ICEdot crash sensors

I recently bought a new helmet that came with an ICEdot code, where anyone can text the code printed on the back of the lid to a number printed beneath, and receive the 'in case of emergency' details of the wearer. Seems like a good idea should the worst happen.
Then I noticed a product that can be secured to the helmet called an 'ICEdot crash sensor'.
The crash sensor pairs with a smartphone via bluetooth, and in the event it senses an impact, presumably followed by no motion, it sends text messages to pre-selected numbers with the option of GPS co-ordinates too.
Does anyone have any experience with these gadgets? Whether they actually work as they are supposed to?
They cost about £100, so not one I'm going to buy in a whim.
See:
http://site.icedot.org/site/crash-sensor/?lang=en
Cheers
Darren

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've had an ICE tag fitted to the side of my helmet for about three years now (not the same helmet) And like you, think that it is a good idea.

I also have a gps location app on the phone, which sends a message to an allocated number. Obvioulsy that is reliant upon you being able to do so.

I added that after my heavy fall last July that split my helmet and gave me mild concussion. That fall really sh*t me up at the time, and as only my regular riding buddy would have known my whereabouts, I called him to tell him what had happened, then called him about every half a mile until I reached a road.

A heavy fall certainly makes you think about things a bit.

I also never ride without an emergancy whistle, a foil blanket, and first aid kit.

Last edited:
I've had an ICE tag fitted to the side of my helmet for about three years now (not the same helmet) And like you, think that it is a good idea.

I also have a gps location app on the phone, which sends a message to an allocated number. Obvioulsy that is reliant upon you being able to do so.

I added that after my heavy fall last July that split my helmet and gave me mild concussion. That fall really sh*t me up at the time, and as only my regular riding buddy would have known my whereabouts, I called him to tell him what had happened, then called him about every half a mile until I reached a road.

A heavy fall certainly makes you think about things a bit.

I also never ride without an emergancy whistle, a thermal blanket, and first aid kit.
So what do you reckon to the crash sensor product? I thought of you when I saw them.
Seeing how 'out in the wilds' you get on your rides, and in the dark. Places where another human may not pass for weeks or months. No wonder you carry that kit. Very sensible move :)

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not too sure about the crash sensor.

I probably take a slight knock to the top of the helmet from low branches and undergrowth perhaps once or twice a week, and for my part, wonder how long that it would be, before the sensor also took a knock and became dislodged. It is one of the reasons that I also wouldn't where a helmet light, although having said that, I have just dusted down an old helmet, and fitted the light that D8veh recommended to the side of it rather than on the top, and intend to give it a try.

My biggest risk of injury isn't so much to the head, it is seemingly the shoulder/collar bone. I've taken several minor hits to the shoulder over the few weeks alone whilst tackling tight terrain. Sadly it is also the weakest point of my body.

I wonder what the head impact stats are for off road use. I suspect that they would be pretty low, with shin, knee, elbow, and impact to the crown jewels being by far the most common.

For the most part, most of my incidents come from slow speed stuff, and I tend to air caution on the faster stuff when I am on my own.

There is no excuse for not carrying a basic bit of emergancy kit on an off road ride though. But then there is no excuse for people not taking a missing link for a chain, a multi tool, puncture repair kit or spare tube either. None of it takes up any room.

In respect of tracking, Strava now have a live beacon setting to allow others to track your route as you ride. I've yet to look into this though.

Last edited:

agilehumor

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2016
San Diego, California, USA
I had these sensors and returned it. While it would detect any fall...the app would crash 50%+ making it pretty worthless on a ride

Some Garmin devices now have incident detection that I use as a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ
I had these sensors and returned it. While it would detect any fall...the app would crash 50%+ making it pretty worthless on a ride

Some Garmin devices now have incident detection that I use as a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks you very much. That was pretty much my concern. Stability of the software being the main issue, then battery. Out of interest, was it IOS or Android you were using it with?
Perhaps they are still not quite there with this sort of tech at that sort of money yet. Still cool idea.
I'll take a look at the Garmon range, see what they are up to.
Thanks again. Darren

I'm not too sure about the crash sensor.

I probably take a slight knock to the top of the helmet from low branches and undergrowth perhaps once or twice a week, and for my part, wonder how long that it would be, before the sensor also took a knock and became dislodged. It is one of the reasons that I also wouldn't where a helmet light, although having said that, I have just dusted down an old helmet, and fitted the light that D8veh recommended to the side of it rather than on the top, and intend to give it a try.

My biggest risk of injury isn't so much to the head, it is seemingly the shoulder/collar bone. I've taken several minor hits to the shoulder over the few weeks alone whilst tackling tight terrain. Sadly it is also the weakest point of my body.

I wonder what the head impact stats are for off road use. I suspect that they would be pretty low, with shin, knee, elbow, and impact to the crown jewels being by far the most common.

For the most part, most of my incidents come from slow speed stuff, and I tend to air caution on the faster stuff when I am on my own.

There is no excuse for not carrying a basic bit of emergancy kit on an off road ride though. But then there is no excuse for people not taking a missing link for a chain, a multi tool, puncture repair kit or spare tube either. None of it takes up any room.

In respect of tracking, Strava now have a live beacon setting to allow others to track your route as you ride. I've yet to look into this though.
Yes, I think you're quite right there. I glance my lid on branches quite often too and can easily imagine clipping the little thing off.

My new lid has a specific gopro/light mount so I'll be playing around with that soon. Must remember not to go anywhere too low on the branches front.
It's also got detachable full face guard (Bell Super 2R MIPS). A friend of a friend did themselves an awful one recently, when they slide off and face-planted a root stump with their cheek bone. Plus I worked out my old lid was nearly 9 years old :p
Strava could well do it finen for what I need, so long as there is someone to keep track occasionally. (Wifey craps herself enough already when I'm out, so asking her to keep an eye wouldn't be difficult) But it is up to them to check if you have stopped moving on the map rather than an alert being sent.
I quite liked the way the ICEdot sensor would text up to 10 numbers in the event of an alert.
I'll probably end up getting nought, but it just made me think a little more about where I go, when I go, who I tell etc., which in itself is a good thing :)

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I have downloaded an Android app called Life 360 it's actually a family tracker app and it allows anybody you authorise to see your position and other information. As a lot of my riding is off road and quite remote so it allows my wife to check on my progress and saves her worrying if I'm late back.
It's a family tracker you can see where all parties with access permissions are at any given time. So don't get up to any mischief.

I have downloaded an Android app called Life 360 it's actually a family tracker app and it allows anybody you authorise to see your position and other information. As a lot of my riding is off road and quite remote so it allows my wife to check on my progress and saves her worrying if I'm late back.
It's a family tracker you can see where all parties with access permissions are at any given time. So don't get up to any mischief.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
On android we can share live locations in G+ locations, track, navigate to etc., sounds similar.

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

Related Articles

Advertisers