How To Enjoy an Operation

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Booked into hospital shortly before midday on Monday, seen by consultant when I repeated my request for local anaesthetic rather than full anaesthesia, since I like to be involved in such things. He performs open surgery, not keyhole, and usually uses full anaesthesia, but he agreed though it put me last in the queue for the early evening since it would allow the anaesthetist to go home before my operation. So after an excellent meal I was able to leave the hospital for an hour and go for my usual walk and take advantage of the sunny and warm day.

Walked into theatre shortly after 6.30 pm and as the area for shaving and disinfecting was being marked I realised that the operating light, which had just been adjusted, had a tilt angle that allowed it's mirrored under surface to show the area perfectly. I mentioned this to the surgeon, Mr Stephen Ebbs, saying I wanted to watch the operation so they didn't shift the light. He fell into the spirit of this with a long incision and a large opened up area of the abdomen, giving a commentary throughout the operation, even adding extras to it and giving me an active part.

Most interesting bits were withdrawal of part of the intestine through the muscle wall defect, showing how complications like strangulation could occur, getting me to cough after putting the intestine back in to show how the cough popped it back out, and a repeat of that after a couple of retaining stitches to show they held. I had a thin layer of fat over that area and I had questioned it's worth, so agreeing, a few snips by Mr Ebbs and it was out, knocking a few grammes from my 66 kilos! After stapling in the reinforcing gauze layer, Mr Ebbs relaid the tubes heading south that had been clipped to one side, showing me how he shifted the apertures in the muscle to put them out of line with each other to add more strength to the wall. Then it was pulling back the outer layers and using soluble stitches to make a very neat join, finally capping with a transparent adhesive dressing over the whole area.

It really was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I was astonished when the staff were surprised at me enjoying watching it. They mostly didn't like the idea of watching themselves being operated on, the reverse of what I'd have thought.

I was off the table at 7.25 pm, wheeled back to my room where I watched the pop science "Bang goes the Theory" (BBC1), enjoyed an excellent pot of tea and then got dressed again. I could have stayed longer, but felt fine and was in a taxi heading for home at 8 pm.

The source of this great treatment? I was an NHS patient referred to the private sector BMI Shirley Oaks Hospital, Croydon for the operation where there was no discrimination, I obviously got the very best that their paying patients get in every respect.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Sounds very interesting and hats off to you for not being squeamish and glad it went well.

One question though, local anaesthetic: Nerve block or multiple sites?

(I have medical curiosity as a lot of my friends are in the medical profession so I get to hear about unusual ops and conditions and yours rates up there as unusual :) . Had an O.R.I.F. done a few years ago (under general - I didn't fancy being awake while my bones were being drilled and screwed back together) and came back from theatre with a nerve block that lasted about 3 days - very odd feeling!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was rather odd, injected at first in the incision area and the cut made immediately which hurt quite a bit. But from then it was just flowed over the surface of the exposed tissues at each occasion when I mentioned feeling some pain. There was a short period when the operation cavity was like a small pool before it was mopped out.

Obviously not long term nerve blocking since it's effects were gone in a couple of hours as I was told it would. I was also told I'd have pain for two to four days and issued with strong pain killing tablets, but I wouldn't rate it as actual pain, more just discomfort on movements, so barely needing the tablets.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It was rather odd, injected at first in the incision area and the cut made immediately which hurt quite a bit. But from then it was just flowed over the surface of the exposed tissues at each occasion when I mentioned feeling some pain. There was a short period when the operation cavity was like a small pool before it was mopped out.

Obviously not long term nerve blocking since it's effects were gone in a couple of hours as I was told it would. I was also told I'd have pain for two to four days and issued with strong pain killing tablets, but I wouldn't rate it as actual pain, more just discomfort on movements, so barely needing the tablets.
I feel qeasy just reading about this!
General anaesthetic for me every time.

D

Deleted member 4366

I had a hernia op about 4 yrs ago with full anaesthetic on the NHS. It was my first op, so I was a bit apprehensive, but it was all over before I realised they were ready, so nothing to worry about. The surgeon cut one or more nerves so that I wouldn't feel any pain in the future (if I got another one?)! Anyway, the op was done at about 10am and I was back home for about 3pm, after which I slept for a week. They must have given me something, but I don't know what or how.

Now comes the word of warning Flecc: Make sure you take it easy and don't stress it for at least a month. I was up on my feet after about a week (as advised), back to work after another and I felt absolutely cured, but then then at three weeks I was carrying my electric guitar in it's case (moderately heavy) because I felt that I was cured and I felt something give. It's never been the same since. I could and still can feel some of the things that I felt before the op, which I couldn't feel during the first three weeks. I've never been back to the doc because I hardly get any pain, and I still lift things so maybe it's ok, but it doesn't feel right. Anyway, the moral of the story is to wait as long as possible before you lift anything, so enjoy the rest and I hope you're back on your bike soon.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Come on Flecc you slipped up big time no video you could have taken a camcorder with you

Apart from that hope you are recovering

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Tony, I am glad you enjoyed the experience, but I'm sorry to say you must be a sick puppy:p

In my day job, I have witnessed lots of operations or should I say procedures from major cancer cases and trauma under general anesthetic to relatively minor dental stuff under local or IV sedation, but I have never come a cross anyone who wanted to watch:eek: it must have been slightly off putting for the operating theatre staff, but I am sure they were on their best behaviour.

