Help! I've fried my rare Mobiky Youri 16...

spree

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 1, 2021
Ironically, I was on my way to get my eyes tested when I noticed my speed controller wire had come out of the connector and then proceeded to accidentally plug it in the wrong way as I couldn't really see properly... plus the damn connector allowed me to do it!

Some wheelspinning and electrical smell later it will now turn on but will not engage the motor....

I've looked for spare parts for this thing but haven't managed to find anything yet and I'm presuming it will be easier to just replace everything bar the motor, battery and maybe the pedla assist sensor that at this stage but am open to any and all suggestions to get this thing up and running again!

I have had a look at the speed controller and have attached the images...

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will best to buy a new controller with a display as a pair, either choose a speed controller like a Brainwave brand which are fairly cheap and basic or opt for a nicer Kuenteng KT controlelr kit cost about £100, it is likely the 5v line may be fried as well meaning you will be better as well to buy a new PAS sensor with the controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What does the motor cable connector look like ?

spree

Jan 1, 2021
After doing a bit of research I'm thinking that my motor must not have a hall sensor with only three output wires so if i want to use those better KT kits I would need to change the 16" front wheel with the motor...?

Any advice on this..?! Finding info on these Mobiky bikes is daunting. Will any 16" ebike wheel fit?

Sorry if I'm a bit rusty with all things bike at the moment!

I just saw a kit for sale that has that same connector on the motor so it looks to me like it's not a proprietary Mobiky connector so that must be good news..!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those three pin Julet type connectors are old hat, one doesn't see many today unless the bike is some 10 years old.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kt controllers can run without halls if the display has the the L settings where one can change the parameter via the screen. L3 0 will activate non hall mode.

As to your motor connector I would disconnnect / cut the wires at the controller end and then solder them to anew controller so that one keeps the motor connection.

LCD8H & 8S displays utilise L settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: spree

spree

Jan 1, 2021
Kt controllers can run without halls if the display has the the L settings where one can change the parameter via the screen. L3 0 will activate non hall mode.

As to your motor connector I would disconnnect / cut the wires at the controller end and then solder them to anew controller so that one keeps the motor connection.

LCD8H & 8S displays utilise L settings.
Thank you!

It will be great to keep the motor as it's very quiet and looks nice when cleaned up.

I'm looking at kits with that display now on AliExpress. Looks like I could get it all for not much more than £100 so that would be a result.

You can expect many more questions though I'm sure... Sorry...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Approx. £100 is right for KT & display + may be a new PAS as well.

Afaiaw the other kt lcd's don't offer the L settings , the lcd3, 4 & 5 don't nor do I think the 9,10 or 11.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know your controller type but one expects it may be speed controlled.
The KT uses current control as default which allows the user to choose how much power to use, where as the speed controllers usually just give max power until the set speed is reached.
The KT delivers power as a % of the current so pas1 - pas 5 is 13, 20, 33, 50 & 100 %.

spree

Jan 1, 2021

Attachments

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What PAS sensor from that list do you think would be best for my bike?

It's on the right hand side and looks pretty small...
Your existing sensor should work if you connect it in the right sequence. If you get a replacement, get any that don't have 12 magnets or the cheapest one.

Last edited:

spree

Jan 1, 2021
Your existing sensor should work if you connect it in the right sequence. If you get a replacement, get any that don't have 12 magnets or the cheapest one.
Thank you. I think I will buy the lot anyway as a backup in case any don't work or I can't work out how to wire them!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you. I think I will buy the lot anyway as a backup in case any don't work or I can't work out how to wire them!
Good idea if you can afford it. You'll definitely need a speed sensor as well because your motor doesn't have one to show the speed on the LCD.