Just plain NiMh battery packs

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
I have searched the forum to see if this has been asked before, but I cant find it. Heres my query:

Can you buy just plain NiMh battery packs in either shrink-wrap or plain non-specific battery cases?

The reason I ask is that I have an ordinary MTB with a 24v hub kit. The Li-ion battery that came supplied with the kit was (in my opinion) not performing correctly (now returned to supplier for testing).

The battery was only connected to the controller with two wires with bullet connectors and could be carried in a rack bag, pannier or fixed to the frame with the clamp supplied. So it seems that any 24v pack whether SLA, Li-ion, NiMh etc could be used for power. Unlike ready made e-bikes with "cartridge type" batteries which are designed to fit somewhere in the frame with electrical connections to slide into, hub kits like mine can use virtually any pack with just a minor adaptation to the electrical connections to the controller. But I cant find just plain packs!

I followed 'Allotmenteer' and bought the Windsor 24v NiMh pack from Powabyke. I had to make a slight adaptation to the connections and the pack performs faultlessly. I am not quibbling about its cost (£99), but I wondered if part of this cost was for its casing, warning level lights, on/off key and new lock cylinder (which real Powabyke users would need).

In a nutshell: Is there a market for just plain NiMh battery packs (24 + 36v) for those just want to carry/use them in rack bags, panniers etc - and if so, is there a supplier?

Richard (aways wanting to save a penny where possible:rolleyes: )

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
There are suppliers of induvidual cells and I have seen links on this forum to suppliers of made up packs, though not necessarily designed for bike use. However none of these come close to the excellent value of the £99 Powacycle pack which is less than £5 per cell. This is even more true now that many suppliers have increased prices in response to the current world nickel shortage.

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
However none of these come close to the excellent value of the £99 Powacycle pack which is less than £5 per cell. This is even more true now that many suppliers have increased prices in response to the current world nickel shortage.

Whoops!, sorry I asked now. Perhaps this thread should be deleted before Powabyke puts its prices up !

Seriously though, I had only wondered about this as I had read (cant find it now:( ) a message from Andrewelectricbiker? where he had sent an old battery pack which I assumed was the 'cartridge type' to be refurbished with new cells to a company called 'Cell Pack Solutions'. I dont think he said how much this cost but I assume that it must have been less than a direct manufacturers replacement or he wouldnt have done it.

Still, as I said before, I'm not quibbling about the price I paid - it performs very well and I'm very happy with it at £99 (its just that I'm a tight ol' git)

Richard.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
There is this thread Richard, where member pgbw had been quoted £280 for re-celling an Ezee 36v battery by two companies.

Hopefully the Nickel crisis will be resolved and prices should drop to a more realistic level, however to their credit Powacycle have maintained the price constant while some other suppliers have virtually doubled theirs.

It's interesting that you have had problems with a Li-ion battery, a number of other forum members have expressed dissatisfaction with Li-ion types. I came to the conclusion a while ago that NiMh was more suitable in this application, a view which is continually being reinforced by the experiences of others.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
My ears are burning.. This is why I was moaning about having the battery FAQ section where we could share battery info.

Eddie at cellpack solutions makes up ebike batteries. He also refurbs cassette type packs. I am not sure whether they can source NiMh at the best price though. Try Ebikes.ca store whose packs are competitive due to favourable rates at the moment. Try the other forums below who are more geared to homegrown kits rather than uk pedelec retail bikes.
Andrew

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
The big problem is that if you want to throttle commute a fair distance then the average ebike pack only gives max 10 months worth of 2 a day charges.

How is that for a contentious claim?

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The big problem is that if you want to throttle commute a fair distance then the average ebike pack only gives max 10 months worth of 2 a day charges.

How is that for a contentious claim?
I don't think that's contentious Andrew, it's more or less in line with the 500 charge/discharge cycle life that most suppliers claim.

More moderate users can expect rather longer lives from NiMh though, my oldest (>1 year) and newest (3 months) batteries have identical performance and range. That doesn't necessarily apply to lithium types though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I first published the availability of the Powacycle battery on my Twist site, the cost was only two thirds that of Cellpack solutions recelling service, and as Ian has said, by far the cheapest source 24 volt for cellpacks or batteries.

However, Cellpack weren't up to recelling the Giant batteries, finding they couldn't successfully do it, goodness knows why not, it's easy enough if they'd followed what I said. Many owners have since done it ok.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
My ears are burning.. This is why I was moaning about having the battery FAQ section where we could share battery info.
Andrew and all,

I've modified the Battery FAQ forum permission to allow posting of new threads so you can now start and reply to specific battery topics. We'll see how it goes for a while.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Re: NiMh battery life, much depends on the battery and charger design and quality.

For the best part of four years I used a twist for everything, utility cycling, trailer towing etc, and in daily use often seven days a week.

