Hurrah! Hurrah!

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Twelve months without a car!

Just realised that it's one year today since we flogged the motor car. Apart from some hospital visits being a major PITA by bus if we can't afford a taxi, all we miss is all the emgubberance that comes with owning a car, like wondering how much work it'll need to get through the next MOT, how much the insurance renewal will cost, how much longer I can put off cleaning the thing etc etc etc ...

Carlessness is wonderful :)

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well, I certainly couldnt do it, but I am really, really impressed that you have managed it and are obviously still ecstatic about being carless.

My car is like one of the family, if I got rid of it, it would be like getting rid of one of the dogs :eek:

But good for you danfoto, if I wore a cycle helmet I would raise it in salute, but as I dont, you will just have to imagine that I am :D

Lynda :)

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Well, I certainly couldnt do it, but I am really, really impressed that you have managed it and are obviously still ecstatic about being carless.
Nothing to it, actually. Honest. If we got the decision wrong, we could always have got another car! But after the first week, we just kept wondering why on earth we'd hung on to it as long as we did.

Don't want to freak you out, so I'd better keep quiet about getting shut of the television set in 1981 and never having bought a newspaper since then either ...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Don't want to freak you out, so I'd better keep quiet about getting shut of the television set in 1981
OMG......that really is a step too far......but I agree with you regarding newspapers.....:eek:

Lynda :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Don't want to freak you out, so I'd better keep quiet about getting shut of the television set in 1981...
We've got BBC 2 now, and colour.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I gave up having a motor vehicle about three years ago. In my case I had little choice, having lost the sight of my left eye. I am still technically legal to drive, but I wont as i do not feel safe. I do not miss the negative side of vehicle ownership, but in a way I still miss driving, and riding a motor cycle. Driving was an important part of my life, as for many years I drove lorries all over Europe. I don`t know what I would do without my bike.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Twelve months without a car!

Just realised that it's one year today since we flogged the motor car. Apart from some hospital visits being a major PITA by bus if we can't afford a taxi, all we miss is all the emgubberance that comes with owning a car, like wondering how much work it'll need to get through the next MOT, how much the insurance renewal will cost, how much longer I can put off cleaning the thing etc etc etc ...

Carlessness is wonderful :)
I'm the same; I put my car off the road a year ago and just been using my motorbike and motorised bicycle - the motor bike for longer journeys, of course.
The money I've saved is all going to the same end as the money I'm saving by vaping - it builds me stuff. :0

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
ahem! so what hangs on the nail in the privy...if you get my meaning, or do yu still buy hygiene paper?
Nothing to it, actually. Honest. If we got the decision wrong, we could always have got another car! But after the first week, we just kept wondering why on earth we'd hung on to it as long as we did.

Don't want to freak you out, so I'd better keep quiet about getting shut of the television set in 1981 and never having bought a newspaper since then either ...

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Car, OK, TV - no problem. but newspapers NEVER. By that i mean my beloved Guardian. I've tried reading it on line but it's not the same. Newspapers are getting thinner, and often the most interest parts get omitted. If I want headlines there is TV and radio. If I want an ill-informed rant, there is the internet. If I want to listen to a pub argument that lasts for ever there is Facebook or Twitter. But if I want a considered, well written article on an interesting subject about which i may no nothing, then, as yet, nothing beats a quality newspaper.

Now i shall go polish my pipe and slippers.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
The only truth in newspapers are the DAY and DATE ,The rest are all lies or figments of the mind, i worked for one years back .
I think newspapers during WWII was a invaluable source of Bog paper, the highest point of its contribution to society, clearly since then they have been on a downward slide towards the gutter

Last edited:

Advertisers