Leon Cycles U.K. (NCM)

SteveG2

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2020
Hey all,

looking for some info. I bought an NCM Prague last Spring from Leon Cycles. It’s a great bike and I’ve done many miles on it hassle free.

My wife has now decided that she would like one so I was going to give her mine and upgrade to the Moscow.

I noticed that the company seems to have moved from Wigan to Altrincham and their website went offline for a short time but is now back online.

The problem is, I can’t get hold of them. I’ve emailed, rang, messaged via FB etc but not had a response. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them recently or ordered.

I love the bike but unless I can get hold of them I’ll perhaps start looking at alternatives to the Moscow.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Google says they're permanently closed and reading a few reviews, suggests others cannot get hold of them either.

Probably legged it back to Europe or China, before Boris can screw them over any more!

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Maybe covid related shut down or financially related. Can't say I have ever come across the brand name and they've been going since 2014 according to farcebook

Reactions: SteveG2

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike is an EU brand bike, Brexit has likely made them unviable to sell in the UK so have likely shut up shop due to cost.

Have look at UK brands like Woosh, Wisper or Juicy. Oxygen may be another possibility.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I think the OP's contact with them last year was the exception rather than the rule. Many correspondents here and elsewhere report failure to engage.
I have always found the parent company Leon Cycles in Germany helpful and would suggest contacting them, though others have found their service to be poor. Their bikes offer excellent value for money and are robustly built. I've done 8500km on my NCM Moscow and have had no issues other than wear and tear.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I have a moscow which I bought from ebay. Had a faulty charger and couldn't get hold of the UK outfit. Ended up contacting the German arm who sent me a new one under warranty no quibbles, but that was before we became a strong and independent nation (gonna' wash that EU out of my hair...).

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike and Woosh

SteveG2

May 4, 2020
I have a moscow which I bought from ebay. Had a faulty charger and couldn't get hold of the UK outfit. Ended up contacting the German arm who sent me a new one under warranty no quibbles, but that was before we became a strong and independent nation (gonna' wash that EU out of my hair...).
That’s good to know. I love my Prague and I’m willing to buy a Moscow but it’s frustrating not being able to contact them.

SteveG2

May 4, 2020
The bike is an EU brand bike, Brexit has likely made them unviable to sell in the UK so have likely shut up shop due to cost.

Have look at UK brands like Woosh, Wisper or Juicy. Oxygen may be another possibility.
Appreciate the suggestions. Given that NCM offer a good spec MTB for the money, is there a particular model that you can recommend out of the manufacturers that you’ve suggested? I’ve looked at Haibike as powerbikes have discounted one model down to around £1900. I’m tempted but ideally I’d like to stick to around £1200

SteveG2

May 4, 2020
I think the OP's contact with them last year was the exception rather than the rule. Many correspondents here and elsewhere report failure to engage.
I have always found the parent company Leon Cycles in Germany helpful and would suggest contacting them, though others have found their service to be poor. Their bikes offer excellent value for money and are robustly built. I've done 8500km on my NCM Moscow and have had no issues other than wear and tear.
Good suggestion, I’ll reach out to Germany

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike frame style is quite a generic style frame and there are others that look vey much similar. Oxygen to name one & elife bike/ideal world tv. Prices all vary dependant on equipment spec. The Frames are all China or Taiwan and like wise are all the electronics.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They’re a German brand I believe
I've met the owner and been out for meals with him, and I've been to his factory. He's definitely Chinese and so is his factory. He set up a distribution deal with Leisger. He told me that he chose the Leisger name, though that name has been around for quite a while. At the same time, he was selling kits on German Ebay. Later, he made his own brand called Foo Bikes that were also sold through Leisger and through a dealer network across the world. Many of the electrical parts he uses are standard, but rebranded Das Kit.

He also told me his big idea was to create a brand that reflected German quality and robustness. It seems to have worked then!

SteveG2

May 4, 2020
I've met the owner and been out for meals with him, and I've been to his factory. He's definitely Chinese and so is his factory. He set up a distribution deal with Leisger. He told me that he chose the Leisger name, though that name has been around for quite a while. At the same time, he was selling kits on German Ebay. Later, he made his own brand called Foo Bikes that were also sold through Leisger and through a dealer network across the world. Many of the electrical parts he uses are standard, but rebranded Das Kit.

He also told me his big idea was to create a brand that reflected German quality and robustness. It seems to have worked then!
Yeah hat off to him, he seems to have captured a large market in Australia and Canada too.

SteveG2

May 4, 2020
Just as a follow up @jokskot suggested that I reach out to head office in Germany.
I messaged them via Facebook and had a response almost instantly. I was then passed to Monica from U.K. support (still in Germany).

She answered all my questions thoroughly and explained that although they’ve closed the physical store in the U.K. they still ship bikes and a full range of spares within 3 days. They also have plans for further U.K. stores this year.

Having had a NCM Prague for 12 months I’ve now passed that to my wife and ordered the NCM Moscow. I had a good look round at various other brands but pound for pound struggled to find something that offered better value, especially as due to Covid many models are out of stock. The Woosh Rio would have probably been my next choice but it too is out of stock sadly

I get that Suntour forks won’t allow me to jump canyons and that I can get lighter frames etc but for what I use it for age 53 (leisure riding trails, woodland etc) it has a good range, puncture resistant tyres and recognisable component brands all at a price that doesn’t break the bank.

I drool over some of the bikes that you guys have on this forum but I can’t justify spending multiple thousands given my intended use.

Thanks for all the input guys, these forums are a great source of knowledge.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk