Just ordered a 750w BBS02, my first electric bike !

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
It's the spacer so that you can butt the throttle up against something without it sticking open.

Cool, thanks, my throttle is a millimeter away from the brake, so i dont need it then.

Looks like i need a bigger better battery charger, second battery is on charge and its going to take 40 mins more, then another hour for the third battery and i'll be off :)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I started with a 10ah headway battery and 2a charger so 5 hours to charge.
Next came a pair of 16ah Multistars with a 6a balance charger so that was 9 hours to charge,getting a second charger halved that time.
Next was another pair of Multistars in parallel so time to start bulk charging,I bought a Meanwell NES350-48 which takes 4 hours to fully charge all 32ah.
Latest development is yet another pair so currently 6 hours but that gets me 48ah,good for at least 120 miles:)
Of course I dont use all 6 very often but its nice to ride over the Yorkshire moors knowing that whatever happens I wont run out of juice.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
No test ride today :( one of the cells in one of the batteries wont charge above 3.99v whilst all the other cells are at exactly 4.2v, so its on a storage discharge tonight to equalise the cells in the battery and i will put it back on charge at 8am tomorrow morning so hopefully ready for 10am test ride

Thanks for everyones help today on the install with the few questions i had

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Is that a new cell thats not charging?

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Yes, a brand new multistar 4s 8000mah pack, I ordered 4 of them and only 1 pack has a dodgy cell in it, the rest are fine

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Just has my first ride at last !! :) it leaves you grinning like a cheshire cat when you get back !, rode 3.5 miles up and down hills round my village with a bit of off roading thrown in too, and just climbed a hill that i've never been able to climb before as it was too steep and too loose, but with motor assist level 5, it climbed it slowly and steadily and i barely raised a sweat on the wholde ride too, I tried it all the way up to assist level 8 and on a downhill with a little pedaling it reached 48km/h

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Its properly addictive, this electric bike thing !, I'm now thinking that i need a new bike to transfer my BBS02 onto, my wife wants my Carrera Hellcat if i do get a new bike and i'm starting to search ebay for a doner bike.

I want full suspension, and the BBS02 must fit onto it, I need an XL frame size (21-22" or 53-56cm) as i'm nearly 6'3" and weigh in at 95 kilos, I'm really liking the look of the specialized camber range of bikes, but the frame design doesnt lend itself to a crank drive, whats everyones opinion on the ultimate mountain bike for a BBS02 crank drive ?,maybe a downhill bike would be good ?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
one of the cells in one of the batteries wont charge above 3.99v whilst all the other cells are at exactly 4.2v, so its on a storage discharge tonight to equalise the cells in the battery
Did you mange to bring life back into the dodgy cell?

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Did you mange to bring life back into the dodgy cell?
Yes it worked in the end, it spent 5 hours on a lipo balancer, then i discharged it to storage voltage, then recharged it to 4.2v per cell, then discharged it back to storage and its stayed matched, so i think it will be ok

Reactions: trex

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I'm really liking the look of the Camber, although a slightly onlder stumpjumper full sus with the straight downtube would give me a better motor position, but if i find a camber in xl frame size at the right price, i will go for it.

I've just lined up a 240w charger and a bms from BMS battery in my cart, came to £40 in total, but them i went to the checkout and they want another £28 for shipping :O is this right ?, I'm used to banggood free postage or hobbykings £6-8 shipping for similar sized and priced orders, so £28 is looking rather steep for me !

D

Deleted member 4366

Where else can you get a 240w charger and a BMS for £68? Would you have been happier if they had told you that those two items were £68 and the shipping was free?

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Where else can you get a 240w charger and a BMS for £68? Would you have been happier if they had told you that those two items were £68 and the shipping was free?
I think i would have been !!, I was waiting to see what anyone else on here that has experience ordering from them said, and if the £28 fee was normal, then i was just going to order it this afternoon

D

Deleted member 4366

Shipping cost is roughly 1/3 of the total, or half the cost of the goods.

CroydonTed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
I've just lined up a 240w charger and a bms from BMS battery in my cart, came to £40 in total, but them i went to the checkout and they want another £28 for shipping :O is this right ?, I'm used to banggood free postage or hobbykings £6-8 shipping for similar sized and priced orders, so £28 is looking rather steep for me !
Hi - I have just purchased 2 x Multistar High Capacity 6S 16000mAh for my electric bike and I need to charge them as fast as possible and make sure they are balanced - what charger did you get? Sorry I'm a noob to this stuff!

Thanks

Ted

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I havent fitted the BMS yet, but i'm at work so will post the link later, I eventually went for 2x 6s 8000mah and 4 x 4s 8000mah which ends up connected up as a 14s 16,000mah battery bank, the two extra cells over the 12s setup really do make quite a bit of difference to the speed and acceleration of the whole setup

I currently connect the 4 x 4s 8000mah to a parallel board which connects to a GT power A8 charger at 7a output, then i charge the 2 x 6s 8000mah batteries afterwards

CroydonTed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
I havent fitted the BMS yet, but i'm at work so will post the link later, I eventually went for 2x 6s 8000mah and 4 x 4s 8000mah which ends up connected up as a 14s 16,000mah battery bank, the two extra cells over the 12s setup really do make quite a bit of difference to the speed and acceleration of the whole setup

I currently connect the 4 x 4s 8000mah to a parallel board which connects to a GT power A8 charger at 7a output, then i charge the 2 x 6s 8000mah batteries afterwards

Sounds complicated!! How long do they take to charge?

Also what power supply do you use to run it?

Sorry for all the questions I just haven't got a clue and also don't want to mess up my batteries!!

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
"the two extra cells over the 12s setup really do make quite a bit of difference to the speed and acceleration of the whole setup"

I'm not surprised, that's over 1400 watts of power at 25amps. I've got a 12S pack and am very careful not to put too much power through the transmission.
With 14S something is going to break unless you're very very careful.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Sounds complicated!! How long do they take to charge?

Also what power supply do you use to run it?

Sorry for all the questions I just haven't got a clue and also don't want to mess up my batteries!!
Please Ted for the love of god, get as much advice as possible before charging, discharging, handling and storing those Multistar High Capacity 6S 16000mAh batteries.

I'm sure someone will come along soon to warn you how quickly they could bite you in the arse if you don't follow the correct procedures.

No forum member has gone up in a fireball yet, but there's always a first :eek:

Last edited:

Advertisers