Help! Ideas please

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
Earlier this year bought a 10 yr old Wisper 906xc. Not main while.. Not a good buy. Bought a recelled battery from Wisper - 36v Samsung 15ah 545w in case forbehind seat. But front hub 26” Dapu motor v v noisy and awful on hills. Wisper were brilliant and changed hub at no charge as was buying battery. But still the same and v poor hill climber.
So my options are to use the new battery on my wife’s Nano Brompton, bin the bike and sell it’s Alfine 8 etc on eBay or see if anyone wants it minus battery.
Before I do that anyone got or got ideas for a decent but cheap front hub / controller/lcd in case bike can be redeemed. BbS01 from Woosh one possibility ( and Woosh have been fantastic with help) but beginning to think cant make silk purse from sow’s ear!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
Thanks for this. Which particular controller and display- as there are several in your link? Also what motor do you have- a Bafang rear ? Mine is a Dapu front hub and is so noisy that it is an embarrassment to ride!! I wondered about changing it for a Bafang front hub. Is there a link for one of those? . As for the bbs01 - I have just measured again and the bb is 68mm wide and 35mm diam so I think a bbs01 would fit- but the issue is whether it is worth buying it. If I do it will be from Woosh -Tony has been SO helpful.

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
Thanks BFR 400. That sounds as if that might be the way to go. Treat me as an idiot in these matters so why a 17 A KT controller rather than the 20A wheeliepete suggested? Also which of the LCD in your link do you suggest? For £60 or so the new controller/ lcd is a lot cheaper than a bbs01 plus new front wheel. It’s also better than binning the bike as motor apart I really like it and the Alfine 8 too.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Yes, I have a bafang rear hub on the 905. The LED 890 display, 2nd from the left, or the LCD3, 2nd from the right would be better and give you amperage adjustment. I would get the whole kit because it makes the install more plug 'n' play and only adds a few £'s to your cost. Sorry to suggest the BBs01 wouldn't fit, I was basing it on my 905 which has a 90mm BB.

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
Yes, I have a bafang rear hub on the 905. The LED 890 display, 2nd from the left, or the LCD3, 2nd from the right would be better and give you amperage adjustment. I would get the whole kit because it makes the install more plug 'n' play and only adds a few £'s to your cost. Sorry to suggest the BBs01 wouldn't fit, I was basing it on my 905 which has a 90mm BB.
Thanks for this. I’ve not used that site before so am I right in ordering the kit with LCD3 which comes to £70 odd plus shipping? What is the advantage of the more expensive LCD over the LED 890? Am I right in assuming that the voltage can be lowered if necessary to say 17AH with either of those? I can understand that 20Ah will give me more grunt but not sure if it will blow the Dapu motor! Appreciate all the help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need the LCD to get access to all the settings. You can choose whichever one you want,though I think the LCD1 and LCD5 don't let you see so many settings - not that you need them all.

20 amps might cause you battery problems. Also, that's a lot of current for a small controller. you have to be a bit more careful about how you use it. The 20 amp version is better with slow motors. I can't remember the speed of yours, but I know the rear version is pretty fast.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
20 amps might cause you battery problems. Also, that's a lot of current for a small controller. you have to be a bit more careful about how you use it. The 20 amp version is better with slow motors. I can't remember the speed of yours, but I know the rear version is pretty fast.
Adrian has an Alfine hub gear, front Dapu motor, 68mm bottom bracket, 16AH battery.
That motor won't last if you send 20A into it.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/wisper/wisper-906xc-tourer-electric-bike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Adrian has an Alfine hub gear, front Dapu motor, 68mm bottom bracket, 16AH battery.
That motor won't last if you send 20A into it.
I've run 25 amps through one of those motors - no problem at all. I wouldn't recommend that in aluminium forks, though. Maybe even 20A is pushing it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've run 25 amps through one of those motors - no problem at all. I wouldn't recommend that in aluminium forks, though. Maybe even 20A is pushing it.
His motor is this one:

http://www.dapumotors.com/portfolio/m123-fs/

123mm, 30NM, 2.8KG

It's similar to the XF07 front hub.

Adrian needs a front SWX02 but because it's very hilly where he lives, the SWX02 may lose traction.

Dapu M123: