Krieger vs Zephyr-B

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Seeing as this thread and the original suspicions of spam posting, was started 9 days ago, i find it hard to believe that someone from Woosh haven't seen this thread.
If it were my company and it was innocent of spamming, i would certainly be on here to deny it.

Also, i thought Woosh, along with other ebike retailers, paid to advertise and post about their products on here.
If thats the case, why would they even need to self promotion spam ?
Yamdude
I read the Pedelecs forum postings on a daily basis but I am very hands on with regards to day today running.so free time is pretty impossible for me. I can assure you that Woosh has never spammed and doesn't intend to in the future. Perhaps you could PM the OP? .

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Yamdude
I read the Pedelecs forum postings on a daily basis but I am very hands on with regards to day today running.so free time is pretty impossible for me. I can assure you that Woosh has never spammed and doesn't intend to in the future. Perhaps you could PM the OP? .
Why would i want to PM the OP ? It was pretty clear i thought, that i A) Just wondered why you took so long to post on this thread..... and B) Didn't think you'd have any reason to spam.
Maybe you should direct your posts to the person that originally insinuated that the OP of this thread was in some way connected to Woosh.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Why would i want to PM the OP ? It was pretty clear i thought, that i A) Just wondered why you took so long to post on this thread..... and B) Didn't think you'd have any reason to spam.
Maybe you should direct your posts to the person that originally insinuated that the OP of this thread was in some way connected to Woosh.
I don’t know what you thought she should get involved at all? It had nothing to do with her. It was between KD and the other bloke.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I don’t know what you thought she should get involved at all? It had nothing to do with her. It was between KD and the other bloke.
Of course it was to do with her..... someone insinuated that the OP of this thread wasn't just an interested potential customer, but was in fact someone from Woosh or even Hatti herself just to highlight 2 of Woosh's products.

_VWV_

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2015
OP may just want KD to say sorry.
I want clarity. I want a definite statement form KudosDave confirming that "I am in some way affiliated with woosh, and hence my posts do not contain my newbie questions, but were rather written with marketing/advertisement purpose, and hence everybody trying to help me are wasting there time?"

Alternatively, KudosDave could come up and say that his insinuations have absolutely no direct evidence whatsoever, and hence with his post he was not trying to imply that "I am in some way affiliated with woosh, and hence my posts do not contain my newbie questions, but were rather written with marketing/advertisement purpose, and hence everybody trying to help me are wasting there time?" And hence the post represents just an attack on a forum newcomer by mistake/out of bad mood/for some other reason.

An honest individual with some dignity and with respect to other people would, under the second option, rush to pardon himself, not to make me feel better, but as a natural necessity and to feel better himself, and perhaps to try to rescue his sinking reputation.

However I do not need to hear "I am sorry" from KudosDave. I only care about my good name and reputation, which suddenly got under attack for absolutely no reason.

_VWV_

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Of course it was to do with her..... someone insinuated that the OP of this thread wasn't just an interested potential customer, but was in fact someone from Woosh or even Hatti herself just to highlight 2 of Woosh's products.
But as the OP came back quickly and said he wasn’t why should she get involved? It was just a misunderstanding that should have been left there.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I want clarity. I want a definite statement form KudosDave confirming that "I am in some way affiliated with woosh, and hence my posts do not contain my newbie questions, but were rather written with marketing/advertisement purpose, and hence everybody trying to help me are wasting there time?"

Alternatively, KudosDave could come up and say that his insinuations have absolutely no direct evidence whatsoever, and hence with his post he was not trying to imply that "I am in some way affiliated with woosh, and hence my posts do not contain my newbie questions, but were rather written with marketing/advertisement purpose, and hence everybody trying to help me are wasting there time?" And hence the post represents just an attack on a forum newcomer by mistake/out of bad mood/for some other reason.

An honest individual with some dignity and with respect to other people would, under the second option, rush to pardon himself, not to make me feel better, but as a natural necessity and to feel better himself, and perhaps to try to rescue his sinking reputation.

However I do not need to hear "I am sorry" from KudosDave. I only care about my good name and reputation, which suddenly got under attack for absolutely no reason.

