Is there a better option than a Cube Reaction Hybrid?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi,
I originally posted this in General Discussions, in reply to someone advising that Cube ebikes are poorly specced & there are better options out there...

Can you point me to ANY 'class 2' ebike (70/30% road/light-trail suitable) with a Bosch performance CX mk4 motor that sells for less than the Cube Reaction with a 625wh battery?

At this point I'm not even stipulating it should have like (or better) specification drive train, brakes, or forks - Anything with the CX motor.

I can't find anything suitable for less than a grand more than the Cube.

Any advice welcome,

Jack
PS: The 2021 Reaction 625 is/was £2,600.

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
Nope, I don't see one, I've seen the new Canyon ebike which looks "nice" for around £2800 but it's 500wh, they also do an option to tag a 500wh frame battery on, but cost just goes up. I've got the 2020 version of the Reaction Hybrid Pro 500wh frame battery, not sure how many miles I've done, no problems as such, just maintenance, new chain, brake pads etc. I've added mud huggers front and rear to stop the worst of the spray/loam and I've upgraded the fork as my local dealer had an offer on air forks. Makes it a lot lighter on the front, but being a "proper" mtb fork lost my handlebar lockout. My next upgrade will be rotors/mounts. But the nice thing is you can do upgrades as you like. Best, Phil.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I've been critical of Cube bikes but mainly because sometimes pricing is uncompetitive for the spec and there has been obviously better bikes available for less etc. Ultimately though if that is the best deal you can get then that is the best option. My point is mainly most brands are just selling fairly generic Asian manufactured bikes, with a European or US brand is slapped on is less important compared to specification and geometry etc. Ebikes do really benefit from local support though especially mid-drive and Cube are available at local dealers. If I had a choice between two near identical bikes one a Canyon and one a Cube at my local dealer there is no way I'm buying the Canyon because the support of my local dealer has real value. However when there is £1500 difference between them with the Canyon being the cheaper option then that is a huge difference.

There are so many components on bikes and the specs of the frames etc can vary a lot. It can be very time consuming to make an accurate comparison of different ebikes. It really also depends on your disposable income, with a high disposable income perhaps you value your own time more highly.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Thanks for the replies confirming my experiences:

I've been looking for a viable alternative ever since my abortive attempt, in January, to buy the 2020 Reaction 625 so my 2018-er can go into semi-retirement.

I've done over 12,000 miles on it now & been perfectly happy with it; the 'problem' now being that I'm 72 & starting to run out of puff on a couple of the longer hills on my regular rides.
I'm hoping the extra 10nm & a brace of 625wh batteries will make that bit more grunt available to keep me enjoying my riding a few more years.

I've been so impressed with the Reaction, with a 2nd battery, that it'll live quietly in the man-cave for my grandaughter to ride when she comes to stay.

The following was intended as a separate reply to Bonzo, but one fubared the post.

I've been critical of Cube bikes but mainly because sometimes pricing is uncompetitive for the spec and there has been obviously better bikes available for less etc. Ultimately though if that is the best deal you can get then that is the best option. My point is mainly most brands are just selling fairly generic Asian manufactured bikes, with a European or US brand is slapped on is less important compared to specification and geometry etc. Ebikes do really benefit from local support though especially mid-drive and Cube are available at local dealers. If I had a choice between two near identical bikes one a Canyon and one a Cube at my local dealer there is no way I'm buying the Canyon because the support of my local dealer has real value. However when there is £1500 difference between them with the Canyon being the cheaper option then that is a huge difference.

There are so many components on bikes and the specs of the frames etc can vary a lot. It can be very time consuming to make an accurate comparison of different ebikes. It really also depends on your disposable income, with a high disposable income perhaps you value your own time more highly.
As in your answer to my original query in General Discussion, you are talking completely in generalities, with no foundation to your statements.
To be taken seriously you have to back up your opinions with at least some facts.
I asked for details of ANY trail-capable ebike using the Bosch CX series 4 motor, available cheaper than the Cube Reaction 625.
Instead of which, you've come back with yet more generalities regarding your opinion that the grade of kit fitted to the Cubes is inferior - To What?

Luckily, a couple of others on here have answered, confirming my thoughts that there is no better alternative available (once the 2022 ebikes start coming in); thus keeping this forum at least a little informative.

Unfortunately, the reason I eventually stopped posting on here after several years of answering folks' questions to the best of my ability, was just this - Too many opinions unable to be supported with facts.

