Just received a penalty charge notice from London Transport

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wow!
what a surprise as I have never driven in London!
The Charge is for failing to comply with a prohibition on certain types of vehicles.
They have used my reg number to find my address and sent me a nice photo of my Audi but it has turned into a large Truck and where my reg number ends in UJ, this ends in JU.
How can such a mistake possibly be made? At first I was amused but I have read of people being perused over simple mistakes like this...
Cant do anything till Monday, and still not sure how to proceed with it.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Few years ago I got a speeding ticket in London even though I hadn't been there in years . Didn't take much sorting, at first thought car had been cloned, but in actual fact one of digits had been misread, by coincidence both cars same model and colour. Wasn't a problem , they quickly realised I was genuine and a mistake had been made.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Few years ago I got a speeding ticket in London even though I hadn't been there in years . Didn't take much sorting, at first thought car had been cloned, but in actual fact one of digits had been misread, by coincidence both cars same model and colour. Wasn't a problem , they quickly realised I was genuine and a mistake had been made.
I have just sent in a challenge using their photo as evidence.. I have gone back to being amused by it now..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
sent me a nice photo of my Audi but it has turned into a large Truck and where my reg number ends in UJ, this ends in JU.
How can such a mistake possibly be made?
Reversing letters in words when reading or writing is a very common human failing, so it seems it's not all left to the computer.

D

Deleted member 4366

I got a letter from an insurance company wanting a report of the accident I had been involved in. They gave details of the time and place, and I was there at that time, but I hadn't been involved in any accidents or seen anything unusual when I was there. I phoned them up to ask for more details. They said that my Range Rover had run into the back of someone, but I was on a Honda motorbike. When I explained that, they said that they must have made a mistake.

It's always puzzled me that someone gave them my number, when I was there at that time. Why did they take my number? It would be a chance in a billion that a range Rover with nearly the same number was there at the same time as me. Was someone trying to implicate me in the accident somehow but got the numbers between the two vehicles crossed over? Did they take my number as a potential witness?

Whatever it was, I never heard anything more.

Another time, I had two policemen knocking on my front door wanting to question me about an incident that was reported by two independent witnesses - one in a car and one pedestrian. They said that I had overtaken a car dangerously in front of a primary school entrance and nearly run over the pedestrian, who had been crossing the road there.

What actually happened was that i had been following a car that was driving very erratically with two women in it. It was going slowly and it kept nearly stopping and every time I tried to pass it, it speeded up again. I beeped it several times in the hope that they would either stop or go, but it carried on in that erratic manner. Some time later, the road opened up, so I was able to overtake it safely, and I could see the driver looking out the window with eyes like daggers. The primary school is not on that route.

I guess they tried to get revenge by concocting the story and reporting it to the police. When I showed the policemen where I worked and my logical route home, and I explained what actually happened, they sort of believed me, but they kept summarising by saying that I should drive safely. I just kept telling them that I was driving safely and that they should go and interview the women about possible perjury, wasting police time and bad driving. They didn't seem to like that.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I got a letter from an insurance company wanting a report of the accident I had been involved in. They gave details of the time and place, and I was there at that time, but I hadn't been involved in any accidents or seen anything unusual when I was there. I phoned them up to ask for more details. They said that my Range Rover had run into the back of someone, but I was on a Honda motorbike. When I explained that, they said that they must have made a mistake.

It's always puzzled me that someone gave them my number, when I was there at that time. Why did they take my number? It would be a chance in a billion that a range Rover with nearly the same number was there at the same time as me. Was someone trying to implicate me in the accident somehow but got the numbers between the two vehicles crossed over? Did they take my number as a potential witness?

Whatever it was, I never heard anything more.

Another time, I had two policemen knocking on my front door wanting to question me about an incident that was reported by two independent witnesses - one in a car and one pedestrian. They said that I had overtaken a car dangerously in front of a primary school entrance and nearly run over the pedestrian, who had been crossing the road there.

What actually happened was that i had been following a car that was driving very erratically with two women in it. It was going slowly and it kept nearly stopping and every time I tried to pass it, it speeded up again. I beeped it several times in the hope that they would either stop or go, but it carried on in that erratic manner. Some time later, the road opened up, so I was able to overtake it safely, and I could see the driver looking out the window with eyes like daggers. The primary school is not on that route.

I guess they tried to get revenge by concocting the story and reporting it to the police. When I showed the policemen where I worked and my logical route home, and I explained what actually happened, they sort of believed me, but they kept summarising by saying that I should drive safely. I just kept telling them that I was driving safely and that they should go and interview the women about possible perjury, wasting police time and bad driving. They didn't seem to like that.
This reminds me of a weekend long ago when we were away at Blackpool when daughter rang me to say garage had been broken into and motorbike was missing. I told her to ring police and I made my way home... On arrival Police were in my house drinking tea and one looked at his watch and said.. Mmm You have made good time from Blackpool and went out to give the car a once over!!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Wow!
what a surprise as I have never driven in London!
The Charge is for failing to comply with a prohibition on certain types of vehicles.
They have used my reg number to find my address and sent me a nice photo of my Audi but it has turned into a large Truck and where my reg number ends in UJ, this ends in JU.
How can such a mistake possibly be made? At first I was amused but I have read of people being perused over simple mistakes like this...
Cant do anything till Monday, and still not sure how to proceed with it.
Transformers!!!

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
These beaurocrats are a bunch of bumbling buffoons.
My wife was sent a charge notice a couple of years ago from Harringay yet she has never set foot there, their evidence was a pic of a car & reg. I sent a couple of derogatory emails to them stating that any of their fools should be able recognise that they had misread the number plate, after a few more emails they eventually turned round and said we were no longer liable to pay our fine.
Not only was the car a different model it was a different colour, they could be bothered to get the owners address but at the same time couldn't be bothered to check the vehicle details were matching.
As I say bumbling buffoons who are meant to be running our democracy, as with most of these cases you have to do their work for them as they can't even do simple tasks well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I once had a parking ticket, I had overstayed my allotted time. But the ticket registration had the numbers 341 as 342 so I thought myself sound.

But there was a car of the same make and colour with that registration in my locality and so I got it cancelled by taking my log book to show my registration.
How would the other person prevent a miscarriage of justice?

Morel of this story is to get the registration numbers out of sequence.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

its all just a faff to get easy money from stupid ppl imo as if i seen one of them try get my name addr ect to issue a fine not going to happen also the guy on the phone to the pigs is just making it up as its a civil dispute and the police would do them for wasting there time in the first place as no offence under law had taken place. ;)

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have noticed quite a few altered number plates of late, not designed to read as a name, but with a black capped fitting screw conveniently placed to make one letter or number appear to be something else.

Advertisers