HS2....Euston v St Pancras

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I must say that I am not affected by the building of HS2 but am sympathetic to those whose lives will be affected by the wrecking of our countryside building HS2.
Anyone who has travelled from Kent up to London on HS1 or travelled on the Eurostar, is surprised that they get quick to St Pancras,then have to walk/taxi/tube along to Euston,usually wait 30 mins minimum before getting a train to the north.
HS2 will only save 10 mins London to Birmingham.
If HS2 has to be built,which considering the high cost ,the disruption,for such a minimal time saving surely it would be better that HS2 goes to St Pancras joining directly with Eurostar and HS1,even HS1 trains to be able to run direct to the north,that seems obvious.
Or the cheaper option just link up the existing train lines and be able to change trains at St Pancras.
Even if HS2 is built,it seems crazy not to link together the 2 high speed train lines,foreigners must think it crazy to use the fast Eurostar to London,then have to walk to another station only 500 yards away to go further north.??
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must say that I am not affected by the building of HS2 but am sympathetic to those whose lives will be affected by the wrecking of our countryside building HS2.
Whilst I agree on the silliness of Kings Cross and St Pancras, I part company on HS2.

We should already have built HS2, HS3, HS4 and HS5 long ago, West and East Coast high speed lines, Eastern Counties high speed line and West of England high speed line.

And of course I do mean doing the job properly, HS2 for example going all the way to Western Scotland, not just limping as far as Birmingham.

We are decades behind the rest of Europe in this, and it's denying the rest of Britain a full share in prosperity.

As for wrecking the countryside, these days we celebrate and enjoy all the railway construction "wrecking" of former times, the viaducts and bridges for example. We get used to the changes and learn to enjoy them.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
We are decades behind the rest of Europe in this, and it's denying the rest of Britain a full share in prosperity.
If government really meant what has been said many times over many years about creating a northern powerhouse, then perhaps some airport expansion there would be more sensible than in the south.

The opportunity to create a fast train route from the south coast to the eastern side of the country should have been taken in conjunction with HS1 into London. When Ebbsfleet was expanded to become a major station for Eurostar, it would have been sensible to continue that construction enabling a modern, high-speed link all the way up the eastern side of Britain, neglected for so many years. Anyone who has ever travelled by train in France knows how good their system has become and even the Spanish have now got to grips with the need for high-speed trains.

Some de-population of the overstretched Home Counties might be achieved if government really did make some effort to industrialise, (if that term is still appropriate), the north.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If government really meant what has been said many times over many years about creating a northern powerhouse, then perhaps some airport expansion there would be more sensible than in the south.

The opportunity to create a fast train route from the south coast to the eastern side of the country should have been taken in conjunction with HS1 into London. When Ebbsfleet was expanded to become a major station for Eurostar, it would have been sensible to continue that construction enabling a modern, high-speed link all the way up the eastern side of Britain, neglected for so many years. Anyone who has ever travelled by train in France knows how good their system has become and even the Spanish have now got to grips with the need for high-speed trains.

Some de-population of the overstretched Home Counties might be achieved if government really did make some effort to industrialise, (if that term is still appropriate), the north.

Tom
Yes I agree there's more sensible way this could have been done, we should have a bypassing London link to enable HS trains to travel from Europe directly to the Midlands and Northern UK, as well as directly to London.

If we'd built a comprehensive high speed line network long ago as Europe did, we wouldn't need to have so much airport expansion, since internal flights would be redundant.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well the decision has been taken, Heathrow get's its third runway and I'm pleased. It will mean even more aircraft over me all the time, but that doesn't worry me since I'm not obsessed with finding it a problem

I have excellent hearing and dislike excessive noise, but don't find today's airliners a problem. Inside behind my double glazing I'm not even aware of them and during my hours in the countryside they don't disturb me. Like the wildlife I just take no notice of them.

I've actually photographed the aircraft from all over the world flying close over me and my adjoining wildlife reserve, adding additional interest to my life. For example, here's a BA Airbus A380, the world's largest airliner, photo taken with a small pocket camera:

Airbus A380-800 2 British Airways.jpg

And the photo below of the airtrails over my home in the sunset show all the black and red trails crossing all the time:

Sunset trails.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

I guess there's no easy way to build a new line from the south side of London to the North side. They're not building HS" because we need it, nor to save any time. The project makes a massive cash cow, so all the old boys club can get their noses in the trough. Lets just call it the gravy train.

Reactions: OldBob1 and Croxden

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I guess there's no easy way to build a new line from the south side of London to the North side. They're not building HS" because we need it, nor to save any time. The project makes a massive cash cow, so all the old boys club can get their noses in the trough. Lets just call it the gravy train.
Let me see......mmm! Nope, I can't argue with any of that. Some people might think it's what the country needs or what the people want but you have nailed it in just a few lines 'd8veh'.

Tom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave...actually HS1 is one of the best routes from the south to north London,it is just amazing how quick the journey is now,prior to HS1 you needed to go to Victoria then travel across London on the tube,it saves hours on the journey,HS1 was a wonderful idea.
But London to Birmingham is already a quick route,saving 10 mins is just not worth all the disruption.
But joining St Pancras to Euston would be wonderful but I suspect they wont make any money out of that,selling licences to the likes of Virgin is a money maker as you said.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

To put the costs of HS2 into perspectives, by the time it's finished, it will have cost every British UK citizen £1000. That includes every baby and OAP, not just tax payers. If you only include tax payers, its £2000. For comparison, the Queen costs us 50p, so you could have 4000 queens for the same price as HS2.

I thought that the country is already spending above their means and the government was supposed to be making cuts. Why waste £80 billion? I know a woman from Christians Against Poverty, who helps people get out of debt. Should I suggest to Mrs May that they meet up.

If you had a choice, a good quality electric bike for nothing (value £2000 if you're a tax payer) or HS2, which would you choose?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would like a KTM please.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers