Is there a pedelec that gives me both more comfort and top line speed?

News

Just Joined
May 18, 2019
I currently ride a road bike but want to cycle more and be comfortable doing it. This means more off road terrain, canal paths, tracks , (bad paving) and longer road distances meaning getting up hills easier to go further.
To this end I am looking at electric bikes with suspension. My conerns are.
1) top end speed on all electric bikes with suspension don't seem to have gearing ratios that makes cycling beyond (when the motor cuts out ) 15.5mph reasonable or possible without pedelling frantically.
2) hybrId pedelecs don't feel much more comfortable than road bikes . Full suspension bikes are too inefficient and slow for longer road sections of the journey.
Am I mistaken with my concerns and are there solutions out there that I have not explored yet.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Neil

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046_02.JPG
dongle 35mph ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
1) top end speed on all electric bikes with suspension don't seem to have gearing ratios that makes cycling beyond (when the motor cuts out ) 15.5mph reasonable or possible without pedelling frantically.
you can have the same gearing on e-bikes as normal bikes if you so wish. There are plenty of after market parts to do that.
Also, you can convert more or less any normal bike to electric.
What gear ratio would you like?

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I built this one comfort and speed 35mph:D plus To get what you want will mean build it, or modify a shop bike

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
A 700c hybrid would seem to fit your description. Generally they have a 48t large cog, with the right rear cone, giving around 30/32mph at a reasonable cadence. 50 or 60mm travel forks cover all but the roughest off road, and fit it with a Suntour ncx seatpost, you've got your comfort. So, you've just got to find one with a frame that suits, then convert it. A process that leaves you with a bike that you know every nut and bolt on and a higher probability of being able to fix yourself should the mystical electric bit play up.;)
I found that the Halfords Carrera crossfire 3 suited me (used an Ezee kit), though the Boardman comp bikes look nice. Depends how much you want to spend really.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you want speed comfort and efficiency, it's probably best to build your own using an older full susp bike that has a large enough triangle like GT or Rocky Mountain. Change the tyres to something like 1 1/2". You should be able to achieve a target weight of around 18kg with a 48v hub-motor and a 15Ah battery

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Plenty of suggestions above to keep you thinking
Are you looking to build or buy

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Your e-bike options for cobbles etc. are mountain bikes or touring bikes. Both cope with them fine,
Tourers weigh a ton though as a rule - but are ideal for long distance off road. Get one with a suspension seat post and a wider range for your high gears for flat tarmac bits and you should be fine.

If you really intend to spend a lot of time over 25kph then you could dongle it, but that is pretty stupid behaviour for off road trails/canal banks to be honest.

Maybe just get a light gravel bike and a kit?

Getting an e bike that is light, comfortable, has range, does well on and off road, manages hills etc. is everyone;s wish list - but you have to make some compromises somewhere...