I can't speak Swedish either.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Bear with me.

I watched Wallander on BBC4 (i.e. the Swedish version, with subtitles) for weeks and weeks, and by the end I was convinced that I could speak some Swedish. Well, until I looked away from the TV for a moment, when I realised that Bra and Hi probably made up my Swedish vocabulary.

Similarly, cycling. I stopped at red lights yesterday behind another cyclist - ordinary bike, scruffy, him and the bike that is, slight uphill away from the lights. And what crossed my mind was that as a cyclist, and having a Superior Machine, I would see him off quite quickly.

As he disappeared up the slight hill, with me floundering about trying to get my other foot onto a pedal, I knew that I should have stayed, secure, with my illusions, and turned left instead.

Bra, eh?

Allen.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
well at least your out riding and things can only get better cant they? I think most cyclists are surprised you keep up with em and its only the odd Lycra that has the advantage.

have been up to Sweden twice in our motorhome and love it...
Re Wallander, I have read all the books and seen all the TV series (1&2) both being excellent!

This summer we read the Stig Larsen trilogy (girl with the dragon tattoo etc...)that is good stuff as well....the film only so so

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I love the Wallander series - was lost for something to do last saturday night when me and the wife settled down to watch it and it wasn't on :-(

I've found that I get slightly over excited when I hear something that I understand and the subtitles are different - must really annoy the wife when I tell her all about it :)

We also watched the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and my wife read the books and said she thought it was spot on. Looking forward to the next film.

I've been to Sweden for a friends wedding and learnt a little Swedish and every once in a while try to learn a little more. I find the best place to learn is at a pub as drunk Swedes are happy to repeat things and are more inclined to indulge your desire to learn random phrases and simple concepts.

This is funny though slightly NSFW Simple Swedish Lession 1

This one is very NSFW Mastering Swedish

Micket Bra!

Hej Da

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Swedish Lapland is beautiful...My teenagers always say they where amongst our best holidays. The bear park at feeding time, when a whole dead cow is dropped by tractor and 10 or so bears decend on it, puts any of the vampire TV programs to shame.........my kids absolutely loved it:D