_VWV_
Your good name is perfectly safe on this forum. Because no one here really gives a f*ck about any of this. I tell a lie. You do, and so it seems does Yamdude.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
What does he think the Hee Hee's were about. Some people?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Your good name is perfectly safe on this forum. Because no one here really gives a f*ck about any of this. I tell a lie. You do, and so it seems does Yamdude.
Since that prize onanist from KTM's narcissistic acting out caused d8veh to leave the quality of the discourse on the forum has really improved no end( hint: I do not know how to be more ironic than this)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Since that prize onanist from KTM's narcissistic acting out caused d8veh to leave the quality of the discourse on the forum has really improved no end( hint: I do not know how to be more ironic than this)
Have you thought about taking classes?

I doubt d8veh will like that you think he was seen off by KTM. Not sure quality of discourse was his area of expertise really. More his knowledge of electrics.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Still, we do miss him, don't we?
Trex, have you been taking an advanced night school class in English as She is Spoke? With particular attention to the differences between sarcasm and irony?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Still, we do miss him, don't we?
we do, he offered some respite from these kind of threads
Have you thought about taking classes?

I doubt d8veh will like that you think he was seen off by KTM. Not sure quality of discourse was his area of expertise really. More his knowledge of electrics.
yes, I was reflecting more on the quality of your discourse.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
we do, he offered some respite from these kind of threads

yes, I was reflecting more on the quality of your discourse.
Strangely enough I had grasped that. Still you can’t please all of the people all of the time….

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Looks like you are the world expert on Woosh bikes,surprised that anyone could make a much better job of detailing them....you wouldn't care to add a website,address and phone No to complete the job.
And all done on 3 postings,hehe.
Hatti is normally more subtle,hehe.
KudosDave
Given the balanced/honest review he has just posted regarding his Woosh bike, I don't think he works for Woosh (or was given an incentive by them, else they should ask for a refund).

I have however some doubts on other people posting over-positive reviews of their bikes...People should be a bit clever at least, and find a few negative points!

_VWV_

Oct 4, 2015
Hi everyone.

I was recently contacted by a forum member asking for my opinion of my Zephyr bike, so I though I should update you with my experience and with problems I faced so far.

About this review:
I use my bike to commute to work in Edinburgh bout 6.6 miles both ways, on average about 6.2 or so times a week. I did about 1.2k miles on the bike so far. I ride it under whatever weather conditions (I don't take a bus if, say, it rains). I store my bike at home overnight, and outside at work (it's exposed to low temps and moisture, but it's shielded from rain). I charge it every day. I try to save time on commute and maintain 15 m/h speed, so on a hill I would pull the throttle to 100% for max load on the battery.

Ok, with that said, here is what I think.
First of all I was mentioning before that the folding mechanism feel a bit flimsy. Well, nothing has changed. It still does, but it does not progress any further. The only thing I had to do about it is to oil the hinge once, coz it was making high pitch sounds. I guess folding bikes would never feel as solid and sturdy as their non-folding counterparts. As long as it does not affect my riding experience, I am fine with that.

At about 800 miles I had to true my rear wheel. I don't have a stand not a tesiometer for spokes, nor any experience. 1 week after one og the spokes on the rear wheel broke. Is this because I overtightened it, or it was made of bad quality metal.. who knows. I gave it to a pro for repairs and he told me that due to huge weight of the motor in the wheel and the fact that Edinbrgh roads are far from smooth (hell they ARE far from!), the spokes are expected to suffer quite a bit. Lets see how long they are going to last.

Due to salt in the Edinburgh air some fo the bolts on the bike got really rusty. Not a problem as I don't need to undo them, just shows that some parts are not rust-proof

Suspension still works fine even though sometimes I almost lose control when hitting yet another bump on the road at high speed. So the bike does get a lot of mechanical beating and stress, but survives well so far.

Breaks work great. Really they do. The tiers however start to wear a bit and I noticed that when it rains and I pull the breaks really hard the read axis starts to go sideways. It did not happen at the beginning, suggesting that the grip has deteriorated a bit. Perhaps in about a year from now I'll change the tiers and when I do so, I'll probably get something else.

Now to my biggest complaint about the bike. Not particularly about mine, but about the design itself. I think it has a flaw that makes life a bit inconvenient and that could have been fixed really cheaply had the engineers thought about it.

