Just been shopping! Cube Reaction Race 500

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One device is inaccurate, but it's not a valid assumption to say it's the Purion.

You were doing lots of hills, as I understand it Garmins largely measure 'on the flat' which can affect the speed and mileage recorded.

The Purion is measuring wheel revolutions, so is relying on having the correct tyre circumference.

That can be changed in the menu settings of my Intuvia, probably the same for your Purion.

You could try accurately measuring the circumference of the tyre, and use that value.

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
On my rides mainly on the flat my purion display shows a discrepancy of being 1.5mph faster than the Garmin edge 1000, I have a speed sensor for the Garmin that i am going to try and see what difference that makes

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
there's no guarantee the garmin was accurate although i did the comparison in the wide open on the flat keeping a steady speed for a little while. i also have a tom tom watch which validated the garmin.
it looks like the circumference can't be user amended on the purion so i'll see if the dealer can make the change.
i'm only bothered as i want to get the most out of the legal limit. 1.5mph is significant on a 12 mile commute.

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
I've noticed the same thing as well with mine, but with distance tracking mainly. The Purion tracks my commute as just over 22 miles, but Strava generally sees about 20.5 miles.

The bike shop said it's partly because I'm running 1.5" tyres, instead of the supplied 2.15" ones, but that only makes 5% change to the outside circumference. I'd need to fit 2.75” tyres to get the Purion speed correct.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
36 miles with 5000ft of climbing is pretty good.

I tend to switch to the lowest boost level as soon as I can, thus extending the distance I can go, it's easy to keep it turned up and storm up the hills. You will get better at eking out the battery.

But thats pretty good going :D

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
yeah not bad going. i wouldn't say i was disappointed with that range.
i got a hell of an upper body workout pushing it up unrideable terrain.
although not ultra fit i like to think i have good stamina. i did the coast 2 coast in 1 day just a few years ago. (unpowered obvs).

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Agreed Michael... had to push mine up a few crazy slopes, not as light as my other bikes.... but more fun. Wait till you have to climb an 8 foot Deer fence with it :oops:IMG_20170909_142112929.jpg

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
1 thing i noticed when comparing my garmin edge gps speed with the purion display is that the purion is reading 1.5mph too fast. thus affecting the real life cut off speed. anyone else noticed this? can it be corrected? a question for the dealer on the first service maybe.
I've noticed the same although mine doesn't cut out until 16.8 mph displayed so it's a wash.

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
I've noticed the same although mine doesn't cut out until 16.8 mph displayed so it's a wash.
mine also doesn't cut out until around the displayed speed of 16.8
but i'm assuming this a soft cut
off from 15.5mph rather than a hard end at 16.8 so i'd rather have it accurate. to back that up the displayed speed can be the only speed it knows about.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I've just accepted that the devices i have used over the last 8 years record not just speed, but miles and altitude slightly differently i.e. iPhone, garmin, strava, android and bosch. Unless i'm really sad about it, and want a high end device to record accurately i really wouldn't worry. I fitted a bike speed rs dongle and don't give a £@!^ about the 15.5mph accuracy.

Just ride the bike and enjoy it!

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
long delayed update.
finally took my bike in for its complimentary service. i mentioned the speed discrepancy and also asked if with payment they'd be willing to take the spacer out of the judy fork to extend the travel to 120mm.
both done and very happy .
the speedo matches my garmin just about perfectly after settling. i've yet to commute since this correction but i expect it to make a just about noticeable difference.
the forks look a lot more capable now as well.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I've been commuting on mine since I bought it in October 2017. I have to ride up very steep hills on the way home from work, sometimes at 3am in the morning. My Cube makes this easy, but since starting my commutes I've reduced the assistance level when riding up these steep hills from Turbo down to Tour. On occasion, and for a bit of hard exercise, I sometimes drop it to Eco for as long as i can manage, before having to move it back up to Tour again.

Ive dropped the bike a couple of times and so yesterday I had to reset the rear mech as the chain and gears were completely out, giving that horrible grating noise and not changing gear properly. Its now back to normal :)

I do intend to fit a Badass dongle as I'm still finding the 15mph cut off speed to be frustrating.

This is my daily ride home from work (from left to right)..

Related Articles

Advertisers