Help! Kt sinewave installing lights

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
So I have bought a pair of 6v axa led front and rear lights and I have wired up the front light to the light output on the controller and when I turn the bike on the light comes on and I ant turn it off using the up arrow on the controller and an error 10 and error 6 appears along with a battery on the display which is the GD01

What have I done wrong do I need to change some settings

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't know how many times I have to tell you guys. Never wire decent lights to your controller. Nearly everybody gets problems. I told you in the other thread that it probably wouldn't work. Did you measure the voltage on the controller's light connector? Did you check that the power rating of your lights is less than that connector's supply?

Sorry to be so harsh. I feel your pain. It's just frustrating.

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
I don't know how many times I have to tell you guys. Never wire decent lights to your controller. Nearly everybody gets problems. I told you in the other thread that it probably wouldn't work. Did you measure the voltage on the controller's light connector? Did you check that the power rating of your lights is less than that connector's supply?

Sorry to be so harsh. I feel your pain. It's just frustrating.
I don't have access to a voltmeter so a dug out the manual for the controller which said 6 to 12v 0.5a and the axa blueline 30 switch I have says 6v so I assumed it would be good

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
My KT controller only has the ability to supply 70mA safely on the lights output, it is a most peculiar circuit and looks like an afterthought. This is enough to run one light. But I wouldn’t risk running a pair from it.

There is a 51 ohm resistor on the output that will blow if too much current is drawn.

It’s much safer to buy a 12 volt dc to dc converter and use 12 volt led lights. The converters are inexpensive, but that’s another device that needs to be mounted on the bike and kept dry.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Which KT controller is it and do you have a link to the manual? 500mA seems an awful lot from a KT controller.

Last edited:

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
My KT controller only has the ability to supply 70mA on the lights output, it is a most peculiar circuit and looks like an afterthought. This is enough to run one light. But I wouldn’t risk running a pair from it.

There is a 51 ohm resistor on the output that will blow if too much current is drawn.

It’s much safer to buy a 12 volt dc to dc converter and use 12 volt led lights. The converters are inexpensive, but that’s another device that needs to be mounted on the bike and kept dry.
My AXA front light has an on/off switch at the back of it and a connector to power the rear light so I think a converter would be the best option.

My battery is 36v do I need to get a 36v to 12v buck converter and hook into the battery power line or is there another line and can spure off

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
The dc to dc converter needs to be run directly off the battery. I fitted a double pole marine switch, so the controller and dc to dc converter don’t drain the battery when the bike isn’t being used. I also fitted an inline fuse on the output of the converter to protect it in case of a short circuit.

Does your controller still work properly with the lights switched off?

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
The dc to dc converter needs to be run directly off the battery. I fitted a double pole marine switch, so the controller and dc to dc converter don’t drain the battery when the bike isn’t being used. I also fitted an inline fuse on the output of the converter to protect it in case of a short circuit.

Does your controller still work properly with the lights switched off?
When the light is switched on I get an E10 error when I switch it off I get an E6 battery and E10 error which is strange

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Looks like bad news. I have read that people overloading the lighting circuit only blow up the output resistor on controllers that have a piggy backed lighting pcb. But yours looks like it’s more terminal.

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
Looks like bad news. I have read that people overloading the lighting circuit only blow up the output resistor on controllers that have a piggy backed lighting pcb. But yours looks like it’s more terminal.
I just checked and when I disconnected the light completely I don't get any errors on the controller

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
This will do the job if you can find somewhere to put it.

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
This will do the job if you can find somewhere to put it.

Yeah thats my issue now, finding somewhere to put the dc converter on a 20" foling bike with rear rack battery

steverebo

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2023
QWORK® Auto Step Up/Down Voltage Converter, Voltage Regulator Transformer Module for Power Conversion DC8-36V to 12V https://amzn.eu/d/jl8pTqM

Would this one be suitable?

It's much smaller and I recon I could squeeze it into the same space as the controller

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Rather than a buck converter,
QWORK® Auto Step Up/Down Voltage Converter, Voltage Regulator Transformer Module for Power Conversion DC8-36V to 12V https://amzn.eu/d/jl8pTqM

Would this one be suitable?

It's much smaller and I recon I could squeeze it into the same space as the controller
Voltage is not high enough. I'd get the 60v version.

Stick this one in a bit of old inner tube:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I bought a front light with anti dazzle beam (same sort of spec as a car headlight) with buck converter integral, same with a rear light which also has a brake function. There's lots about, here's first example on a search , not sure about the beam on this one but otherwise all complete with wiring and switch.