Is there like a double safety feature when charging?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I was wondering, when charging my 48v pack, whether the charger provides a safety cut-off at 54.6v, as well as the battery BMS.

In a hypothetical situation, where the charger didn't cut off, would the BMS kick in to save the day?

D

Deleted member 4366

The charger only provides a single voltage, so it can't over-charge. If somehow, something went wrong with it and its voltage mysteriously changed to a higher one, then the BMS shuts off the charging, so you won't have a problem.

The same with discharge. You have a low voltage cut-off in the controller and the BMS, so if one doesn't work, you have a second chance.

It's always best to check that these things actually work. These chargers are great for testing because you can set them to whatever you want. Did you get one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-3A-DC-High-Precision-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-Switching-Power-Supply-OVP-OCP-OTP-Low-Power/32338416451.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.v619zY

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Did you get one?
I'm probably being overcautious Dave. I've just replaced my 11.6Ah 29E 48v dolphin pack with a 12Ah 30Q 48v one. Even though they are similar battery packs, the chargers are different. The previous one being a 54.6v 2A non fan plastic charger, and the new one being a 54.6v 2A metal cased with fan.

I'm hoping that both chargers operate in exactly the same way. Was just curious why one needs a fan and the other doesn't. I'd like to use the non fan one instead, as it's much quieter in operation.

As I say overcautious, reason why I've never gone LiPo :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think I worded this thread totally wrong. It should have been more directed at the info in post #3.

Anyone know why one has a fan and the other doesn't need one?

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The charger only provides a single voltage, so it can't over-charge. If somehow, something went wrong with it and its voltage mysteriously changed to a higher one, then the BMS shuts off the charging, so you won't have a problem.

The same with discharge. You have a low voltage cut-off in the controller and the BMS, so if one doesn't work, you have a second chance.

It's always best to check that these things actually work. These chargers are great for testing because you can set them to whatever you want. Did you get one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-3A-DC-High-Precision-Compact-Digital-Adjustable-Switching-Power-Supply-OVP-OCP-OTP-Low-Power/32338416451.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.v619zY
Thank you d8veh, but I don't know what OVP/OCP/OTP Low Power & CPS-6003 means when I checked the product description.

Please remember that I am not in your intelligent category.

MS.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you d8veh, but I don't know what OVP/OCP/OTP Low Power & CPS-6003 means when I checked the product description.

Please remember that I am not in your intelligent category.

MS.
OVP = Over Voltage Protection

OCP = Over Current Protection

OTP = Over Temperature Protection.

CPS-6003 is the maker's charger model number.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

Thank you for that Professor flecc

Thanks for that flecc, you are a very good well known established Professor. I have always looked up to you since the time you qualified as a First Aider. That just shows you to never judge a cut by its plaster. :)

MS.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers