how to fix chain after it slipped off rear sprocket

bersh

Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2007
:confused: I have an EZEE Quando II. The chain fell off its sprocket ( rear) and is tightly in place but on the axle and the front sprocket. So it leaves me able to peddle, but the chain is not engaging the wheel. The manual says there is a chain adjustment screw(?)near the frame at the rear of the bicycle. I cannot identify this screw(?) and doubt it will deal with how tight the chain is. I do not want to touch the rear axle nuts for fear of unbalancing the wheel. And while I have already marked these nuts so if I have to loosen them, I can try to restore the bike to its appropriate condition. This would be a last resort. Also, if anyone can explain why this happened, please let me know. The bike is less than one year old and has no gears to shift. Either the chain has expanded, the rear axle is loose (that is not evident by giggling it) or?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Bersh. This can happen very occasionally since on the Quando II, the chainwheel and rear freewheel sprocket are slightly out of line, so if the chain flicks at a bump etc, and especially if it's gone a bit slack over time, it can hop off.

Some eZee models have rear adjusters, but not this one, so that's just a mistake, but you can safely put things right.

Slacken off the chainside wheel nut first sufficiently to leave the wheel loose but not so far out that it bears against the cables. Then slacken the other side nut.

Jiggle the wheel forward in the dropout grooves until you can put the chain back onto the freewheel. Then pull the wheel backwards until the chain is reasonable taut and tighten the left hand wheel nut (opposite side to chain) a little. Tighten the right hand one a little now while holding the wheel centrally between the frame tubes, and then wind back the pedals to see if there are any tight points on the chain. If so, readjust a bit, the aim is to have just about a half inch up and down play at most but with no tight points where the chain is stretched.

Once you have it set, finish tightening the wheel nuts, starting with the non-chainside first, since that is the registration for the internal motor alignment.

Finally, because you may have moved the wheel back, check the alignment of the brake pads on the rim sides, since they may be overlapping the tyre wall now and need readjusting.

bersh

Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2007
chain fell off

Thanks Flecc, you are master of many things pedelectic...I took the bike to a neighborhood repair place and for $20 American, they fixed it and adjusted the brakes...next time, I'll try your advice...:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good Bersh, the important thing is that it's fixed now.

Advertisers