Kalkhoff Agattu Belt Drive Chainring Loose-Which Tool to use ?

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
I have the Agattu Belt drive model. Has worked very well until this weekend. Suddenly a "Clacking " noise appeared. Only under assist, not when motor turned off. yes sounds like a motor problem I know. But two opinions from Evans Bike mechanics. One thought a motor problem. Then another noticed the chainring is loose, side to side travel is obvious. He advised to remove the crank and chainring locknut, clean threads, grease with appropriate grease and tighten locknut.

All very cheap and easy but Evans do not have the tool.

I looked on internet, including a few Kalkhoff dealers and found nothing in the way of the tool I need.

Yes I could take it back to dealer in Durham. This involves a bike and train booking. Evans is very close by.

Does anybody know the tool I need and where to buy one ?

The Shimano Pro Team XTR Chainring removal tool, looks about right, but is it ?

See lockring in attached photo.

Thanks all.

Steve Gray

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have the Agattu Belt drive model. Has worked very well until this weekend. Suddenly a "Clacking " noise appeared. Only under assist, not when motor turned off. yes sounds like a motor problem I know. But two opinions from Evans Bike mechanics. One thought a motor problem. Then another noticed the chainring is loose, side to side travel is obvious. He advised to remove the crank and chainring locknut, clean threads, grease with appropriate grease and tighten locknut.

All very cheap and easy but Evans do not have the tool.

I looked on internet, including a few Kalkhoff dealers and found nothing in the way of the tool I need.

Yes I could take it back to dealer in Durham. This involves a bike and train booking. Evans is very close by.

Does anybody know the tool I need and where to buy one ?

The Shimano Pro Team XTR Chainring removal tool, looks about right, but is it ?

See lockring in attached photo.

Thanks all.

Steve Gray
The picture is so unclear, and me not having such a system anyway, I have not got a clue as to what you are talking about. Sorry.
Maybe a new clear picture and a small arrow pointing at the offending part?
I hope someone who really knows this system can help far better and quicker.
regards
Andy

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Hi Andy,

You are quite right about photo. I will post another one with the crank arm removed. It is the serrated lockring behind the crank arm which will need to be tightened. There have to be other Kalkhoffs with this belt drive system out there, what happens if the chainring needs to be removed ?.

Thanks for your comment, I will do better next time.

Regards

Steve

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy,

You are quite right about photo. I will post another one with the crank arm removed. It is the serrated lockring behind the crank arm which will need to be tightened. There have to be other Kalkhoffs with this belt drive system out there, what happens if the chainring needs to be removed ?.

Thanks for your comment, I will do better next time.

Regards

Steve
I myself have not got a clue if such a tool is readily available, but I am sure that someone here does. Try and measure the nut for size, as close as you can.
I wish you luck.
Andy

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Hello all, Today I removed the crank and found the chainring is secured with a circlip. I now wonder if this Impulse 2.0 motor with Gates belt drive is SUPPOSED to have a floating chainring, much like the original Panasonic 26v Mid Drive Motors ?

Does anybody have another Agattu with Impulse 2.0 Motor to check this please ?

If the "Play" is normal, then the noise does point strongly to yet another Impulse motor fault.

I do not know if the chainring can be tightened with a special tool for the lockring in photo. It has 28 teeth.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Steve Gray

Attachments

MagicIron

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2021
Hi, I’ve just discovered this same problem on my impulse 1.0 - did you manage to find a solution?