Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
my unifi disc goes through 2 concrete walls and a floor for the kodi box in the front room and streams films with no problems on the wifi even with all the other devices on it as well.

ubiquiti is enterprise class hardware and can be scaled to one disc or hundreds if you live in a castle ;)

the software has been updated now tho but still works the same way ;)
There is concrete wall then there is concrete wall... Concrete from the 1920s is some parts of the world is impenetrable by radio waves, I tried. That house was therefore cabled with cat 5 and you had to go to the window to use the phone. The clay the Romans used to make the bricks in the southwest of France has quite a bit of iron sands in it with the results you can imagine. Here I am sitting in a wooden house from 1870s and I can connect my WiFi box from the bar three floors down.

A client asked me to connect their network to an outbuilding about 400 m away from the main building. I had to find a space between the branches of a small oak tree wood between the two and the spot for the antenna under the roof was only 1 metre in diameter. The connection wasn't very good in strong winds... :eek:

cardenal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2016
Scarborough, UK
Wow. Thanks so much fellas. Your advice is much appreciated. So, there are a number of options.
I've been reading up on Powerline adapters, and like the sound of the technology. It uses the electric cabling already installed in the house. So there's no rewiring, and you get a physical cabling connection.
https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/blogs/news/whats-all-this-i-hear-about-powerline-network-adapters
I've ordered some online. Hope it's ok. And setup is not overly technical. D8ve, maybe you can send over your butler if I'm struggling??
:) :)

Fingers crossed.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Please James is required here, perhaps one of my techie monkeys instead.

• :D
Reactions: cardenal

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I used a Homeplug (LAN over electric sockets) for running my computer upstairs with router downstairs.

Worked a treat and never had any problems with it.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I used a Homeplug (LAN over electric sockets) for running my computer upstairs with router downstairs.

Worked a treat and never had any problems with it.
... And these work very well provided you only use 2 or 3 of them. A Master and 2 or 3 slaves. Once the number rises above 4 , depending on the brand and the software revision they can or might exhibit problems. Some can handle 4 and some 16 nodes

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Just caught the tail end of this conversation. In my experience there's no doubt that currently, the likes of cat6 cabling is better than wifi, in terms of being able to carry 4k etc etc. However, so is a Linn sondek turntable connected via a flagship amp to B&W speakers, in terms of sound. The compromise with all of this is of course a lot more cables and complexity etc etc.

I've completely changed the set up of my home systems, de-cluttering hardware, getting rid of all the cables and selling dvd's and cd's etc. I'm now 50 yrs old, eye's not as good nor hearing so the real detail in picture quality / sound is not something I notice as much.

I have the 200mb Virgin broadband. Bearing in mind I have 5 people in house of which three are teenagers and always on internet. This allows me to have one master point on wall with wifi router connected to all devices and without issues. Most people seem to think you can have 20 wifi items connects to a 2mb wifi, really!.

Whether we like it or not, even cat6e cabling will become a thing of the past in years to come as the direction is towards simple / easy wireless systems. I use the word easy wireless with caution!.

My system involves TV, Projector, Sonos speakers through house, NAS drive (storing all movies, music etc), NEST and LIFX lights. All can be managed from any point in the house using iphone. I don't need an wifi extender, but there are plenty of good ones out there.

In summary, and IMHO wireless is easy to install and move, gets rid of all those cables and allows ease of use / flexibility.

Each to their own.:)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just caught the tail end of this conversation. In my experience there's no doubt that currently, the likes of cat6 cabling is better than wifi, in terms of being able to carry 4k etc etc. However, so is a Linn sondek turntable connected via a flagship amp to B&W speakers, in terms of sound. The compromise with all of this is of course a lot more cables and complexity etc etc.

I've completely changed the set up of my home systems, de-cluttering hardware, getting rid of all the cables and selling dvd's and cd's etc. I'm now 50 yrs old, eye's not as good nor hearing so the real detail in picture quality / sound is not something I notice as much.

I have the 200mb Virgin broadband. Bearing in mind I have 5 people in house of which three are teenagers and always on internet. This allows me to have one master point on wall with wifi router connected to all devices and without issues. Most people seem to think you can have 20 wifi items connects to a 2mb wifi, really!.

Whether we like it or not, even cat6e cabling will become a thing of the past in years to come as the direction is towards simple / easy wireless systems. I use the word easy wireless with caution!.

My system involves TV, Projector, Sonos speakers through house, NAS drive (storing all movies, music etc), NEST and LIFX lights. All can be managed from any point in the house using iphone. I don't need an wifi extender, but there are plenty of good ones out there.

In summary, and IMHO wireless is easy to install and move, gets rid of all those cables and allows ease of use / flexibility.

Each to their own.:)
... I'll agree with the each to his own. After that we must part company.

