Kit to electrify a road bike - feasible?

paido

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2009
Hi,

I'm really keen to get the benefit of electric assistance but I'd really also like to buy a road bike and there's a great deal on the Moser at wiggle at the moment.

Thus, I was thinking maybe it would be better to electrify the road bike above as it has an aluminium frame and stays, rather than buy two bikes and switch the wheels over when I don't require the electrical assistance. If so, would anyone here be kind enough to recommend a kit to electrify a road bike?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moser-bikes-speed-sora-2013
Many thanks

edit: just realised it doesn't have seat stays, therefore, maybe a bionx kit might be ok as the battery is mounted on the downtube? Oh no, it requires a freewheel and the bike in question has a cassette. That rules that one out then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Whatever bike you want to electrify. you have to start with a list of requirements and parameters.
How fast do you want to go?
how far do you want to go?
How heavy are you?
How hard do you want to pedal?
What sort of hills do you need to climb?
How much do you want to spend?
Any other special requirements?

paido

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2009
I'm reasonably fit and have a moderately hilly commute, therefore need something midrange imo, i.e. no more than 40 miles a day. Unless I get really muscular or fat I don't think I'll ever be heavier than 12.5stone.

I don't really want to go above £1.5k all in. The above bike costs ~£500 so was factoring in max 1k for the kit but preferably lower cost.

That bike weighs about 9kg so would be possible I think to get the whole thing under 20kg?

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Paido,

Cyclezee can supply conversion kits from eZee and Ansmann, if it is power and performance you are looking for, the eZee kit is hard to beat and you can find the details here eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits. £995

We have just become dealers for the German company Ansmann and the kit section of our website is not completed yet, but the Ansmann A-Type Pedelec System might be more appropriate for your requirements.
Here is a video of the German version of how to assemble Montageanleitung ANSMANN Pedelec-Nachrüst-Set - YouTube, an English version will be available soon. £799

We also have the Ansmann C-Type and the English version of the assembly video is here The ANSMANN Pedelec System Type C - Assembly Instruction and Initial Operation - YouTube. This kit has a Swiss manufactured direct drive motor and is priced at £1699

Finally if you are looking for something 'off the peg' this may be of interest Used Electric Bikes - electric bikes and conversion kits

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
get an 8-Fun crank drive, hub drive makes you put on fat, friction drive not good on hills, the only place where you really need assistance.
The good thing about the 8-Fun kit: you have to keep pedalling - it cuts out nearly instantly when you stop pedalling, making it natural to ride with. The bad thing about the kit: it's sticking out so obviously.
PS: you lose the front derailler if you use a crank kit.

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi We have the new 500 watt Baby kit £995 with a 10AH battery can set to run at 22 MPH

we have a motor fitted in a 700 c V brake Rim It takes the Gears' off the bike No Drag Built in clutch

Come to Banbury to see the kit open 7 days a week

Frank

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Perhaps i am biased but the BH emotion road bikes are excelent with crank drives and second hand less than a grand. see flecc;s stuff if you need more speed.
D8ve

D

Deleted member 4366

We need to know how fast you want to go. Road bikes are normally faster than MTB types. Some people want the assistance at speed to get a higher average speed, others want it to be legal, so only assistance up to 15 mph.