Kalkhoff Agattu motor issue

gesanners

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2010
Hi,

My Agattu is about 18 months old and covers about 40 miles a week so has done around 3,000 miles total.
The bike has just developed a very annoying ticking/clicking noise from the front sprocket which is of course also the location of the motor. There is no play in the sprocket or pedals.

i've just had the front sprocket and chain replaced and this has made no difference to the problem. The noise sounds very similar to that you get when a bottom bracket is on the way out. I'm getting concerned because I understand the Kalkhoff Agattu has no bottom bracket as the bearings are needle bearings which don't wear.

I'm taking this up with the supplier but I'd like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of the problem please.

Gerry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is it the Impulse or the Panasonic motor unit Gerry? This problem is certainly known on the Panasonic unit.

Tonto55

May 19, 2014
Hi,

My Agattu is about 18 months old and covers about 40 miles a week so has done around 3,000 miles total.
The bike has just developed a very annoying ticking/clicking noise from the front sprocket which is of course also the location of the motor. There is no play in the sprocket or pedals.

i've just had the front sprocket and chain replaced and this has made no difference to the problem. The noise sounds very similar to that you get when a bottom bracket is on the way out. I'm getting concerned because I understand the Kalkhoff Agattu has no bottom bracket as the bearings are needle bearings which don't wear.

I'm taking this up with the supplier but I'd like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of the problem please.

Gerry.
Hi Gerry.

I am experiencing very similar noised from my Pro Connect which has a Panasonic motor.

It is particularly noticeable when the system is under load like going uphill, starting off or changing to a higher gear.

I suspect it is the drive sprocket but my worst fears would that the noise is from within the motor.

Regards

Tonto55

Tonto55

May 19, 2014
Hi,

Gerry.
Hi Gerry.

My Pro Connect has the same clicking/racketing noise as you describe. I find it most pronounces when the system is under load like cycling uphill, starting off and changing to a higher gear. It appears to come from the drive sprocket on the motor which is a Panasonic. I have 5400km done on it so far.

Regards

Tonto55

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Gerry.

I am experiencing very similar noised from my Pro Connect which has a Panasonic motor.

It is particularly noticeable when the system is under load like going uphill, starting off or changing to a higher gear.

I suspect it is the drive sprocket but my worst fears would that the noise is from within the motor.

Regards

Tonto55
On the Panasonic unit the source is most often the idler and drive sprocket combination causing snatching etc. You'll find a number of links on this page of my Panasonic support website that can be helpful in setting this up correctly.

gesanners

Mar 26, 2010
Thankyou all for your replies, it's great to be able to share knowledge and experiences. In my case I have the Impulse motor and I'm delighted to say that theproblem eminated from worn pedal bearings rather than anything more sinister.
If you haven't done so, try buying a decent set of pedals!

Reactions: flecc

Tonto55

May 19, 2014
On the Panasonic unit the source is most often the idler and drive sprocket combination causing snatching etc. You'll find a number of links on this page of my Panasonic support website that can be helpful in setting this up correctly.
Hi Flecc.

Thank you so much for that info. I think I might really be onto something here. I'll keep you informed as to how I get on.

Regards

Tonto55

Tonto55

May 19, 2014

Hello Flecc.

Just to update you on matters.
I turned around the drive sprocket and gave the chain a good lube.
I am pleased at how much quitter my bike runs now, however it didn't eliminate the noise completely. Is the idler sprocket prone to the same wear as the drive sprocket?, if so, should I turn it around or replace it for a new one?. If the noise still persists, all be it to a lesser degree, it must be from inside the motor.

A sincere Thank you for your help.

Tonto55

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's usually something to do with the idler in conjunction with the motor drive sprocket. The idler doesn't suffer wear but noise can come from it in various ways. One is the arm sticking or binding so it doesn't maintain free tension on the idler, causing the chain to twitch as it runs through. Another is the chain rivet ends or a chain link catching on the idler arm side plates. On a bike with derailleur gears, the rear changer arm and idler arm tensions can be in conflict, causing snatching that bounces the chain as it runs through. And the idler arm distance adjustment as shown on this link is important for smooth running. The chain tensioning is the only way to set this distance of course. Finally a tight link on the chain can cause the problem if it doesn't allow the chain to smoothly follow the idler whel contour.

Advertisers