The battery charge port resides on the side of the frame facing road. Which means that all the water from the street goes right into the battery connector. Now this poses problems. First of all after each rainy ride you see green paste coming out of the connector. What is it? Copper oxide from the connector? Isolation plastic dissolved by the "road chemical cocktail"? I have no idea. The problem is that I noticed this only like 500 miles after. So this means that quite a few times I was charging my battery with this chemical cocktail present in the connector. Now this adds electricity which kicks electro-chemical reactions into play, and things are getting complicated.

I believe (although no firm data) that as a result of this I must have damaged the connector on the battery. Now sometimes I plug it, and the light on the charger stays green i.e. it's not charging (and if you do nothing about it, next morning it feels like it did not charge indeed). Sometimes its enough to move the plug inside the connector and it starts to charge. Sometimes you have to clean the connector and the plug with propanol.
It feels like (I have no data as I don't have instruments to measure the battery capacity, I just rely on the onboard computer which is probably VERY inaccurate) that due to increased resistance of the battery connector, the battery won't charge to 100%. It feels like the battery lost around 20-30% of it's juice as a result (again it's not firm data, also because my commute is way under the expected battery mileage and I charge every day). But perhaps it could also be just normal aging.

Well, regardless, in order to charge I now HAVE to take the battery out (otherwise it won't charge), plug it, and sometime clean the connector. Taking the battery out means that your hands are dirty.

I think this could have been avoided it the battery connector could be closed with a rubber plug of some sort so that water from the road could not reach it directly. Even if what I have now with the battery is considered as "normal aging", it still does not feel right that the chemical cocktail from the road has direct access to the connector.

I won't do anything now, but when I change the battery (perhaps in 1-1.5 years from now), I will think of how to secure the connector with some sort of plug/cap.

Ok, with that said, am I happy with the bike, would I buy one again?

I am happy with the bike and I would buy one again. However, if there is a similar bike on the market with a better designed battery compartment, I would go for that one.

I guess you get what you paid for, and for the money I have paid for it, the bike is worth it.

If you are a lady and not prepared to mess with the battery, perhaps you would have to pay a bit more, as, at list at the time of purchase, according to my market research, Zephyr was the most affordable option for it's features.

In about 1 year from now it will have paid for itself (annual ticket for public transportation here in Edinburgh costs 630 pounds)

_VWV_

Hutch

May 15, 2016
Brussels
Thank you very much for that complete review update. As I plan to buy the Zephyr-B, it's useful.

Sellers and repairers often told me that foldable bikes hinges are prone to noises and wear after 1 or 2 years (especially for 20'' with multiple hinges) . Depending on usage of course. I don't plan to use it for commute, only rides on week-ends or a few miles during the week to relax. For heavy load and daily trip I guess we have to spend more money on different brand/models. Anyway, following your review the Zephyr-B seems to do the job until now.

I'm a bit disappointed about rust on bolts. My old mountain bike is 20 years old and there isn't any rusted screw or bolt. But it has always been stored indoor. And dried after a rainy ride. I've read most ebikes in that price range don't like being outdoor for hours when the weather is wet. Even when they are protected from direct rain.

About the battery connector, it's weird there isn't any protection. I've got a 550£ basic ebike and there's a rotating plastic cap on the connector (moreover the battery is vertical and the connector is on the lateral side near the saddle). I would probably try to make one with rubber.

I've seen many other models have conception flaws. Engineers still have to improve some parts. That Zephyr-B model seems to be very common in Asia. There are a lot of look-a-like ebikes on foreign websites. So I expect it is a reliable one after all. Could they be building and selling so many 26'' foldable ebikes if they weren't durable?

I really like the full suspension and the high wide handle bars for comfort, so I think I'll buy it anyway. Again thanks for the feedback.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Grease is the best defence against rain water.
The green coloured gunge is from oxidation of the battery output contact copper blades.

this is the battery of the Zephyr-B:

the charging socket is a jack at the bottom left corner. Next to it, to the right, is the lock. Above it, you can see the 4 slots for the 4 metal blades of the output port. These blades, lock and the charging port need greasing. Without grease, anything metallic except gold will corrode.
Any grease will do but I usually use white Lithium grease.

What happens to _VWV_'s bike could be that he parks his bike outdoors, rain water sips through the folding join, some will go vertcally straight down and drips out through the openings for the charging port and lock. A good dollop of grease everywhere where metal may be oxidized will fix his problem.