Insurance warning

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
I may be preaching to the converted, but do an an on-line quote before renewing your insurance.

I have home insurance with Direct line, partly because they treat e-bikes the same as push bikes.
I got a renewal notice a couple of days ago, and because I don't like to get ripped off, I did an on-line quote with the same company. Guess what ? ONE HUNDRED AND THREE POUNDS cheaper for exactly the same cover.

When I asked them to justify this, I was told that they have to more competitive on line in order to attract new business, I call it a rip off.
Pete.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They all do it of course, simply because they have to in order to stay in business. The blame lies with the firms that started the cut price underquoting in the first place.

However, if you take an introductory cut price, you'll find it will leap up year on year so will cost the same over time. That's the model they all use and the only way to avoid it is to change insurer every year.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Coffee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2018
I may be preaching to the converted, but do an an on-line quote before renewing your insurance.

I have home insurance with Direct line, partly because they treat e-bikes the same as push bikes.
I got a renewal notice a couple of days ago, and because I don't like to get ripped off, I did an on-line quote with the same company. Guess what ? ONE HUNDRED AND THREE POUNDS cheaper for exactly the same cover.

When I asked them to justify this, I was told that they have to more competitive on line in order to attract new business, I call it a rip off.
Pete.
Hi,
Found one for ebikes as cheap as £47 per year, includes some public liability as well.
Do many cyclists bother with insurance, i was thinking about taking some out just from a third party point of view. Age eh. :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
last time i looked it was £40 a month for my bike and no house insurance as my server and speakers cost to much so needs to be separate.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi,
Found one for ebikes as cheap as £47 per year, includes some public liability as well.
Do many cyclists bother with insurance, i was thinking about taking some out just from a third party point of view. Age eh. :D
£47 sounds cheap, it cost me £200 with procycle, which was for two bikes costinfg £7000 but as they are now barely worth £1000 each I am looking.. which company is it you found.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Pedelec insurance is a rip off
I can insure my cars worth twice as much for less money:(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
£47 sounds cheap, it cost me £200 with procycle, which was for two bikes costinfg £7000 but as they are now barely worth £1000 each I am looking.. which company is it you found.
it might be worth 1000 quid but to replace it with something as good would cost the same or even more if you had to buy a new one.

tbh i think all insurance is a rip off and they will try everything to not pay out in some cases.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
it might be worth 1000 quid but to replace it with something as good would cost the same or even more if you had to buy a new one.

tbh i think all insurance is a rip off and they will try everything to not pay out in some cases.
Trouble is that whatever amount you insure it for they will only pay what they think it's worth. Mine will replace wirh new up to 2 years old..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
last time i tried it was new for old so clamped down on that then lol so imo it is just not worth it after that.

still better than applecare tho thats just shocking :eek:

Coffee

Aug 19, 2018

https://www.cycleguard.co.uk/Products/ElectricBike
These are the guys, don't know anything about them it's the first link I came to.
Kept in car cover looks promising to me,
That's were its kept untill the wife stops pulling/ripping her sun lounger out of the shed come autumn.

I've just paid £769 for my folder so your quote may cost a little more.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
£34.96 a month!

Coffee

Aug 19, 2018
Tonight mine came out at £55 for the year?
I forgot to put the public liability and personal injury last time but with the 1 mill cover it still only came out at £77 for the year!

Maybe it's a post code thing?

Dave.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Advertisers