how to engage electric only on YL20C

cookoo12620

Just Joined
Jan 30, 2024
i have been sold a micky by e-bike ,they advertised as select between pure electric or ped assist ,but my bike has yl20c which has on menu 10p a 0,01,02 which should be no assist ,electric , and ped assist , but only ped assist works ,and of course no assist if i dont turn on ,in the manual they sent i should have the yl80c but that was wrong ,thats what you get on the us mod not the eu/uk mod ,but they dont tell you that ,the bike is very well made and works ok for me ,but as it said in the full description you could switch i bought so my disabled partner ,who can just stand and walk [but cant pedal] could enjoy as well ,any ideas guys i have heard some have tried just changing the display over but got problems with error codes ,but i wonder if they were able to engage just electric i would like to know ,it was an old post i asked but as yet no reply , i would welcome any ideas on how to change settings and of course engage pure electric , someone else said you need the yl80c and controller ,i have only found where i can buy the display not the controller yet and i dont know if that would work , i tried to get a refund but as i had been using bike no good ,but i still think it was very deceitful ,information would be great thanks

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi welcome , Thats a long sentence.. the most basic way to ride without pedal assist is to simply turn off the battery. that way you dont waste any valuable battery power running the controller leds etc.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'engage pure electric' or what exactly you want?

while the regs dont allow for a throttle on a standard ebike you can get one above board from suppliers like whisper and woosh iirc it involves extra admin and paperwork which afaik you can do yourself on a bike with a replaced controller and headset but its not usually done by individuals and its red tape and hassle. best let whisper et al deal with it imho ;)

(editi dont think the guys at whisper retro fit throttles on other peples bikes, they certify their own bikes ..)

to enable full throttle you will need to overcome the eu/uk regulation barriers employed by the ebike manufacturer, as this can be in either or both the headset and the controller. rather than test out your particular brand just get a suitable kt controller and headset for £80-90.. if you want help in selecting a suitable controller/headset post details of your bike and pics of the controller and its connections.

Last edited: