Is a removable display a must? Which models have them?

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
Hi

I'm trying to work out what features I need/want in a bike.

Is a removable display high on that list? By that I suppose I mean have people had them nicked or broken?
If so are they expensive to replace?

I intend using the bike for commuting and it will be safe in work but if I take it to town or the gym I'll be leaving it locked up and alone. It seems better to be able to remove anything that can be stolen or vandalised.

I'm not sure what my budget is yet - probably expecting to pay £1000 to £1500, and really don't want to go much over that all. Which makes or models if any have removable displays?

Damian

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I was asking myself the same question when I was looking for which bike to buy, and it basically seems that only Bosch-powered bikes have a removable display.

I have a Kalkhoff bike, and display is very nice (clear and automatically backlit) but not removable, and they don't seem to have any models with a removable display, which is annoying. The screw can be removed, but not the cabling, so it could be moved a bit/hidden away, but probably not designed for that.

I agree I would much prefer being able to remove the display if possible, as most cheap after market bike computers can be. However, the fall back option is to cover it at least (I think it would significantly reduce risk of accidental or intentional damage if covered by black neoprene and less visible).

Replacing the display on my bike would cost £100 in parts, but would then probably take a significant time to replace because of cabling/wiring.

I almost never leave the bike unattended in a public area (or out of sight), so it's not an issue for me.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'm not sure what my budget is yet - probably expecting to pay £1000 to £1500, and really don't want to go much over that all. Which makes or models if any have removable displays?

Damian
Your budget is too low to worry about it.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Hi

I'm trying to work out what features I need/want in a bike.

Is a removable display high on that list? By that I suppose I mean have people had them nicked or broken?
If so are they expensive to replace?

I intend using the bike for commuting and it will be safe in work but if I take it to town or the gym I'll be leaving it locked up and alone. It seems better to be able to remove anything that can be stolen or vandalised.

Damian
I have a Chinese bike with a kings meter display - within a few weeks of getting it some helpful local had scratched the display with a sharp object. at first I minded, then I didn't - I specifically got a cheap Chinese bike with a fat ugly plastic saddle and low quality components to deter vandalism and now, well over a year down the line, the scratched display (that still works fine) feels part of that goal (i.e. it makes the bike less attractive and likely to stir up envy amongst the inbred local primates). I cant imagine in my reality taking stuff like a display off a bike and with me - the sheer faff would just be too much. if I lived in an area I had to do that I'd probably get an even cheaper kit without a display.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I have a Chinese bike with a kings meter display - within a few weeks of getting it some helpful local had scratched the display with a sharp object. at first I minded, then I didn't - I specifically got a cheap Chinese bike with a fat ugly plastic saddle and low quality components to deter vandalism and now, well over a year down the line, the scratched display (that still works fine) feels part of that goal (i.e. it makes the bike less attractive and likely to stir up envy amongst the inbred local primates). I cant imagine in my reality taking stuff like a display off a bike and with me - the sheer faff would just be too much. if I lived in an area I had to do that I'd probably get an even cheaper kit without a display.
"inbred local primates" Bwahahahahahaha!! :) Excellent!

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Having a removable display and taking it with you when you park up is like removing the key. Recently a hard seven was stolen in the area. I am waiting for someone to show up looking for a display and a charger. I will be doing my best to reunite the bike with the owner when it happens. I think this holds true with most shops.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Bikes with removeable displays are usually Bosch and Yamaha, they are at the wrong side of your £1500 budget. Tell us more about what you want in your bike, you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
A Freego Eagle has a digital display that lights up when the lights are turned on. While it is not removable, it is a great feature on a fully kitted £1399 bike. It also features 8 gears, Hydraulic disc brakes, flip of the lever adjustable head set, lock out front forks and more.

Reactions: damian

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not sure what you mean. On a bike costing £1500 the display would only cost a piddling amount to replace?
Or £1500 isn't a reasonable amount of money? It is to me...
Damian could get a Bosch bike from the appropriately named in this case Damian Harris Cycles.

I thought the Yamaha display was moveable but not removable.

Could be wrong about that, perhaps an owner/retailer can confirm.

http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/ele_0173_cz/cube-cross-hybrid-race-allroad-500-2016-electric-bike

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Since there are about 3.5 bikes powered by a Yamaha system on the market, I am not sure this is too relevant

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Sorry, I retract my comment then...

Yamaha is clearly one of the mainstream providers of systems for electric bikes, and accounts for a large proportion of those.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Since there are about 3.5 bikes powered by a Yamaha system on the market, I am not sure this is too relevant
Who buys half a bike?

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Hi RobF, the bike in your link I noticed a week or so ago, the bike description brings up another model, which is odd, the model as stated in the link is fitted with the Bosch CX 75nm Motor, so I would imagine the price will change when 2016 stock becomes availalble.

I am thinking the price could be a typo, which coincidently came about after I mentioned on here that MHW Bike of Germany, are doing the same model for £1,900 inc delivery to the UK, I hope I am wrong, as my local Cube dealer up here near Manchester, will match and better the price!

Now that would be a nice Ebike for under £1,500 don't you think.

From what I have learned Battery and Motor are worth around £1,200!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Rohlffboy, rather than having you derail yet another thread with questions that aren't relevant, why not start your own thread.

Back on topic.

BH also have removal console displays.

The Panasonic system might also be removable, but I can't confirm that until after getting the next bike.

From my experience of both Bosch systems, Intuvia and Nyon, plus the BH system, being able to remove the console is very good for peace of mind when leaving the bike unattended.
It won't stop the bike from being stolen, but it stops the potential of vandalism, and also might help to get a stolen bike back, when someone tries to buy a replacement console bike. That could be more relevant to BH bikes, as there are fewer bikes out there, but it cold help.

The downside that I have experienced with all three consoles, is that moisture quickly gets between the two components. The BH is definitely worse in this respect, and whilst the Bosch system seems to shrug the moisture off and just carries on working, the BH system won't, and quickly starts throwing out error codes.

If all of the companies simply had an extra moulded lip to three sides of the display, it wouldn't be so much of an issue, and might even stop the problem altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan Quay