1. The revival of vinyl records has constantly puzzled me. Why anyone would want to return it a world of rumble, tracking errors , hum, wow and flutter , limited dynamic range, limited stereo separation, limited duration defeats me. The argument touted that there is a wider frequency response than CD is potentially correct but practically irrelevant and CDs could have any frequency range desired. You can record video on CD if desired. There was a TV programme in the 1980 s about computer gaming i think called " bad influence" and there was a technical section in it each week. The compere. Referred to his audience as "techifurtlers" and that is the image I bring to mind when i read of the thousands of pounds spent on trying to get a disc rotating at a fixed speed and get a tiny diamond stylus to vibrate.
2. The geometry of a specific house will dictate whether WiFi is suitable. The practice of using aluminium backed polyurethane foam insulation in walls can play havoc as can thick concrete or rubble walls. In my earlier post I indicated difficulties in these areas and how the different plug in internet adaptors, sometimes got confused. I found in my case that cat6 cabling gave and continues to give the most reliable performance.
In a future there is a proposal to use modulation on the output of led lamps, including those in the ceiling rose to transmit data at high data rates. So we might converge in a future where the data transmission is wireless and optical

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0701_01.JPG DSC_0234.JPG DSC_0231.JPG DSC_0232.JPG

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
1. The revival of vinyl records has constantly puzzled me. Why anyone would want to return it a world of rumble, tracking errors , hum, wow and flutter , limited dynamic range, limited stereo separation, limited duration defeats me. The argument touted that there is a wider frequency response than CD is potentially correct but practically irrelevant and CDs could have any frequency range desired. You can record video on CD if desired. There was a TV programme in the 1980 s about computer gaming i think called " bad influence" and there was a technical section in it each week. The compere. Referred to his audience as "techifurtlers" and that is the image I bring to mind when i read of the thousands of pounds spent on trying to get a disc rotating at a fixed speed and get a tiny diamond stylus to vibrate.
I can't answer for those who listen to pop music, but I can for my classical listening. No matter how expensive the equipment, what I hear from CDs bears little resemblance to what I hear live in concert halls of all sizes from orchestral, ensemble and solo performances. Vinyl reproduction is very much closer and importantly presents a spatial sound stage that no CD has ever got near to in my experience.

Much of this aural superiority of vinyl is due to the intrinsic errors of extracting the information from the groove, the sum of the errors approximating all the acoustical errors of listening venues.. But that doesn't matter, hearing music isnt a technical data reading experience, it's an emotional one.

I found in my case that cat6 cabling gave and continues to give the most reliable performance.
The same for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
decent 3 way monitors/speakers cost mega bucks and then you need expensive ad da converters for the best result if there active monitors.

you also want a super flat frequency response from the monitors and only very hi end ported monitors can do this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATC-SCM-40-Passive-in-an-expensive-satin-piano-finish-/272576230017?hash=item3f76cf3281:g:dd0AAOSwjDZYkgtT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bryston-4B-SST2-Stereo-power-amplifier-2-x-300-Watt-RMS-17-Black-Used-/371796936572?hash=item5690d3077c:g:sisAAOSwux5YNcNx

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
decent 3 way monitors/speakers cost mega bucks and then you need expensive ad da converters for the best result if there active monitors.
Done it all, using BC1 monitors which I prefer for my listening, but have also tried very expensive active monitors.

Even gone as far as a Meridian digital processor to remove all the flags and extraneous data from the CD before D to A conversion to ensure the converter had the cleanest possible conditions.

The end result from CDs never approaches the reality of live music, in general it's an accentuated reality which is very false. It can be exciting, even exhilarating, but that can be very undesirable in classical music where it can destroy the mood intentions of the composer.

The blame isn't entirely that of the CD medium, as often as not it's the very precision of CD reproduction that exposes the spatial errors of the multi-track recording process.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
... I'll agree with the each to his own. After that we must part company.

2. The geometry of a specific house will dictate whether WiFi is suitable. The practice of using aluminium backed polyurethane foam insulation in walls can play havoc as can thick concrete or rubble walls. In my earlier post I indicated difficulties in these areas and how the different plug in internet adaptors, sometimes got confused. I found in my case that cat6 cabling gave and continues to give the most reliable performance.
In a future there is a proposal to use modulation on the output of led lamps, including those in the ceiling rose to transmit data at high data rates. So we might converge in a future where the data transmission is wireless and optical
The best quality music i ever heard played was on vinyl, full of life!!!!!. CD and digital is very clinical. Ask any true audiophile over say 40yrs of age and he / she will agree.

To qualify this and without being snobby, you have to have decent kit in the first place, an ALBA deck isn't going to do it.

I'm speaking as someone who now has spotify and sonos, but as i said i did this fore ease of use and my teenage girls nagging me. I did keep my linn, but the connection to sonos is pathetic.

I talk about wifi etc as it's well documented that wireless technology is a big investment for manufacturers and telecoms companies alike. Personally i'll be glad to see the back of cables.

I was talking to a guy in the states who is promoting speakers that can fit anywhere in your wall and you plaster over them. These are not speakers in the traditional sense, but he informs me the quality is up their with B&W, again wireless technology.

Finally, the wireless tech will take over, as we all know the more physical connections we have the more we degrade the signal i.e. whether speaker cable direct to speaker or degraded by speaker plugs attached to cable and then to speaker etc etc

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I can't answer for those who listen to pop music, but I can for my classical listening. No matter how expensive the equipment, what I hear from CDs bears little resemblance to what I hear live in concert halls of all sizes from orchestral, ensemble and solo performances. Vinyl reproduction is very much closer and importantly presents a spatial sound stage that no CD has ever got near to in my experience.

Much of this aural superiority of vinyl is due to the intrinsic errors of extracting the information from the groove, the sum of the errors approximating all the acoustical errors of listening venues.. But that doesn't matter, hearing music isnt a technical data reading experience, it's an emotional one.

The same for me.
Beautifully put and totally agree!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0249_1.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they dont make one that is loud enough lol ;) those monitors are from town house studio :p
DSC_0647.JPG
DSC_0366_01.JPG

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Steve A and flecc

Advertisers