"How to protect your e-bike after huge spike in thefts"

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"The latest full year data revealed that there were 103% more e-bike thefts in 2023 compared to 2022 and a whopping 257% more than in 2021. Evolve e-Bikes submitted FOI requests to every police force in the UK for data on e-bike thefts, revealing it really is 'grim up north' for e-cyclists."

"TOP 10 AREAS FOR MOST E-BIKE THEFTS (2023 OVERALL)

1. West Yorkshire: 446 thefts

2. Avon & Somerset: 144 thefts

3. North Yorkshire: 124 thefts

4. Cambridgeshire: 105 thefts

5. Dorset: 94 thefts

6. Surrey: 86 thefts

7. Kent: 52 thefts

8. Warwickshire: 37 thefts

9. Norfolk: 36 thefts

10. Northamptonshire: 36 thefts

HIGHEST YEAR-ON-YEAR INCREASE IN E-BIKE THEFTS (2023 V 2022)

1. North Yorkshire: +176%

2. Northamptonshire: +44%

3. Cambridgeshire: +44%

4. Lancashire: +34%

5. Derbyshire: +22%"

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
This data doesn't mean much without data about how the bikes were stolen (what tools were used), and the quality of the locks people were using.

It's honestly baffling how many bike shops still sell combination locks which can be bypassed, or those metal zip-ties looking ones which can be cut with hand tools, they are just asking for trouble.

Even this website, while it does offer some generic advice, doesn't explain that Sold Secure isn't a simple gold star. The ratings describe what tests the locks can withstand, and only powered-cycle diamond is tested against angle grinders.

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
Agree that those statistics are open to all kinds of manipulation depending what you want to exacerbate, so wouldn't read too much into it.
Best thing to do is not leave your battery in the e-bike if parked up.

Reactions: Hoppy33

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
It's honestly baffling how many bike shops still sell combination locks which can be bypassed
If a thief had a big pair of cutters or a portable diamond disk cutter, why would they waste time trying to bypass a combination lock ?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
What people fail to state ids the theft of a bike is not really a problem in itself, no more than a car is, that is what insurance is for, it is the INCONVENIENCE, of hen getting home or to wherever you want, perhaps no money.

As for the ZIP type ties, they are perfect for an additional deterrent, I use them on the battery. Note they are the combination ones.

ALL locks are just a deterrent NOT to stop theft, just to delay it long enough.

Also add these

Img_1781.jpg

IMG_1623.JPG

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
If some people think that bike theft or car theft doesn't much matter, i dread to think what kind of premiums they are being charged. Every kind of insurance you have will be affected by a history of claims if you have one. The premiums are boosted if you have made claims or suffered loss.

Theft IS a problem. A MASSIVE one. This society is FAR too soft on those who steal and destroy valuable property. Why else are retailers being hammered by very bold thieves who don't even hide their shoplifting and assault and abuse staff who try to stop them. The same is true of motorbike and bike theft.It is a horrible experience and the costs to the victim are never covered by the payout they receive. Not only will you almost never get the replacement value of the lost item, but you will be robbed blind when you renew ANY insurance policy you take out.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
A recent u-tube i watched was sold as an interview with a bike thief..

With an angle grinder No lock is a deterrent, But numerous locks that take too much time to deal with were..

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks like the owner locked it up through the quick release front wheel and left the battery on the e-bike too.
Crazy. Oh well, thieving scummarati will have the opportunity to steal this old bike I'm very slowly re-assembling, because it's too large to take into places like my 20" wheeled folder... will have to leave it locked up :confused:.

With an angle grinder No lock is a deterrent, But numerous locks that take too much time to deal with were..
Will deffo "secure" using at least two D-locks!

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
If some people think that bike theft or car theft doesn't much matter, i dread to think what kind of premiums they are being charged. Every kind of insurance you have will be affected by a history of claims if you have one. The premiums are boosted if you have made claims or suffered loss.

Theft IS a problem. A MASSIVE one. This society is FAR too soft on those who steal and destroy valuable property. Why else are retailers being hammered by very bold thieves who don't even hide their shoplifting and assault and abuse staff who try to stop them. The same is true of motorbike and bike theft.It is a horrible experience and the costs to the victim are never covered by the payout they receive. Not only will you almost never get the replacement value of the lost item, but you will be robbed blind when you renew ANY insurance policy you take out.

I am thinking on a "life" scale you probably wouldn't consider

I have great health, at 66, better than ever, my autistic son and I want for nothing and need nothing, I have an NHS pension and my state pension so not rich, I have enough to pay all my bills, feed us and have a home.

My cycle insurance for both bikes is £65 a year including accident and public liability cover.

I clearly stated " theft of a bike is not really a problem in itself, no more than a car is, that is what insurance is for, it is the INCONVENIENCE of then getting home or back to wherever you want to go".

This can be mitigated by ensuring you do all you can to "avoid" the theft, but, there are worse things in life such as hunger, homelessness, cancer, than losing a bike hence as I said "I am thinking on a "life" scale you probably wouldn't consider".

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

100% which is why I said 1. Pinhead locks (wheels and saddle), 2. 2 different D locks, 3. Lock round the battery. 4. INSURANCE.

I laugh when people spend £1000-2000 or more on a bike and £30 on a lock, don't moan when it is stolen you only have yourself to blame.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You should never gamble what you can't afford to lose. I paid £75 for the Dahon Espresso pictured above. The locks cost more than the bike.

https://www.world-wheels.co.uk/09_espressolarge.htm

Unsure at this point if I want to convert it - this could change rather quickly, when I attempt to climb the hill I live on. To keep my risk low, I'm determined this bike not cost me much to restore. I've swapped out it's old racing bike style "Sun" shifters, for indexed Shimano Revoshifts, scavenged from the bike I found dumped in the woods a few months ago. I'm resisting the temptation to buy a new unused frame, because the old one looks very scratched up and less interesting to thieving scum.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

now that's something to pi$$ about in but might be a bit expensive on the insurance with duel mini guns and warheads for wheel caps oh well :p

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

now that's something to pi$$ about in but might be a bit expensive on the insurance with duel mini guns and warheads for wheel caps oh well :p
I'd prefer this to a Lambo Countach:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As for the ZIP type ties, they are perfect for an additional deterrent, I use them on the battery. Note they are the combination ones.

ALL locks are just a deterrent NOT to stop theft, just to delay it long enough.
Your ziptie won't delay the theft of your valuable battery for long. Gone in less than 60 seconds!

Nice looking battery you have there, where do you lock up your bike? Worth the train fare ;)

Last edited:

Pompey Monkey

Just Joined
Jun 10, 2019
...I laugh when people spend £1000-2000 or more on a bike and £30 on a lock, don't moan when it is stolen you only have yourself to blame.
I think that is what is known colloquially as "victim blaming".
I'm not denying the sad state off affairs that requires one to very thoroughly secure ones property these days, but please don't blame the victim for the behaviours of the (very small) scumbag minority.

Reactions: Tony1951

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
I think that is what is known colloquially as "victim blaming".
I'm not denying the sad state off affairs that requires one to very thoroughly secure ones property these days, but please don't blame the victim for the behaviours of the (very small) scumbag minority.
"Autistic and proud UK BASED (WALES)" in Saracen signature.

Reactions: Tony1951