It affects the law

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Been reading a lot lately after lurking on this site and keep seeing 'Mopeds' mentioned. I remember them from my youth, small engine and pedals to get the engine started. Haven't seen one for must be close on 40 years. So if they are such a factor in defining 'ebike' law where are they all? In never land? Like to know who sees them 'cause I certainly don't.

Yours Linfitter.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The have morphed into 49cc scooters. There are still a few around on the continent. My eldest son bought a second hand one which he fixed up to go on a road trip last year with his mates. Silly boy rode the whole way back home in 14 1/2 hours to get back to work in time...

They still exist in the tablets of the the law but these days very few have the "ped" bit just the "mo".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Been reading a lot lately after lurking on this site and keep seeing 'Mopeds' mentioned. I remember them from my youth, small engine and pedals to get the engine started. Haven't seen one for must be close on 40 years. So if they are such a factor in defining 'ebike' law where are they all? In never land? Like to know who sees them 'cause I certainly don't.

Yours Linfitter.
The term is now used to describe the limited to 30 mph scooter class, it was the DfT who first did this and it's stuck since, though incorrect of course.

Of course even the old usage of moped was a replacement for the original name for a pedal and engine bike, which was Autocycle. That was used in the 1930s and for a few years post WW2.

Legally the 30 electric mopeds (scooters) are the L1e-B class of vehicle.

The L1e-A class is for 15.5 mph bikes with pedals but with up to 1000 watts allowed.

And legal 250 watt pedelecs are named EAPCs in UK law and EPACs in EU law.

Last edited:

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
The term is now used to describe the limited to 30 mph scooter class, it was the DfT who first did this and it's stuck since, though incorrect of course.

Of course even the old usage of moped was a replacement for the original name for a pedal and engine bike, which was Autocycle. That was used in the 1930s and for a few years post WW2.

Legally the 30 electric mopeds (scooters) are the L1e-B class of vehicle.

The L1e-A class is for 15.5 mph bikes with pedals but with up to 1000 watts allowed.

And legal 250 watt pedelecs are named EAPCs in UK law and EPACs in EU law.
Thank you, haven't seen any of those over here either, though they seem to be a problem in Holland, Good article with many implications not all adopted or to be adopted over here on 'Bicycle Dutch'- 'The Moped menace in the Netherlands'.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you, haven't seen any of those over here either, though they seem to be a problem in Holland, Good article with many implications not all adopted or to be adopted over here on 'Bicycle Dutch'- 'The Moped menace in the Netherlands'.
Yes, I'd heard about that Dutch problem. I think they brought it on themselves by the foolishness of allowing 45 kph mopeds to use cyclepaths. They simply don't mix with bicycle speeds, especially in the Netherlands where cycling speeds are often leisurely.

Advertisers