On the other hand, I quite like going to the dentist because he is a nice guy and I never get anything more severe than a scale and polish. Conversation is a bit one sided though:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now comes the word of warning Flecc:
Thanks d8veh, I'm aware of how right you are and my age will slow the healing anyway. The fragility is obviously going to last for quite a while. Being retired I don't have to rush anything and in fact I didn't get out of bed until 10.15 this morning. My main leisure activity is walking these days, which I can take slowly, so I won't even try to cycle until I'm certain that all is right.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tony, I am glad you enjoyed the experience, but I'm sorry to say you must be a sick puppy:p

In my day job, I have witnessed lots of operations or should I say procedures from major cancer cases and trauma under general anesthetic to relatively minor dental stuff under local or IV sedation, but I have never come a cross anyone who wanted to watch:eek: it must have been slightly off putting for the operating theatre staff, but I am sure they were on their best behaviour.
I'm not a bit squeamish John, and my eternally inquiring nature about anything and everything will always make me do things like this. My feeling is that having seen every detail it helps me to understand what's involved in the healing process and know the source of any after pain experienced much better.

The theatre staff were great and mostly young, all introducing themselves at the outset since I wasn't anaesthetized. I'm sure they weren't in any way put off, since in reference to his fitting the gauze, I showed my sense of humour by joking with surgeon Mr Ebbs that he could have a nice little sideline fitting nudists with pockets. Therefore they joined in with some limited light heartedness, the male staff nurse present reminding me with a grin, "Now you've seen how it's done, don't try this at home!" During the operation one of them even snipped off a piece of the gauze and gave it to me as a memento, so he was obviously not phased by my being awake.

I'm certain Mr Ebbs enjoyed the experience, I'm sure like any highly skilled craftsman happy to demonstrate his expertise to the customer. Perhaps it's a little sad that surgeons never have the opportunity to do this "live" in real time normally, only able to give expression historically as it were.

I'm surprised that nobody in your very wide experience has ever expressed interest in watching, I really must be odd! :D

The excellent service received was capped by a phone call this morning from Nurse Theresa Taylor, checking that I had no complications and that the pain control was adequate, a nice touch.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Come on Flecc you slipped up big time no video you could have taken a camcorder with you
Yes, I thought of this on the table Frank, I'd have loved to have treated you all to the video on YouTube! :D

I don't suppose the camera would have been allowed in the theatre though, being an infection risk.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Of course many women are concious during childbirth - that can be a major incision (cesarean - I mean) and there is a gruesome amount of rummaging around (of course more so with twins). They even asked my wife if she wanted a mirror when she had hers. At one point one of the nurses asked if everything was ok my wife merrily replied yes, fine - the nurse of course meant me - was I ok? I am terribly squeamish despite coming from a medical family.

All the best for your recovery Flecc - not having a general will certainly help your recovery both physically and mentally - well done.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi

Apart from that hope you are recovering

Frank
The idea of that is so funny Frank......even if rather frightening......and Flecc........ I take my hat off to you.......you are a really remarkable man.......good luck with your recovery though it seems you hardly need it :)
Lynda

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Yes, I thought of this on the table Frank, I'd have loved to have treated you all to the video on YouTube! :D

I don't suppose the camera would have been allowed in the theatre though, being an infection risk.
I think camera shake would have made me more queasy than the op!! :D

Well done Flecc, fascinating that you watched your own op in real time.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
I'm surprised that nobody in your very wide experience has ever expressed interest in watching, I really must be odd! :D

Well Tony I think I shall certainly have to agree with you - you are certainly "odd" but we're all so glad that you're back home and already on the road of recovery. I'm sure the theatre staff and surgeon "enjoyed" having you there, as you say it must have made their day interesting.

Just take good care of yourself, we all need you here with us !

Incidentally thanks to you I think I've located a loose wire connection on my bike, that was causing my battery to cut out briefly and intermittently. How would I ever have even thought of that without your advice and encouragement. I'm going to try taping it tight as it appears to be just a minor problem. Jeanette x

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Thanks d8veh, I'm aware of how right you are and my age will slow the healing anyway. The fragility is obviously going to last for quite a while. Being retired I don't have to rush anything and in fact I didn't get out of bed until 10.15 this morning. My main leisure activity is walking these days, which I can take slowly, so I won't even try to cycle until I'm certain that all is right.
You also stand a better chance of a fast recovery and are less likely to have heavy scarring without the general anaesthetic and/or lots of local (and it sounds like they did they bare minimum). I learnt post op that anaesthetics can cause swelling amongst the usual side effects, leading to increased scarring and a term 'keloid' I had never heard of until a follow-up appointment.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
eTim, that hits the nail on the head, it was fascinating to watch. I suspect many on local anaesthetic if faced with this opportunity would want to watch

Jeanette
, good to hear that you've located that fault, I felt sure you could. :)

z0mb13e, that makes sense of some of Mr Ebb's comments now, when the pain occurred at first cut he said what he was doing would minimise scarring and bruising. Certainly effective, I've no bruising whatsover. When I had my appendix removed under general anaesthetic in 1965, in stark contrast I ended up mixed race, the right hand half of me black, the left still white!

Advertisers