Is this too heavy?

97alex

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm new to this, I'm sure you get sick of the same questions daily but I can't find much info on what I'm after and hoping you can help.

I have a cheap carrera crossfire 2 and a volimart 1000w rear hub kit, will installing a rear battery on a rack above the wheel make it too heavy on the back? Is it better to have a front wheel hub motor with rear battery rack or will the bike be alright under that weight? Apreciate any advice. Thank you

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't fit a 1000w motor in the forks of a Carrera Crossfire, so you can cross that one off.

Putting a battery large enough to work a 1000w motor on a rack is very dodgy. Most ready-made racks position it too far back. You can get acceptable handling as long as you have most of the battery forward of the axle. For that, you'll probably need to make your own rack.

If you haven't already bought the motor, don't. I'm sure that there will be much better solutions.

97alex

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2021
Are you sure? I converted my brothers carrera vengeance rear wheel with the 1000w volimart kit, I had to file the dropouts but with 2 torque arms it has been fine for 8 weeks without problems so far, what makea the crossfire different? The dropout sizes?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Are you sure? I converted my brothers carrera vengeance rear wheel with the 1000w volimart kit, I had to file the dropouts but with 2 torque arms it has been fine for 8 weeks without problems so far, what makea the crossfire different? The dropout sizes?
My terminology: Forks = front, frame = rear.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My terminology: Forks = front, frame = rear.
I too misread (read too quickly) the first post and vfr400's first response. His point You can't fit a 1000w motor in the forks of a Carrera Crossfire, so you can cross that one off. was specifically in response to Is it better to have a front wheel hub motor, not to the entire post.

I certainly agree with his If you haven't already bought the motor, don't.