to using extra power. However speaking with the Germans they say before fitting the dongle they were using 'Turbo' or 'Sport' mode. Now after fitting they use 'Eco' due to the extra cut off speed and this has balanced the range out.

Obviously by going over the 15mph cut off these dongles are FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY!

edit... Ignore the above, I was being stupid and not thinking that you were actually referring to the APP

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Coo - I bet the cyclists love him: Not really the way to win friends & influence people; taking an electric motorbike up there!

Each to his own, but hammering up there at that speed wouldn't interest me.

Apart from anything else, there's no opportunity to exchange a few words with the other cyclists which I think is part of the fun.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Each to his own, but hammering up there at that speed wouldn't interest me.

Apart from anything else, there's no opportunity to exchange a few words with the other cyclists which I think is part of the fun.

I'm guessing that in reality there can't be many that would belt up there at that kind of rate. I assume that it was just done for some kind of promotional purpose.

You also forgot about stopping to look at the superb views. In my case that would have been every few feet or so:)

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Just noticed that fastest speed, that can't be right.
I've noticed some strange anomalies with GPS top speed, even when walking. Something as simple as jumping down off a stile, or over a fence, can appear to result in a small but apparently high speed between a couple of recorded points.
Of course, the other one is forgetting to turn it off when you get back in the car;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I fitted a Suntour SP12-NCX suspension seat post. It's a very fluid action with no jerkiness, unlike some of the telescopic ones I've tried.
I'll second that, my post is an earlier model SP5? NCX I think. Brought from a German site, the best £35 cycling purchase I've made.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Finally got out on my Agattu after removing the rack & mudguards and adding a pr of 2.1" smart sam tyres.
The rain stopped, the sun came out and I was off.
A mile or so of Tarmac before the trail starts and the smart sam tyres are rolling as freely as the city conti's I've just taken off ?

Anywho back to the trail, quite open to start but soon becomes narrow, twisting & turning between the trees, Oh yes, and muddy with it (flippin orses hoves)

I was doing OK with the std Agattu gears in the mud, but one steep bit beat me (damed arthritis)

All in all a good two hours.
when Martin gets back to work next year, I'll have a smaller front chain-wheel.
The trouble with my knees means, when the going gets tough I can't stand on the pedals, the best I can do is spin faster in a lower gear (when I have one) I'm hoping that going from a 41t chainwheel to a 35t will give me a lower range of gears, I should get up that hill then !

Last edited:

Advertisers