Just an new Guy

cwc

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2020
Hi I'm new to E Bikes and cycling just got my 1st bike a Hiabike trekking 1. I'm in my 60's and have COPD so it all is very hard at the moment, so just taking it slow.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone with COPD on how they are getting on riding
Thanks David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You may or may not get on very well with the Torque sensing PAS as it relies on the rider to exert effort for the power multiplying to work. In general those with COPD or severe lung issues a cadence/simple rotation pedal sensor and an added throttle is better, though these invariably mean a hub motor bike.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
In general the advice given by Nealh is spot on.
In my case, I had a Giant MTB and a road bike, then diagnosed with COPD and with it came a lack of lung capacity and weak leg muscles. I kept the road bike to use on a turbo-trainer and sold the MTB.
I tested a few ebikes at Rutland Water and coped with them quite well so bought a Giant Full E+ 1, which was great and I managed some steep hills reasonably well.
A couple of years later caught an infection and the lung capacity went to 30%, so sold the Giant, and bought an Oxygen (the model before the current version) which has throttle, which these days is essential for me.
My local routes are in the Wharfe Valley and hills below Harrogate and the bike copes really well - as for me, well lungs at 61% and fitness is good by using turbo trainer and a treadmill when weather is bad.