IT Help Needed!

C

Cyclezee

Is there someone one out there who could help to put a map, Google Earth or similar, on the forum to which members could easily add placemarks using only the first part of their postcode?
This follows on from a thread started yesterday http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1573-where-do-you-live-v2-0-a.html

So far 8 people have provided the first part of their postcode and we are all spread across England from Cornwall to Suffolk and Oxford to North Wales. It only takes a minute and costs nothing, so whay not add yours here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1573-where-do-you-live-v2-0-a.html

John:)

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi John,

Here is one way of doing it.

Anyone with a google account can add their own by typing a post code into the search box and then saving it. It could be embedded into pedelecs.co.uk if Russ saw value in it.

I set this up in 5 minutes and it is just an indication of what can be done, so there may be a better way.

Cheers,

Django

Julian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2008
Somerset, BA3
Hi John,

Here is one way of doing it.

Anyone with a google account can add their own by typing a post code into the search box and then saving it. It could be embedded into pedelecs.co.uk if Russ saw value in it.

I set this up in 5 minutes and it is just an indication of what can be done, so there may be a better way.

Cheers,

Django
I seem toward have managed to add myself in approximately the correct location. I might have added a few more points by mistake, not sure, Google Maps isn't that easy to use on this Nokia N800.

Julian

C

Cyclezee

That's great Struan, people starting to pop up like mushrooms. Obviously we need some sort of permanent link on the forum and remind people only to use the first part of their email address. My place mark is about a mile from my actual address.

John

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi Julian,

I have taken the liberty of deleting the extra points - hope that's ok.

Cheers,

Django

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi John,

The permanent link will be up to Russ if he sees this as worthwhile. Glad to see members adding already - great idea John and Ian!

Cheers,

Django

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I think between us we have got that one sorted unless some one has a better idea.
Now it is up to Russ. In the meantime there is a link in the CHARGING POST to enable instant map viewing Google Maps

John

johnl

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Close to my house

OK, I figured it out. I should have zoomed in a little more, but I did get myself into the right neighborhood, and only a few blocks away from our house. My little green bicycle is headed down the road on the wrong side (left side here) of the street. After I zoomed in on some of the other place marks I discovered that a lot of other people have their icons in the middle of woods or fields.

I think it is a pretty neat idea.