It won't be long now ... will it?

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
The bike shed is spotless ... I've swept it out a dozen times. The slow boat bringing my Wisper from China is due to dock at an unknown UK port any day now. It might even be here! At any time the phone could ring and Matt Widgery would say "It's arrived ... I've done the PDI ... when do you want to collect?" I would probably be in Cambridge before Matt has put the phone down!
I've never had an e-bike before. I know that I will soon be relying on electricity to charge a battery to ensure I have ... the power! I lost sleep about this a week or two ago ... we have power cuts! Next morning I bought a stand-by generator (Honda EU65is). The electrician installed the Power Transfer Switch only 2 days ago. We have everything covered ... or have we?
I am collecting the bike using my small estate car. Will the Wisper fit in? I e-mail'd an expert who replied that the max length of the 905sel is 73" or 155cm. Armed with a measuring stick, I measured the back of my car will back seats folded down - damn! The space available is only 70" ... measured again using my 'new money' measuring stick and eureka! the space is 178cm ...
So which version of the Wisper 905sel is coming from China ... the long or the short version? You won't be surprised to learn that I haven't left anything to chance ... my car is booked in for a towbar fitting on Wednesday ... and TNT are delivering a Thule EuroPower 2 bike tow bar carrier no. 916 on Monday! Of course, if the short bike arrives, I'll have wasted about £500 ... no matter, I'll recover the costs very quickly with the savings in fuel ... unless I have to run the generator a lot! (and there will be more room in the bike shed)

It's like waiting for Christmas ... hope Santa got my letter asking for the long bike!

Best Wishes to All

Davanti

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well.....I am certainly in awe of your organisational skills davanti (quite apart from envying your

seemingly bottomless wallet ) LOL

...........I hope to god it comes soon before you find

something else you 'need' to spend more money on :D :D

Have fun :)

Lynda :)

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Have you arranged a welcoming party pack for the bike? Nicely wrapped pannier bags (packed with tyre levers, puncture repair outfits, rain wear, cycle lock or locks, lubricants, full tool kit - and the on-bike cameras (front & rear), computer, mirrors, polish, dusters, toe-clips, water bottles, wicker handlebar basket ... what else have I missed? Hope the shed is a large one! But why a shed? My first bike slept, like a faithful retainer, at the foot of my bed. I was at least 6 years old at the time ...
Enjoy! May the e-wind be ever at your back.
Lookinig forward to your ride reports,
Tom
:)

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Have you arranged a welcoming party pack for the bike? Nicely wrapped pannier bags (packed with tyre levers, puncture repair outfits, rain wear, cycle lock or locks, lubricants, full tool kit - and the on-bike cameras (front & rear), computer, mirrors, polish, dusters, toe-clips, water bottles, wicker handlebar basket ... what else have I missed? Hope the shed is a large one! But why a shed? My first bike slept, like a faithful retainer, at the foot of my bed. I was at least 6 years old at the time ...
Enjoy! May the e-wind be ever at your back.
Lookinig forward to your ride reports,
Tom
:)
Thanks Lynda ... Tom

Yes, got most of those bits! BUT ... a wicker handlebar basket? Do you think I'm made of money! :rolleyes:

I'll be reporting on how my wife likes living in the shed in a few weeks.

Cheers

Don

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I'll be reporting on how my wife likes living in the shed in a few weeks.

Cheers

Don
ROFLOL.............cant wait......watch she doesnt break your legs......that would be a disaster !! :D

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Do I take it that you've sold the house to pay for all this and now live in the shed:confused:
OK. I admit it ... I've sold the house.

Not mine though ... my Mum isn't too pleased!!:(

neither is my wife; Mum might be coming to live with us! :rolleyes:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
OK. I admit it ... I've sold the house.

Not mine though ... my Mum isn't too pleased!!

neither is my wife; Mum might be coming to live with us! :rolleyes:

Wow.....you certainly seem to be intent on starting your e-bike riding new life with a bang.......do you

have some sort of 'death wish' or do you just love living dangerously..... ROFLOL :D :D

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
So, if your in-laws came to live with you as well you wouldn't need an e-bike.......................but maybe a bigger shed!!!!

