Help! how much uphill?

pgc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2019
Islas Canarias
Hi Ebikers,

I decided to join this community because I plan to buy my very first electric bike soon.

I live in a small island. Fantastic place but unfortunately the roads are incredibly windy, narrow and uphill. I want to use the bike for daily commuting and small trip first, but would like to keep the possibility to use it for larger trip to the summit of the highland (30 miles, 2000 m altitude).

So, I need an help basically to sort out a very specific question:

How do they behave in very steep uphill roads? I mean up to 30% and more, measured. Maybe there are models with very powerful motor (500+ W, high ratio sprockets, etc.) for that? Would MTB be more or less comfortable? I understand that rear shock absorbers may make them less efficient. Correct?

The market here is very small, so I am considering buying one oversees (Europe) and importing it directly. But I understand that large batteries cannot be carried on commercial flights. So, I will have to send it here.

Any suggestion very welcome. Please consider I am aware of the need to "push" anyway. And actually it's the reason I am looking for a pedelec rather than a moped.

thanks in advance,
pgc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for very steep hills, you need a crank drive kit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you can ship a complete bike with the batt just not the batt on its own.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
for very steep hills, you need a crank drive kit.
And you will need to gear down for 30%. I use a 32 tooth on gradients which approach 20% in places. If you decide to get a lekkie 42 tooth which is very popular you might want to consider an 11-46 or 11-50 wide range cassette.

Reactions: EddiePJ