Li-ion Battery Life

Robin Frame

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2010
Gazelle support

I promised to update the forum on my dealings with Gazelle.

Yesterday, without warning, a large parcel was left with a neighbour. In it were two new batteries, one which fitted my Easy Glider bicycle(s) and one for an older 2007 model. I already have been through the bit of explaining that my bicycles are both the bigger 2008 type. I now have two "wrong" batteries sitting here. (And four "correct" ones, three of which are reduced to four cells.)

Also in the parcel was a complete motor unit. I am trying to figure out whether this is supposed to fix a fault. I reported two faults to Gazelle, one about the older bicycle which now had all its handlebar controller lights coming on faintly when they shouldn't, and a second report that the newer bicycle had developed a clicking sound as you right pedal and seemed never to show just one power LED "on" constantly but instead changing directly to a slow flash. The bike cuts out without a quick flash reminder around 17 to 18 miles. I found it did this with the newly delivered battery as well as with the four cell batteries. (I would expect around 21 to 24 miles as when the bicycles were new.)

I suspect that the new motor may be intended for my older bike, and in this case it may be the lower powered unit for a 2007 model matching the accumulating accumulators for a bike I don't possess. But I haven't found how to tell which it is.

Fabulous bikes, a delight to ride, a pleasure to behold, worth every penny, but the dealership in Scotland gave up on Gazelle - possibly in frustration.

Robin

No news from Gazelle as yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sending out a complete new unit is Panasonic's normal response to any warranty problem Robin, but I know of no certain way to determine which your replacement is. Even with the latest e-bikes using these units, there are several internal variations to fit each bike makers requirements.

However, the 2007 Easy Glider didn't have the high power mode, so you may find the wires to the connectors are different from your present 2008 models, one fewer wire to the handlebar control connector, indicating a 2007 model.

Robin Frame

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2010
handlebar controller

Thanks, Flecc,

I have found a handlebar controller in the parcel. It is for the 2008 high powered motor. I suppose it makes sense to send out a sealed complete motor unit. Replacing parts within is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Robin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds like it will be ok to fit the new unit then Robin, it seems certainly worth the try. If you do end up with the old unit spare, whether broken or not I'd appreciate the chance to obtain it from you since we don't have access to a new unit at present for some of the repair and modification checks we want to research.

Advertisers