Legality of Battery voltage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
EU directive has a LVD of 75 vdc for electrical equipment but this doesn't include EPAC's /Pedelelecs.

The below BS EN15194:2017 the latest regs Afaik are correct.
This European Standard applies to EPAC bicycles for private and commercial use with exception of EPAC intended for hire from unattended station. This European Standard is intended to cover all common significant hazards, hazardous situations and events (see Clause 4) of electrically power assisted bicycles, when used as intended and under condition of misuse that are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer. This European Standard is intended to cover electrically power assisted bicycles of a type which have a maximum continuous rated power of 0,25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the EPAC reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling. This European Standard specifies requirements and test methods for engine power management systems, electrical circuits including the charging system for the design and assembly of electrically power assisted bicycles and sub-assemblies for systems having a rated voltage up to and including 48 V d.c. or integrated battery charger with a nominal 230 V a.c. input. This European Standard specifies safety and safety related performance requirements for the design, assembly, and testing of EPAC bicycles and subassemblies intended for use on public roads, and lays down guidelines for instructions on the use and care of such bicycles. This European Standard applies to EPAC bicycles that have a maximum saddle height of 635 mm or more and that are intended for use on public roads. This European Standard is not applicable to EPACs which are manufactured before the date of its publication.

The above mentions specifically upto and including 48v vdc,
So it appears vendors are flouting the regs by taking the 48vdc as meaning nominal and not the upper most max voltage to use and also many of us use the nominal 48v on our homemade bikes.

We know Wisper are taking the regs as maximum hence their new Wayfarer range having 11s/40v batteries which fall well within the 48vdc max limit.

What does every one else think about the above regs and their take on reading it, 48v nom or 48v max.
I see it now as actually meaning 48v max.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The reason I why I have looked in to this and raised the question of ambiguity is that a Spanish e skate board producer is now entering the ebike world with a start up fundraising effort by selling ebikes and kits using BT tech, so all will be wireless connections barring the hub motor.
The power source is 52v nominal.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-unlimited-ebike-conversion-kit#/

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I'd agree. 48v maximum (i.e fully charged) rules out every current 48v rated bike. This is probably how Wisper have interpreted it, hence their decision.

What I find more interesting/ suspicious is why. Higher voltage = lower current i.e. safer.

What with the recent law-change in France and now this, I feel EAPC's are coming under a bit too much scrutiny for my liking...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
for systems having a rated voltage up to and including 48 V d.c. or integrated battery charger with a nominal 230 V a.c. input.
I'd say 48 volt nominal.

My basis for that opinion is in the above quote, the rated voltage.

It's similar to the position on EAPC maximum continuous motor power, 250 Watts rated but always actually well in excess.

With both cases stating maximum, without inclusion of the word rated, they would be actual.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: danielrlee

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
for private and commercial use with exception of EPAC intended for hire from unattended station
This bit intrigues/ worries me. By excluding these types of "Boris Bikes" from the regs, they're potentially able to split the market into "e-bike users" and "e-bike owners".

Once this is done, they can then legistlate harder against the owner group without affecting hire users.

I suspect the EU may be about to start ruining our fun....

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
EU directive has a LVD of 75 vdc for electrical equipment but this doesn't include EPAC's /Pedelelecs.

The below BS EN15194:2017 the latest regs Afaik are correct.
This European Standard applies to EPAC bicycles for private and commercial use with exception of EPAC intended for hire from unattended station. This European Standard is intended to cover all common significant hazards, hazardous situations and events (see Clause 4) of electrically power assisted bicycles, when used as intended and under condition of misuse that are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer. This European Standard is intended to cover electrically power assisted bicycles of a type which have a maximum continuous rated power of 0,25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the EPAC reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling. This European Standard specifies requirements and test methods for engine power management systems, electrical circuits including the charging system for the design and assembly of electrically power assisted bicycles and sub-assemblies for systems having a rated voltage up to and including 48 V d.c. or integrated battery charger with a nominal 230 V a.c. input. This European Standard specifies safety and safety related performance requirements for the design, assembly, and testing of EPAC bicycles and subassemblies intended for use on public roads, and lays down guidelines for instructions on the use and care of such bicycles. This European Standard applies to EPAC bicycles that have a maximum saddle height of 635 mm or more and that are intended for use on public roads. This European Standard is not applicable to EPACs which are manufactured before the date of its publication.

The above mentions specifically upto and including 48v vdc,
So it appears vendors are flouting the regs by taking the 48vdc as meaning nominal and not the upper most max voltage to use and also many of us use the nominal 48v on our homemade bikes.

We know Wisper are taking the regs as maximum hence their new Wayfarer range having 11s/40v batteries which fall well within the 48vdc max limit.

What does every one else think about the above regs and their take on reading it, 48v nom or 48v max.
It says "rated " voltage, not maximum or operating voltage. It's the same as the motor maximum"rated" power of 250w. when certified Haibikes draw three times as much.

The other thing is, unless they've changed it recently, the voltage is only mentioned in the scope of the standard. It used to say that the standard applies to all bikes up to 48v. Nowhere in the standard is there a clause that specifically limits voltage or specifies what that means.

My interpretation is that a "nameplate" voltage of 52v is outside the scope of the standard, so doesn't comply, but if they labelled it a 48v kit, they're home and dry regardless of the actual voltage, the same as motors rated at 250w.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This bit intrigues/ worries me. By excluding these types of "Boris Bikes" from the regs, they're potentially able to split the market into "e-bike users" and "e-bike owners".

Once this is done, they can then legistlate harder against the owner group without affecting hire users.

I suspect the EU may be about to start ruining our fun....
We're safe in this respect, we are outside of the EU now.

The EU differentiation if it happens is likely to be for fast charging reasons, a higher voltage and consequent lower current requirement suits the public charging stations for hire bikes such as the Velib scheme in Paris. They could use the existing street light cable voltage and supply capacity.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok thanks flecc & vfr, yes no maximum voltage is stated and as you say it would indicate that 48v battery (nominal voltage) is encompassed within the 48vdc limits.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Many moons ago (in the 70's) I worked for BT, in fact so long ago it was still the GPO. The exchange equipment worked on 50v dc and everyone was well aware of it's powers to, for instance, contract one's bowels or cause severe burns. Of course, depending on the size of the exchange, this could be backed by a 1000A open cell battery (how do ya fancy that on yer rear rack?). Also this system was earthed so it was possible to be that circuit to earth if in the wrong place, as opposed to a bike battery that can only be shorted to itself. However the possibility of quite severe damage remains at 50v and it suprises me that there is an allowance to go that high.

Advertisers