It's a shame, because this used to be the Very Best source of info & good-natured banter for ebikers of all sorts.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Thought I would weigh in with my Cube experience again Jack. I had commented on your original Cube 2022 post. Anyway my Cube is a year old and I was passing my LBS but not where I bought my Cube,which i bought online due to availability issues.
I went in to ask about yearly services but said I only want the electronics checked as I like to look after the chain/sprockets etc myself. They said if its only the electronics bring it in now, they put it on the computer checked the system for error codes, updated the motor to 85nm and added the new EMTB setting to the LCD screen and gave me a printout which told me my 1 year old battery with 3000 miles on it was 93% efficient, and wouldn't take any money saying it was a free Bosch service. :)

• Informative
Reactions: TedG and MontyPAS

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies confirming my experiences:

I've been looking for a viable alternative ever since my abortive attempt, in January, to buy the 2020 Reaction 625 so my 2018-er can go into semi-retirement.

I've done over 12,000 miles on it now & been perfectly happy with it; the 'problem' now being that I'm 72 & starting to run out of puff on a couple of the longer hills on my regular rides.
I'm hoping the extra 10nm & a brace of 625wh batteries will make that bit more grunt available to keep me enjoying my riding a few more years.

I've been so impressed with the Reaction, with a 2nd battery, that it'll live quietly in the man-cave for my grandaughter to ride when she comes to stay.

The following was intended as a separate reply to Bonzo, but one fubared the post.

As in your answer to my original query in General Discussion, you are talking completely in generalities, with no foundation to your statements.
To be taken seriously you have to back up your opinions with at least some facts.
I asked for details of ANY trail-capable ebike using the Bosch CX series 4 motor, available cheaper than the Cube Reaction 625.
Instead of which, you've come back with yet more generalities regarding your opinion that the grade of kit fitted to the Cubes is inferior - To What?

Luckily, a couple of others on here have answered, confirming my thoughts that there is no better alternative available (once the 2022 ebikes start coming in); thus keeping this forum at least a little informative.

Unfortunately, the reason I eventually stopped posting on here after several years of answering folks' questions to the best of my ability, was just this - Too many opinions unable to be supported with facts.

It's a shame, because this used to be the Very Best source of info & good-natured banter for ebikers of all sorts.
My point is many have posted comments previously about Cube being a high quality German product with perceived extra quality when in fact they are mainly an importer who buy from quite low end factories in the far east which is information very easy to find online.

So not sure why you went off in some childish rant. I'm pretty sure I also posted in another thread a non ebike Cube mountain bike that had very poor components for its price compared to other brands. So the value was very poor at times. They also have lower weight limits and shorter frame warranties I believe so ultimately you factor this into any buying decision.

I've seen many Cube bikes which have been very poor value but ultimately at the moment stock is limited.

If I responded like you to every post I disliked like you I would be writing a lot of abusive posts. I see no reason why people cannot be polite to each other rather than making pathetic childish comments. We can all disagree without writing such comments. I've seen so many opinions on this forum which no factual basis at all. Often people clueless to how products they don't own work yet they form their own ridiculous opinions on them and present them on this forum.

Yes I think Cube are generally best avoided it is better to buy directly from an Asian brand or often a UK importer because it simplifies the logistics of buying such products and lowers the price. I see no perceived value in the Cube brand its just a brand slap on an Asian bike.

• Disagree
Reactions: stevenatleven

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I am currently in the process of trying to update my excellent Volt Infinity to a Cube Kathmandu Pro 500 with CX 85 motor. The battery will be 500 which is bigger than my 400 and I like the air front forks idea and the more powerful motor for more assistance for my dodgy left peg :( .
I can see one on the Mainland and it can be shipped (or I will grab a ferry over and bring it back) but I need to find a LBS which is capable / willing to look after it as support is essential for my long term situation.
Getting mixed messages from Cube dealers here as to their "obligation" on warranty.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
the problem with a LBS they can't do much/anything to fix your Cube if its the motor or the battery that goes wrong unless they are a Bosch dealer. I bought my Cube online but i have a Cube/Bosch dealer near me who couldn't supply a bike but will help me out with warranty claims.
the best thing might be to keep the box and ship it back to the dealer if there is a problem.
which island are you living on ?

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I also have a couple of Cube / Bosch dealers near me and as I said I am getting mixed messages as to whether or not they will handle claims / repairs during the warranty period. Neither of them are currently able to supply this bike.
I would need basic updates / servicing etc to be carried out by either one of them before I would consider buying online.
I live in Northern Ireland UK.