Is global warming the con of the century?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
How does environmental concern push up oil prices?.
Lesser competition helps to hold up oil price.
The real competition for oil is cheap coal. You would rather compete against nuclear/wind/solar/wave than cheap coal. So you pay to publicize that coal is killing the planet.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Where have all the goverment grants to help green projects gone,solar power grants are being reduced,train fares are going upbus fares going up,there is no incentive anywhere.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
There is a factor that the global warming crowd rarely brings up. That is the ever changing dynamics and output from the sun. I follow several note worthy and reliable sites, including NASA, and they have all discussed the huge shift in sunspot and solar flare activity. In fact, just google "sunspot activity" and be prepared for a bit of a shock.

Here is a link to one of several articles on how the sun is getting cooler to the point that it may spark global cooling:
http://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/

There is a lot of reputable discussion going on about how the diminishing activity sun may spark the start of a mini ice age, within the lifetime of our younger populist. This you never hear about when the politicians are banging their fist on the desks for more money to fight "global warming". Where this money actually winds up is another thread for discussion I am sure.

Just 10,000 years ago, Scotland and half of England were covered in an ice cap caused by an ice age. 10,000 years ago is a blip in the plane'ts time scale. Yet it happened and went away with no intervention from man. If we were facing major global cooling, what could be do? Reminds me of an ancient tale of a demented king whom declared war on the ocean's tide. He sent his soldiers into the oncoming tide, with their swords, hacking at the waves. Then he declared victory when the tide started to recede..........

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If global warming is occurring and being accelerated by humans and we do nothing life will become difficult at best.
If it is not being made worse by humans and we increase our efficiency and reduce pollution at a moderate cost to our life style then what is the worst that will happen?

C

Cyclezee

If global warming is occurring and being accelerated by humans and we do nothing life will become difficult at best.
If it is not being made worse by humans and we increase our efficiency and reduce pollution at a moderate cost to our life style then what is the worst that will happen?
Totally agree Geebee, whether you think human activity is responsible for climate change or not, polluting the planet is causing immeasurable damage so we all need to do something to mitigate that effect.

C

Cyclezee

This may be an unpopular suggestion in some sectors, but one of many measures we could take would be to increase the levels of vehicle excise duty for the heavier polluters e.g. as a starting point, double the the rate for CO2 emissions greater than 200 gm/Km.

Obviously this would have to based on real world figures, not those which have resulted from software cheating.

When it comes to energy conservation, I am sure we on this forum are well aware of measures we could all take that would make a difference without dramatically altering our life styles and at the same time save money.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When it comes to energy conservation, I am sure we on this forum are well aware of measures we could all take that would make a difference without dramatically altering our life styles and at the same time save money.
Starting seriously from 1970, I was early into all forms of conservation, but now I'm much older I'm not so good in this respect. I feel the ill effect of cold much more and this has various effects. Firstly I use very much more energy in heating my home than I did at younger ages when the cold never troubled me. Secondly I'm much more inclined to use the car for short journeys in cold and/or wet weather. And the many years of recycling for 54 neighbours using a bike and large cycle trailer I stopped doing at 75 years old, so all their waste that could be recycled now goes to landfill due to them having no recycling collection service.

And to be honest, since I only have a few more years on the planet, my awareness that any damage I do is limited and that I don't have long enough to save the planet makes me less inclined to bother.

Much of this will apply to many older people of course, so as well as increasing the tax on high polluting cars, perhaps culling the elderly would help. ;) :eek:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
By all measures we are, each of us, tiny and irrelevant.
Looking at the stars at night we are right to feel equals only to a molecule of space dust.
Compared to our sun we are totally insignificant.
Stood next to a glacier, river or flooded street, miniscule and highly vulnerable.
Stepping into a large gas-guzzler may make us feel temporarily superior, until we hit the same traffic as everyone else.
Climbing onto a bus, or train, just another anonymous, ferried passenger. Sitting on a bike, I feel somewhat bigger and more in control, yet still at risk of being ignored.
Amongst a group of cyclists, either out for sport, leisure or commuting, or even as a member of a cycling forum on the internet, more of a recognisable force for (modest) change.

Reactions: Emo Rider and flecc

Advertisers