Coming up to four years old I recelled one battery just to return the range to a full distance, it otherwise still performing ok. The second four year old battery not recelled I've passed on to Alan Terrill who is using it as a "get-home" back up and it's still working ok.

In small part this long life is due to the quality Panasonic cells, but the most important factor was the excellent Metco charger with it's regularly used "refresh" discharge facility. The Metco charger I bought when the Panasonic one Giant supplied failed very early, it being Giant's temporary stopgap charger.

The biggest failing of the NiMh chargers supplied with many e-bikes is the lack of a discharge facility, this being essential for a long NiMh life.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
When I first published the availability of the Powacycle battery on my Twist site, the cost was only two thirds that of Cellpack solutions recelling service, and as Ian has said, by far the cheapest source 24 volt for cellpacks or batteries.

However, Cellpack weren't up to recelling the Giant batteries, finding they couldn't successfully do it, goodness knows why not, it's easy enough if they'd followed what I said. Many owners have since done it ok.
They might be turning in a different direction now. Last year they re celled my 36v NiMh for around £4 a cell. I want more capacity now because I am running on lazy throttle over hills to work and back:D . Powacycle don`t seem to offer a 36v NiMh replacement pack.. which would suit me fine.

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
The biggest failing of the NiMh chargers supplied with many e-bikes is the lack of a discharge facility, this being essential for a long NiMh life.
Hi Flecc,

As I have only had the Windsor NiMh pack and charger for a week I would obviously like to keep the battery in its best condition. I understand what you are all saying about fully discharging the battery.

I use the bike purely for leisure (retired). I often use it just for 4-5 miles a day just to get out of the house. I think I am getting about 15 miles of good power from the battery before it feels like it is not giving the same assistance (throttle 'low' light comes on when throttled hard). I am pretty sure I have just had 15.8 miles since my last charge and the battery now reads 24.2v on my meter.

As there is probably not much assistance left in it - should I recharge it now, I have not got a "refresh" facility so would I be better off "hooking up" the back wheel off the ground and taping up the trottle until battery is empty.
The only other option would be to continue to use the bike until battery was exhausted, but that would probably be when I was a distance from home and I would end up pushing it back....then I would be exhausted. (I must try and remember to put a postit note or something on the battery with a note of mileage at last charge) - I would try and use the bike until it was totally flat but my wife would not be too chuffed with my "Can you come and pick me up please?"

Richard

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Richard. That 15 miles on the Windsor is quite close to a full discharge so is the next best thing, and I sometimes accept similar on my eZee NiMh battery.

That's the important thing, if not a full discharge, close to it. The worst thing is to charge every few miles with light use and never fully discharge, a sure way to short life.

Holding the motor wheel off the ground and running it won't help, the consumption is vanishingly small if the motor isn't under load. I once turned my Torq upside down and set the throttle to full on with a half charged battery. Eight hours later it was still running just as fast, so I think you might need to go on holiday to be sure of running it down that way!

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Holding the motor wheel off the ground and running it won't help, the consumption is vanishingly small if the motor isn't under load. I once turned my Torq upside down and set the throttle to full on with a half charged battery. Eight hours later it was still running just as fast, so I think you might need to go on holiday to be sure of running it down that way!
:D
You could just ride up and down a local hill a few times to get the last few out
Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:D
You could just ride up and down a local hill a few times to get the last few out
Andrew
That's what I do Andrew, and am lucky (?) enough to live up a 1 in 7, but on the day it question it was bucketing down and the hill was doing it's Niagara Falls impression again. :(

urstu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2007
hi considering the high cost of replacement batteries and sometimes the short life,is it not time that 50 cycles had more faith in there products, not just this supplier but others as well and offer a better guaratee.Ezee in the States give a 12 month guarantee on batteries we get 6, Sparta and others now offer a 2 yr guarantee on there batteries.

FatPete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2007
London
Batteries are like people, give them a light workload and they live a long and healthy life. Work them into the ground and R.I.P. Always buy batteries larger than you think you need. Oh! and NiMh do not need to be drained, infact it shortens their useful life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Urstu, that guarantee situation has been the same fior years on many products. For example many Sony products in the USA have much longer warranties than here in the UK. It's a case of what they can get away with, and consumer power in the USA is stronger.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh! and NiMh do not need to be drained, infact it shortens their useful life.
Very bad advice FatPete. NiMh still have a residual of the memory effect that plagued NiCads, and a cell that is never properly discharged to just over 1 volt has it's life shortened.

I think you may be mixed up between completely emptying the cells, which certainly damages them, and emptying them on the bike or discharging them through a properly designed discharging circuit that drains them to just over 1 volt. Either of the latter intermittently is essential for long life, and experience with our bike batteries shows that very clearly. You won't find a battery authority or manufacturer anywhere who supports never discharging them.

Advertisers