I suggest you keep everybody where they are and that gives you a good excuse to buy this expensive e-bike.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
....I am collecting the bike using my small estate car. Will the Wisper fit in? I e-mail'd an expert who replied that the max length of the 905sel is 73" or 155cm. Armed with a measuring stick, I measured the back of my car will back seats folded down - damn! The space available is only 70" ... measured again using my 'new money' measuring stick and eureka! the space is 178cm ...
Davanti,

I often carry bikes in my own estate car, a Ford Focus.

Before placing the machine into the car, remove the left-hand pedal. This will allow the machine to lay flat on its left-hand side. Laying the machine on its right-hand side may bend the deraileur cage guard.

With the back mudguard snugged up against the back of the front passenger seat, you still wont be able to shut the tailgate, therefore, turn the handlebars to the right so that the front wheel is pointing up towards the roof. This will also protect the brake levers from damage. You should then be able to shut the tailgate.

The Wisper SEL has a full length front mudguard, so take a wooden wedge with you and push this up between the tyre and lower inside edge of the mudguard where it touches the floor. This will stop the mudguard stays from bending, and act as a brake to further stabilise the machine while travelling.

I have driven many miles with machines carried in this way without any problems, and it's so much easier than removing the front wheel.

Have fun with your new Wisper
Regards
Bob

PS. When transporting your machine to another area in this way, don't forget to take the pedal spanner with you!! :eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Bob.....that sounds easy......could you tell me how I could similarly get my Tonaro Esprit into the back of my Mercedes estate because the thought of removing the wheel.....even though its apparently 'easy release'.... has put me off trying to get it in the back of the car.

You might save me the expense of either buying a folder or a towbar and carrier.....in which case i would owe you a pint (or two ) :D

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
So, if your in-laws came to live with you as well you wouldn't need an e-bike.......................but maybe a bigger shed!!!!

I suggest you keep everybody where they are and that gives you a good excuse to buy this expensive e-bike.
:cool:Brilliant suggestion! Thank you. Err ... what should I do about the dog?
Oh! Of course ... that is what the handlebar wicker basket is for!

Thanks ... job done!

Don

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Davanti,

PS. When transporting your machine to another area in this way, don't forget to take the pedal spanner with you!! :eek:
Thanks Bob

Really useful stuff here. I'm committed now to the tow-bar and carrier route for the small estate; but if I ever need to transport bike by my Mercedes, I'll definitely use this info and advice. Thanks again.

Do I need to add a pedal spanner to my shopping list?

Don

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Bob.....that sounds easy......could you tell me how I could similarly get my Tonaro Esprit into the back of my Mercedes estate because the thought of removing the wheel.....even though its apparently 'easy release'.... has put me off trying to get it in the back of the car.

You might save me the expense of either buying a folder or a towbar and carrier.....in which case i would owe you a pint (or two ) :D

Lynda, In exactly the same way as described above, it's how I carry my BigHit and other, longer, machines fully assembled.

The Esprit has a full front mudguard, so a wedge will need to be placed between the mudguard and tyre, just where the stay is fixed to the mudguard blade. With the left-hand pedal removed, lay the machine on its left-hand side, the back wheel up against the back of the passenger seat. Turn the handlebars 90 degrees to the right so that the back edge of the front wheel, and the ends of the handlebars are resting on the floor pan. The front wheel will then be pointing upwards toward the car roof. Put the wedge between the tyre and mudguard to stop the mudguard stay from bending.

Tomorrow, I am collecting a machine which requires extensive refurbishment. I'll take a photo of the machine in the car and post it on here so that you can see what I'm rabbiting on about. :rolleyes:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Excellent Bob, thankyou :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Do I need to add a pedal spanner to my shopping list?

Don
Oh.......go ON then Don....buy it..... you know you want to..........why spoil the ship (bike) for a hap'orth of tar :D

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Yes, It's best to check the tightness of the pedals after a few miles on a new bike. Remember, the left-hand pedal has a left-hand thread, turn anti- clockwise to tighten. The right hand pedal is normal, clockwise to tighten.

THIS WILL DO NICELY
Thanks for this Blew it ... just bought one! LH pedal - LH thread ! Everyday is a school day!

Enjoy the moment ...

Don

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Oh.......go ON then Don....buy it..... you know you want to..........why spoil the ship (bike) for a hap'orth of tar :D

Lynda ... that particular piece of tar cost me £12.49 !

Anything else whilst I have my wife's credit card in my hand?

Don

Advertisers