Just been shopping! Cube Reaction Race 500

michael1971

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
Well i bit the bullet and bought the race. in red. same as @Ballynoes
it's certainly bright. i like the substantial bash guard protecting the motor.
will probably pick it up next week now. looking forward to it.

Reactions: Ballynoes

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Congratulations. You did well finding somewhere with the red in stock. Cube reps and local bike shops were quoting me an availability time of February 2018 for the red model.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
How is everyone managing to mount their water bottle cage? The bottom mounting hole is fine on mine, but the top seems to be a solid fitting with no thread?! I thought it may just be full of paint, but it's not - there's metal underneath the paint??!

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Interesting.

I use a hydration pack, which also holds all my other stuff (don't ask :oops: ) so I never use the bottle mounting holes, I did however want to put the screws into them as they will let water into the seat tube, which I want to avoid.

I will check mine tonight and report back. But I am pretty sure it is definitely for mounting a bottle cage so they should both be threaded.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
How is everyone managing to mount their water bottle cage? The bottom mounting hole is fine on mine, but the top seems to be a solid fitting with no thread?! I thought it may just be full of paint, but it's not - there's metal underneath the paint??!
Just picked up my Cube Race 500 this afternoon. Both holes are threaded, and is where I have fitted my Abus Granite folding lock.

The bike didn't come with the bolts, I had to use some from my other bike. The thread does seem to be set back from the entrance to the hole, so the bolts would need to be sufficiently long enough to pass through the item your bolting to your bike, and still be long enough to reach the thread.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cheers for replies. I've had another look now, and realised that what I was scratching away on, thinking it was a blob of paint in the thread, was actually my seatpost! Lifting the saddle up, there is just a hole now, definitely no thread - the bolt just goes straight though the hole!

What's happened, has my seatpost somehow sheared off a threaded insert??

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
See if your bike shop will swap the frame?

Or bond the bolt into the hole with some resin bonding agent?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Just took the seatpost and saddle right out and looked down the tube and the insert has been snapped off by the seatpost! The saddle wasn't even on the lowest mark tho?! Will speak to bike shop tomorrow, but is this a normal thing to happen?

PS, bike was purchased fully assembled.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Just checked mine and the two threaded nuts on the inside are still there thankfully. I did struggle to put bolts in and had to clean the threads with a tap and die set, but now all ok. As I said I just wanted to "plug" the holes to stop water from entering, as it goes right down to the top of the motor.

I have since noticed if you remove the battery, the plastic liner behind it allows water to run down the inside of the downtube.

Does anyone know if this runs onto the top of the motor or if it's sealed, as this will determines how vigorously I wash it?

IMG_20171009_175524153.jpg

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Now there's a few of us with the same bike, did anyone's come with the quick release front axle as on the spec sheet? Mine didn't! Planning to go back to the shop to see if they can get one.
No quick release front axle on mine either :(, Shame, as mines a 23" frame and even fitting it into the back of my Land Rover Defender is a struggle with the height of the handlebars. Might have to get a quick release.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0657.JPG
No quick release front axle on mine either :(, Shame, as mines a 23" frame and even fitting it into the back of my Land Rover Defender is a struggle with the height of the handlebars. Might have to get a quick release.
it has a axle for a reason ie more strength i changed both of my qr axles as look like warts lol and to easy to nick my 500 quid wheels not that i ever leave it anywhere.

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
Picked mine up last Friday but it's either rained or i've been at work ever since. i did manage 10 miles round the doors last Sat morning. it made technical climbs ridiculously easy. not managed to commute on it yet maybe tomorrow.
mine is the 17" and didn't come with any holes at all for a bottle cage. not much room but i did manage to fit a rubber gripper bottle mount with a side opening cage. yet to be tested filled and ridden.

question for other race owners.
what's the little hole for just above the frame charging port? it has a little rubber grommet. see picture.

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like a hole to turn the batt on and off.

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
yep. without going back in the garage to check i would say you're right. i suppose it's to be used if the display locks up and you haven't got your keys to remove it.

michael1971

Sep 27, 2017
Sunderland
The hole lines up with the battery level indicator button.
yep. that's what it seems to be for.

took the cube out for its first proper mountain bike ride a few days ago. i did an extended version of the ullswater lakeshore loop taking in lots of severe climbs including a mad ascent from patterdale to boredale hause. 36 miles. 5000ft of climbing. completely drained the battery 5 miles from the end. fortunately with the biggest climbs out the way. hugely impressed with the climbing ability but need to be economical with the battery. still very rideable on slight hills with no battery.
1 thing i noticed when comparing my garmin edge gps speed with the purion display is that the purion is reading 1.5mph too fast. thus affecting the real life cut off speed. anyone else noticed this? can it be corrected? a question for the dealer on the first service maybe.

Attachments

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
yep. that's what it seems to be for.

took the cube out for its first proper mountain bike ride a few days ago. i did an extended version of the ullswater lakeshore loop taking in lots of severe climbs including a mad ascent from patterdale to boredale hause. 36 miles. 5000ft of climbing. completely drained the battery 5 miles from the end. fortunately with the biggest climbs out the way. hugely impressed with the climbing ability but need to be economical with the battery. still very rideable on slight hills with no battery.
1 thing i noticed when comparing my garmin edge gps speed with the purion display is that the purion is reading 1.5mph too fast. thus affecting the real life cut off speed. anyone else noticed this? can it be corrected? a question for the dealer on the first service maybe.
Not to worry, i don't think this is an issue. I noticed the difference speed between my garmin edge 820, iPhone, nyon and purion. I think it's all do do with satellites and how often the device syncs.

Related Articles

Advertisers