Inkjet printer cartridges

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Any one having success with none brand cartridges.ime using an epson printer, two years ago i bought a pack of 30 cartridges and just loaded my last three,ime getting the message incompatible cartridge,its highly unlikely i had 3 faulty units and they happen to be the last three i use.
This means epson have updated something to stop me using them,i find it unbelievable that they get away with this restriction on my freedom of choice.
To make things worse ime on windows 8 and it tells me i cant remove the driver for this printer and that stops me using a generic driver.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I very much doubt Epson have updated the installed software without your knowledge, I don't think they have any facility to do that, unless of course you've got unrestricted updating allowed on your computer or a universal driver updating program installed.

It may be an electrical connection problem, since these cartridges have internal piezo-electric crystal injectors relying on the electrical connections from the printer. As the last three cartridges of a big batch, maybe the contact surfaces on the cartridges or on the cartridge receptor platform have oxided with failing connections. Try cleaning them and retrying the cartridges.

As for the driver, instead of using device manager or another Windows 8 facility to delete it, try locating the driver file directly and delete it the conventional way, right click etc.

D

Deleted member 4366

Many cartridges are intelligent, and so are the printers. Some printers/cartridges require hacking to get them to work properly.

These so called intelligent printers are a complete waste of time. They tell you to replace the cartridge when it's still full, and there's nothing you can do. We used to have terrible trouble at school. In every lesson that involved printing, there was a stream of kids running backwards and forwards to IT support for more cartridges.

I suspect that your printer will only allow so much printing before you have to reinitialise with original cartridges. Check the internet. There'll be a forum somewhere that'll explain about it.

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex
Its as dave says, i had the same problem with my epson printer.

you can down load a program off the internet that allows you to reprogram the cartridges.

will contact my son in law and get the details for you.

Reactions: Croxden

ajb9

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2012
newhaven east sussex
okay the firm is OCTOINKJET, you have to go onto there website and down load a programe.

you then have to pay a small fee ( few pounds) and they will give you a code.

put that code in and they will reprogram your cartridges, work well for me.

hope this helps

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Very strange,i managed to delete the driver but the printer wouldn't work on a generic driver,downloaded a new copy of the driver which came up with a message the cartridge i hadnt changed but had been using was incompatible so i changed it and its working now.
Dont you just love them

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

When I had my Epdson printer, I tried a lot of compatible cartridges, but I always had problems with blockages, mainly because I didn't use it very often. I spent more time doing head cleaning than I ever did printing. In the end, in a firt of frustration, I picked it up and ceremoniously carried it to the dustbin, where it was duly dumped. I then went out and bought a cheap laser printer, which has never missed a beat. The cartridges last me years because I don't use it much. No more stupid head-cleaning.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Some printers hold a three cartridge memory chip that tells it the last one is empty I get round this by putting the cartridge in +out 4 times this clears the chip to zero. this might work on epsom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Do as d8veh suggests, sent it for landfill and buy a mono laser. I bought a Brother combined mono laser printer, copier and scanner for £180 two years ago and it's fantastic. It's still on the original toner cartridge and I have a replacement in stock. The diagnostics still show tens of thousands of prints left before the expensive bits need replacing. By that time it will be following the inkjet to the landfill site as I will have had my money's worth.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
The problem is my hobby is photography and i do a fair bit of colour printing,i have a large stock of inkjet photo paper which stands a good chance of not working with a colour laser printer.
At the moment its working again and i have copied and filed the info in this thread for future reference

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I gave up with Epsons a few years back and switched to Canon. Recently my brother bought an Epson. Nothing but trouble, binned it.
He's now back to Canon and we both use compatible inks without any problem - 4 sets for £10 from Ebay.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Did have a quick look at laser colour printers and i think you can get photo paper for them,if the epson plays up again i think thats the way i will go.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
No knowledge of Epsoms, I'm afraid.

I use a Canon M5250 Pixma (with PrintFab additional software), as I too like good colour photo printing. (I think it's been superceded by the MG7150, similar machine, similar price).

Machine was only about £125 - set of inks from Canon are about £53, but I buy the generic version from Amazon for about £8 (for a full set of FIVE cartridges!).

Point being that people who see prints from the Canon with its generic inks CAN'T tell the difference, or at least don't say they can! Might be worth changing your printer supplier.

A

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
I find the quality of the print is more to do with the paper than the choice of ink,epson premium glossy gives great results with my printer and the cheaper inks.
I now dont do prints for sale any more they are give aways when i do them so low cost is important,the archive quality could be better with epson ink but i dont know that

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I'm sure you're right about the paper, Mike. Prints I've done on good quality Canon paper have lasted for years; similar ones done on cheapo stuff from Asda or wherever, have faded after a year or so.

A

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I ran a Samsung laser printer for BW together with an Epson 760 for photos for many years. Since the Epson was confined to photos so the cost was limited I used the genuine inks, and that combination gave no trouble whatsoever until the Samsung eventually started to fail. No longer needing much BW text printing I now use a Canon all-in-one for everything and retired the Epson, still working perfectly.

Advertisers