ID card for French bikes by 2020

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It has come, the time of bike registration... :( In order to bring down bike theft, every bike in France is to have an ID number and accompanying card - by 2020 for new bikes and by 2021 for old ones. No number plate, but I imagine that the permanent and placed on bike to be readable marking will be atrocious.

This is really going to work (I think not...) - my bike is parked in the buildings bike garage where 90% of the bikes have a thick layer of dust to prove how often they are used. Next to my bike is an early generation Giant front hub motor SLA battery pedelec sitting on flat tyres.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suppose the can use RFID labels.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the police won't need to deal with the thefts. Just imagine some enterprising youth nicks the bike then scans the tag and uses the tag number to contact the owner for a quick restitution deal.

Reactions: flecc

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
the police won't need to deal with the thefts. Just imagine some enterprising youth nicks the bike then scans the tag and uses the tag number to contact the owner for a quick restitution deal.
Judging by your ststement of lack of use, maybe not such a strong enterprise.?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
OK so the minister for transport has said today the report is inexact: "no ID card, just marked frame".

So how are they going to engrave a carbon frame? Even steel and aluminium won't like their powder coat being carved into...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OK so the minister for transport has said today the report is inexact: "no ID card, just marked frame".
Won't do anything to stop the thefts of expensive bikes for all the other bike parts, everything except the frame. Not far from me there's a bike frame that's long been locked to a pavement bike stand. Just the frame, everything else gone, even the forks.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Won't do anything to stop the thefts of expensive bikes for all the other bike parts, everything except the frame. Not far from me there's a bike frame that's long been locked to a pavement bike stand. Just the frame, everything else gone, even the forks.
Brighton is full of these locked up bike carcasses

Not even expensive , folk will nick anything :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisers