I could have cried, not for EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah for 7 squid id make it work they cant be that far off and made of rubber it looks like.

just can not believe on bikes this expensive they miss out on something like that its nuts and must cost next to nothing for them to make a cover for it.

and its not like they never knew about it thus the covers above ;)

Reactions: slevin27

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So having done 500 miles with not to much cleaning and leaving it wet means I am on borrowed time? I wonder if bearings are classed sa a perishable item and not covered by the warranty I know BB's arent covered. To my cost!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no idea on bearing warranty but at the end of the day they sold it with nothing protecting it in the first place so there at fault.

as where it is id be wanting new bearings and a fix cover wise so it dont happen again.

problem is when you buy the bearing kits you buy them as a hole kit for the bike and there like 100 quid and even more for my bike.

id try one of them covers tho as if it dont fit you can always send it back ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Gubbins I guess that the most obvious thing to do, is to put that very question directly to Scott Bikes, and request that they put into writing that despite the bearing being fully exposed, that neither corrosion or premature wear will affect the bearing through riding in UK winter conditions, and that the bearing will remain easily removable.

If the time comes and you just need individual bearings, then somewhere such as this is a good starting point. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301260858556?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=600297642420&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

All this because you posted a photo. I should have kept quiet! :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Gubbins I guess that the most obvious thing to do, is to put that very question directly to Scott Bikes, and request that they put into writing that despite the bearing being fully exposed, that neither corrosion or premature wear will affect the bearing through riding in UK winter conditions, and that the bearing will remain easily removable.

If the time comes and you just need individual bearings, then this is a good starting point. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301260858556?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=600297642420&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Yes well I have started the conversation and we will see where it Leads.. If they should fail I will more than likely take it to a bike shop as most bearing jobs need special tools or a big hammer.
Just thinking back to my original purchase of the stolen bike I vaguely remember being told that a yearly service was a good idea and this included some bearings.. But I cant really recall exactly what was said and I dont have that bike anyway.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tho the lbs should have the tools to remove and check them for you, if crud has got in them then when spinning will make a right racket and wobble about.

if ur lucky then you can clean them out buy removing the blue covers each side and give them a blast with some de greaser or wd40 and then re grease them and replace the covers.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Reactions: Trevormonty

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i bet one of them covers will fit as it is not that much different when you look at it like that the bearings on both are the same size its just the angle it sweeps in at and its only rubber anyway.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There might be another very simple way that you could solve the issue.

I obviously don't know the inner dimension of the axle tube, but you might be able to use something as simple as a handle bung, with perhaps a larger plastic washer from a plumbing shop if the bung wasn't wide enough.

It would be brilliant if you were able to just smear some grease around the area, and push a bung in. :)

You could probably even modify the lid from a plastic drink/milk bottle if the plumbers shop didn't have anything.

Just an example, not recommendation. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/321966819299?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=pla-270397360523&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045137&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0

Reactions: Gubbins

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that is sort of what i said but then it is keeping it in place so put a hole in the middle and use a long cable tie like on my bike :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could just use some plastic/rubber and the use a cir clip to hold it in place ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can i ask the OP what his thoughts on the bike overall have been thinking of getting a Scott myself how is the range ?
I like it very much. Range wise it's a difficult one to answer due to all the variables but I never get less than 35 miles with hills in sport mode, and have had 50+ in eco on the road.
Selling points for me were.
1/ had a Scott e aspect 910 for 3 years.
2/ frame design has rear shock away from back wheel.
3/ bar mounted 3 position remote lockout.
4/ local scott dealer.

Reactions: Simon C

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Reply from Scott regarding the bearing issue.
"In all honesty we have had no issues in this area, we should know as we cover the whole of the UK and if the bearing did not have protection then you would not see the blue rubber seals on the outers! From my experience in the cycle trade for over 20 years it does pay to change the pivot bearings periodically as a matter of course just to keep them smooth and sweet, but that timing can depend on how often you ride and how aggressive you clean the bike too (jet wash and tfr?!)"
Will have a word at LBS next time I go.. They sell em and mend em so should know!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there talking out there ass as why is there a cover for it in the first place lol.

yes it is a sealed bearing with that blue cover but it will not stop water getting in it esp where it is and not last 5 mins when that happens.

Related Articles

Advertisers