Help! Impulse 1.0 motor drive replacement

beached

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2012
Windy hilly Scotland
Has anyone successfully replaced a kalkhoff impulse motor with a motor system from another manufacturer?

I have been riding my kalkhoff Aguttu Alfine 11 pedelec from 50cycles for the past 12 years. It's not broken. It's worked wonderfully. It's had very regular lubrication of the motor system and (I think) three bearing replacements. So what's the problem??

Well I'm beginning to feel like Im on borrowed time. My battery needs recelling, I can see wear on the motor internals that I don't think I can fix without cannibalising another unit. So I think Im coming to a tipping point. However the bike's mechanical components are all still in excellent condition , I like them and there's really not anything significantly better I "just" want to buy a new battery, motor and control system to replace the impulse components.

Clearly this is expensive but it is not as expensive as a brand new bike. So has anyone successfully changed out the motor? If so did they have to weld/braze on new bolt eyes or are there motors with compatible bolt spacing available? Any experiences of this nature would be gratefully received.

thank you, beached

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's going to be a bit tricky because of the shape of the battery. If it were my bike, I'd just buy a frame or bike in bad condition, then swap over every part from your Agattu. I built my bike from just a frame I got from Ebay, then I sourced most of the other parts from Ebay and ended up with my perfect bike.

On the new bike, you would be able to fit whatever electric kit you wanted. The whole lot would cost about £600.

beached

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2012
Windy hilly Scotland
I suspect that the reason I'm so keen to keep the bike is that battery space. The battery location is great, low down and just behind the centre of mass. But possibly more usefully it forced kalkhoff to extend the rear wheel stays meaning that the bike has a 100mm longer footprint. That leads to a really nice stable ride (but cornering at speed feels ponderous) and I'm loathe to give it up. As you(saneagle) I suspect I'm going to be forced to build a bespoke solution. I had hoped that some standard bolt pattern for mid mounted motors had emerged in the market but everything suggests that's a pipe dream.

thank you for the feedback