Kalkhoff Tasman impulse 2.0

Muckypup

Just Joined
Nov 24, 2020
Hi Para , thanks for the detailed tutorial . . .even the seemingly simplest of jobs can appear Daunting .
Crank arms will slip off easily as cleaned and greased only a couple of days ago . And as it ‘appens I’ve an empty cereal box that would love to be involved.
Cooking a reat proper Curry first tho , av been off proper food all week , the loss of Ones ONLY Motorised transport can be like the loss of a Best friend .

Focused

Just Joined
Jul 30, 2022
Update:......I have the parts in my possession, After finishing a nightmare night-shift that literally saw me covered in brain mater yesterday, i'm refreshed and back on "Normally people" hours and ready to install the replacement PCB and the torque sensor. If these parts don't sort then I'm at a loss and will probably just install a front wheel hub motor and make use of the frame, battery, decent hydraulic brakes and other serviceable parts I have. I'll hopefully have a good news post at the end of the day.
I have a very similar issue, which turned out to be the transistors on the small pcb crank were broken off (mosly likely from a bad repair attempt of my crank bearings at a bike shop I took it to)

Have been trying to find anywhere I can get a replacement pcb.

where did you get yours?

Photo attached showing the pcb I’m referring to.

EE643BF7-B3B3-41DF-A319-134E7B6CA84D.jpeg

ciaranoma1

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2022
To @ThePara, well done!

To @vfr400 and everyone else,

I have a similar situation to @ThePara. I'm 99% sure I have an impulse 2.0 system which is on a "gazelle" frame (the insides of the motor I have look identical to @ThePara pics although mine doesn't have any branding on the outside, just a couple of stickers....see pics)

I start pedaling, pedal assist kicks in but a few seconds later it stops. It keeps kicking in for a few seconds and stopping again. How long it lasts is somewhat random but never more than say 10 seconds.

Battery fine, display fine. I opened the motor and it looks clean and dry. Also all bearings and gear wheels seem fine to me. I inherited the bike but I'm led to believe there's about 1,400 kilometers on it.

I should also mention I think the speed sensor is fine as the speed seems to register properly on the control panel.

Any thoughts on what else I could test to move forward? I'm thinking if the problem is electronic (which it surely must be as the mechanics look sound), it can only be a limited number of pieces but what can I do to isolate the bad one?

If a few more pics would help I can do that.

Attachments

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I start pedaling, pedal assist kicks in but a few seconds later it stops. It keeps kicking in for a few seconds and stopping again. How long it lasts is somewhat random but never more than say 10 seconds.
One possible reason for that is a dying battery. It will have just about enough voltage, but as soon as you take any current the voltage will drop and the BMS will cut the motor to protect the battery. Once the current drain is stopped the battery will regain its voltage and the BMS will cut in again.

ciaranoma1

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2022
One possible reason for that is a dying battery. It will have just about enough voltage, but as soon as you take any current the voltage will drop and the BMS will cut the motor to protect the battery. Once the current drain is stopped the battery will regain its voltage and the BMS will cut in again.
@sjpt thanks for replying. I've been using the battery on another bike for a couple of weeks now without issue so I think I can rule that out. The other bike is a front hub motor whose battery is dead so I've just hooked up the mid drive battery with ad hoc wiring but it all works ok.